Digital volume control

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Digital volume control

Unread post by karatestu »

Apologies if this has been discussed before but I don't remember :whistle:

Many modern Dacs have digital volume control. Is it a good way to control volume with a digital only system ? I suspect all digital volume controls were not made equally so there may be some good examples and some bad ? What I would call good is something that is of equal or better quality to a good quality switch and resistors in a stepped attenuator.

Transparency is everything for me so I don't want to dirty any windows in any way, just clean them or remove them altogether :grin:

As I think about entering the modern digital age the thought of buying a dac becomes closer to the front of my mind. I won't be ditching the Cd player or vinyl so my plan was to have a file / streaming based source with dac and possibly digital volume control (depending on SQ ) alongside the other sources.

Being a 90's Naim cdp it doesn't have a digital out and one can't be added as Naim disabled any way to do it in their software :roll: . So I could have the cdp and vinyl sources going in to a stepped attenuator as normal and use digital volume control for the file based source. If the source selector is wired in AFTER the stepped attenuator then it should work.

Other option is to run everything through the stepped attenuator and bollox to the digital volume control. I am too much of a purist to put an anologue source through ADC and then DAC just for the sake of using digital control on everything.
DIY FREE ZONE

montechristo358
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Digital volume control

Unread post by montechristo358 »

personally i say no, most attenuate by changing the bits. can't ever be a good thing
Bedroom Rig
PiCorePlayer Squeezebox clone, Allo Boss Dac, NVA AP10H with Stepped Attenuator upgrade and external PSU, Audioquest Nightowl Cans, NVA mini BMU

Office Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DIGI+, NVA SSP Digital, Arcam AV9. NVA SSC, NVA AP10P, NVA LS5, NVA Cubettes, NVA Mini BMU

Kitchen Rig
PicorepLayer Squezeebox clone with HifiBerry DAC+, NVA SSC, NVA P50, Project AMPBox, Sonance Ceiling Speakers

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

montechristo358 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:46 pm personally i say no, most attenuate by changing the bits. can't ever be a good thing
This was the attitude I held until I thought about it. As you reduce volume, the details get squeezed into the noise. Why is that so different to reducing the bits?

Let your ears decide.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

There is a difference between 'Hardware' volume control in some DAC's which has little or no impact on SQ - or 'software' volume control where the digital signal is modified (usually at the expense of SQ).

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

My brother's dCS has a good volume control, but the more affordable dac's maybe not, unless the manufacturer intended it to be used as a pre.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Thanks to all for the advice. I will forget that idea.
DIY FREE ZONE