Comparing tone arms

All general audio posts go here.
applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Comparing tone arms

Unread post by applemarc »

I want to buy a tone arm for my SME30 so replacing my SME V which can sound a bay dull when placed on the 30 so How do I do it go to my local HiFi dealer and ask to compare the competition but wait they don’t have any in stock. So I phone many dealers all advertising tone arms some appear to be very knowledgeable telling me why I should buy this or that tone arm ( oh but we don’t have any here)

What is one to do buy from a UK dealer at an inflated price or just go straight to a dealer in the US or Europe and get it cheaper?
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Compareing tone arms

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Go straight to the manufacturer or buy 2nd hand so you can sell on with no little or no loss (maybe even profit).

zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Compareing tone arms

Unread post by zebbo »

applemarc, I know it's only a fraction of the price of an SME V but the series 5 Audiomods arm is amazing value. I tried an SME IV on my Anni and it just didn't cut the mustard, sounding dull and lifeless. I then tried an Audiomods IV and the difference was striking, the music gained "life" and emotion and became a joy to listen to. The only area where the SME seemed to out-perform the Audiomods IV was in the bass which was slightly deeper and tighter, but that seems to be sorted with the series V. Jeff lives/works in Deal and is very helpful and accommodating and might even loan you an arm to try. Not familiar with the arm mounting on your deck are you stuck with the SME style mounting?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

applemarc

Re: Comparing tone arms

No on my short list are the following Graham Phantom Supreme, Wheaton Tri-Planar and a Brinkmann 10.5 only the Graham has a SME option but I can buy spare armboard from SME. I'll have a look at the Audiomods arms
Beresford Caiman Ipod

selby

Unread post by selby »

Just want to say all the equipment you've listed looks beautifully engineered, stunning in fact. I hope one day I can enjoy owning such equipment.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Personally, I'd buy Origin Live as they sell direct and offer a full refund if not to your tastes. I also like their arms although I'm not a huge fan of SME.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Bloody hell. :shock:
However, I would still try an Audiomods just for the bloody hell of it, I'm sure, at about £600 it would give those multi-thousand £££ super-arms a bloody good run for the money!
Mind you, as we all know, it's synergy that gives the results.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

applemarc

Ok guy's I'm well aware that lot's of people do not like the SME and I think that the SME10,20 are not great but I think the 30 is I will admit it's a bit dull with the SME V arm the the V work in some combinations it does work well with the Roksan TT's. So I have spoken to Robert Graham and he actually used the SME30 to test the Phantom but he also said I should try to compare his phantom with the Tri-planar. So all I have to do now is compare I may also listen to the Audiomods arm and the audio origami PU7
Beresford Caiman Ipod

applemarc

After several hour’s trilling the Internet I found a Dutch dealer with two new Graham Phantom Supreme II in stock. Now the cheapest price I got here in the UK was £3950.00 that’s without a dem and a 4-week wait Used price from the US was £2600. But from the very nice man from Holland £2700 and only 3 day wait.

All I have to do now is sell the SME V
Beresford Caiman Ipod