Akai SW175 speakers: Anyone know them?

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Akai SW175 speakers: Anyone know them?

Unread post by Andrew »

Ok, so I know very little about these. They have been passed between a couple of mates over the last year or so. Big 6 way 94db jobs with 15 inch bass units.

I won't be keeping them, given my circumstances. I swapped them for a Captain's chair that was headed to my favourite charity shop anyway. I'm just wondering if there's a decent speaker in there trying to get out or not. I'll either just donate them to the charity shop or auction them and donate the proceeds. I've no idea what they are worth, which doesn't help in knowing which is best. I'm thinking they have to be worth at least £50 of anyone's money.

I'm tempted to at least re-wire them internally but I don't want to harm the value if there is any, or waste my time on a lost cause. I had a quick listen and tonally they are very nice. Sound staging is where they fall down, but I've not experimented so may be using them incorrectly.

Any thoughts or experience of them?

Macca

Re: Akai SW175 speakers: Anyone know them?

Unread post by Macca »

Specs are here

http://www.hifiengine.com/library/akai/sw-175.shtml

If you want to move them on I will give them a good home assuming we could sort collection/delivery out.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Ooooooo Errrrrrr........!!!!
Akai.jpg
Akai.jpg (10.17 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
Look kind of mmmh Japanese. :think:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Yeah that's mine, except they have plain grilles (thank god). Condition of cabinets is pretty tidy. Macca: you're welcome to them if you're ok to make a donation to the charity and can somehow collect/arrange whilst I'm still here. I'm away again from the 17th Jan but will be back for one more stint. I don't have a final leaving date yet.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Have you finalised what system is going with you.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

What is your UK location and I'll see if I can sort it before the 17th? Happy to make a donation or better still I'll just pay you cash on collection and you can donate it. I was thinking around a ton would be reasonable but let me know on that also :)

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Have you finalised what system is going with you.
I wish I had. I'm still thinking of dragging the Spicas over there, which is something I really wanted to avoid. Trouble is, everything else is I've tried just so inferior it's impossible to accept. I'd really hoped for something more domestically appealing, like the. Royds or Elas. My ears would never forgive me though.

I'm also having to think hard about vinyl. It's crazy hot for half the year and I've just read on another forum about a guy in Oz whose records warped. I'd hate to pay loads to ship it all and then find it melted one day. The thought of not having vinyl makes me want to give up completely, so I guess I'll probably compromise and take a pared down collection of vinyl. I'm sick of too many boxes and cables so I might just take a Rega rather than my Analogue Works deck and ISO/ Hera.

I'm also thinking of taking a single box CD although I'm unable to choose right now (Quad, Micromega or Arcam) Amps will either be my current NVAs, my Audion Amp or I'm even thinking of buying another NVA integrated to cut down on boxes and wires.

The place I was buying fell through, so the next trip is to try and find an alternative. When I know exactly where I'm going to live, I can at least plan around the space. More space will allow a higher box count, I guess.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Hi Macca. Honestly, I think the charity would be happy with half that. It's a good cause though, so I'll leave it completely up to you. It's Bryson's Animal refuge that I support. Also their charity shop which is called The Tulip Tree.

http://www.brysons.org.uk

I'm west of Newcastle, beside the Airport. Just drop me a PM and I'll give you the full SP. I'm happy to Pack as best I can. They are pretty heavy as you can probably imagine, but not "Isobarik" heavy so no problem for anyone to collect. As long as I use good stuff on the corners they should be fine and dandy :D

There's always someone around so any day is fine.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

PM sent.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

I'm still thinking of dragging the Spicas over there, which is something I really wanted to avoid. Trouble is, everything else is I've tried just so inferior it's impossible to accept. I'd really hoped for something more domestically appealing, like the. Royds or Elas. My ears would never forgive me though.
(Andrew).

Dont do it Andrew, The Spicas are far to heavy, fragile, awkward, & troublesome to ship so far....... :naughty:
Sell em to me instead - You could visit and hear them whenever you liked....... :pray: :shifty: