Solution in search of a problem?

All general audio posts go here.
Lurcher300b
Has thanked: 0

Solution in search of a problem?

Post by Lurcher300b »

David (MCRU, yes I know, lets have that conversation later) pointed me at this thread.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-u ... 1-a-28609/

Now I absolutely am biased about this as I make sand sell linear power supplies, but I would be interested in folks (in particular The Dr, and Colin W's) view on the thing.

At first it seemed like a good idea. Isolate the input from the output using (I assume) mosfet switching to muliplex between two banks of capacitors (big ones up in multiple Farards). But the more I thought about it the less convinced I am about any advantage. Its basically a much more complex version of the Trichord never connected supply, but the use of supercaps means the switching can be slower (more capacitance) and they switch both leads to the caps, so the input is isolated from the output. That sounds good, but on further thought, a transformer isolates the input from the output, so that’s not a issue. A good quality regulator can reduce noise down to the point it matters not. Good layout and thoughtful design can keep mains born HF away from the output, and the regulator can reduce the output impedance to as low as you want to make it. So what’s the point? people seem to be falling over them self on that forum, am I missing something?

Oh, and by the way, any advantage a supercap may give in terms of low output impedance and high current capacity, is removed my putting an off the shelf 1A regulator on the end of it it seems to me, and that reduces the max current to 1A, and the limits of the supercaps in use put a limit of 7v on the thing.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Solution in search of a problem?

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Daft! throwing components and complexity at a perceived problem. For me simplicity is best, get as much out of the way of the signal and supply as possible. I even think regulating boards are an over complexity sometimes. It is always a trade off.

Quality not quantity.

Lurcher300b

Post by Lurcher300b »

Yep, I would agree with all of that. I am a big fan of regulators in supplies, but the right ones in the right place, and in some situations, better not being there.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Post by jammy395 »

Yup.......Now I absolutely am biased about this as I make sand (Lurch)

Why make sand...?
Why not just collect sand in yer wee bucket at the beach. :lol:

Lurcher300b

Post by Lurcher300b »

He that is without typo among you, let him first cast a stone, and so on.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Post by jammy395 »

Mmmmmm Dan should be along shortly. :lol: