Mains Power Quality

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Mains Power Quality

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am pissed off with the quality of our mains, and even of our distribution method both national and domestic, but that last bit I have ranted about before, and members who live on the Continent, think yourself lucky.

We have a badly thought out distribution and generating system that does not give consistent quality or quantity. If we had to put up with a water supply as badly polluted as our electricity supply there would be both illness and severe complaints. BUT because most people don't know we just put up with it. The only equipment that shows the problem in usage is GOOD hi-fi, and how many people have that :roll: There are hidden problems we all have though, we just accept that modern washing machines, fridges freezer all fail after time, we put it down to cheap Chinese manufacture. It isn't, it is the quality of our mains overheating motors. In the UK Distortion and DC on the waveform is excessive and AGAINST the remit of the supply companies and therefore illegal but they are getting away with it for the sake of corporate profit.

What is needed is a campaign of complaint the same as would happen if it was your water supply involved, we all deserve, especially because of the rip-off prices we pay PROPER CLEAN ELECTRICITY.

The Permed One
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mains Power Quality

Post by The Permed One »

Good luck :lol:

What are you complaining about that your appliances don't last long or that your stereo does not sound right? If it's the latter how do you listern to the mains? :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Is this serious are you asking a serious question. Do you know *anything* about electronics or hi-fi or are you here as some sort of a bluff :x

The Permed One

Post by The Permed One »

Yes i know but before the mains outlet in your wall i don't give a rats arse, just as a lot don't

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Post by _D_S_J_R_ »

We're lucky here and the mains here doesn't go off very much, if at all. The BMU maybe tells me when it's bad, and it's often at bedtime, being almost silent most daytimes :shock: This is the one macca had at home by the way...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

alfer

Post by alfer »

If you want a constant clean sinusoid wave get a regenerator.

I a bought Power Inspired job and it showed me how relatively good my mains is. You could go for a MikeMusic, MartinT PSAudio but they cost much more
AtoZ

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It doesn't fully solve it, it is a cure, it is best NOT to have the illness, and in most European countries they don't have it and if they do then far less. Does anyone here understand my point :x if your water from the tap was this bad would you put up with it.

And as for daft thinking like Permy, if you don't know any different or don't understand what is being said to you then the best idea is to stay out of it and LEARN, instead of spouting crap all the time. Ignorance is not bliss :x

Fretless
Netherlands

Post by Fretless »

I've had amp transformers humming quite noisily when the farmers around hear are using heavy-duty machinery. But this is out in the sticks and we're on a side limb of the main grid.

A few years ago army helicopters on a training flight went through the only power cables to this area whilst flying over the river. Apache rotor blades are armoured to cut through cables strung across ravines. 250,000 people had no electricity for 3 days and it cost the government heavily in compensation paymens.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Post by SteveTheShadow »

Another problem is those HomePlug devices that allow the mains wiring to be used to transmit data around the your house and anyone else on the same phase as you. Apart from the digital hash being fed into the mains from these things, I wonder if HomePlug users stop to think about how secure that is.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

jammy395

Post by jammy395 »

Guess im lucky up here, our Electricity is made from Water (Hydro) :shock:
And seems to be very good indeed......