Turntable.

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
southall-1998
Wales

Turntable.

Post by southall-1998 »

These are fab record players. I really like them!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOWNSHEND-Eli ... 4612d3dac9

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Turntable.

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Agreed, the only belt drive I could live with.

zebbo
Great Britain

Post by zebbo »

Hmm, only heard them on a few occasions and yes, they have their strengths, particularly bass control but I've not found them "nice" to listen to, they never connected emotionally, much like the Garrard 301/401 - hard to fault but just not hitting the right buttons for me.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

southall-1998
Wales

Post by southall-1998 »

zebbo wrote:Hmm, only heard them on a few occasions and yes, they have their strengths, particularly bass control but I've not found them "nice" to listen to, they never connected emotionally, much like the Garrard 301/401 - hard to fault but just not hitting the right buttons for me.
Horses For Courses!!

To my ears, the Rocks are VERY revealing turntables. They don't do glamour to your records !!!!

Agreed with the bass.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

zebbo wrote:Hmm, only heard them on a few occasions and yes, they have their strengths, particularly bass control but I've not found them "nice" to listen to, they never connected emotionally, much like the Garrard 301/401 - hard to fault but just not hitting the right buttons for me.
Never use the trough. It kills a lot of information and low level dynamics.

zebbo
Great Britain

Post by zebbo »

Horses for courses indeed. I tried many different turntable types/manufacturers when I was trying to find one that worked for me and had very nearly given up on the whole vinyl thing when I crossed paths with a Pink, (an Export), and that was me sorted. 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound JC3+, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

southall-1998
Wales

Post by southall-1998 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Never use the trough. It kills a lot of information and low level dynamics.
Some chaps say, if you don't use the trough on your Rock, the Rock then becomes a '''basic'' turntable which is no better than a Rega Planar 3. Hmm, well I don't know about that :hand:

It's still a good turntable with out the trough.

I always use mines with the trough, as it sounds more '''controlled''' and smoother with it!! (To my ears)

S.
Shane Lonergan.

zebbo
Great Britain

Post by zebbo »

"Controlled" is a very good word for it, yes.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Post by Andrew »

I do like the Rock. I've had a few over the years but my first one seemed much better than the later ones I had. It might just be arm/cart choice. I do love the design though and they are well built.

There are lots of threads on DIY "Armageddon" style PSUs for the Rock, so I might have a go at making one for mine. its not much more than a transformer in a box. A nice shiny black acrylic case would look nice. The one on EBay right now has the Merlin anyway, so no need for whoever wins it.

southall-1998
Wales

Post by southall-1998 »

Andrew wrote:I do like the Rock. I've had a few over the years but my first one seemed much better than the later ones I had. It might just be arm/cart choice. I do love the design though and they are well built.

There are lots of threads on DIY "Armageddon" style PSUs for the Rock, so I might have a go at making one for mine. its not much more than a transformer in a box. A nice shiny black acrylic case would look nice. The one on EBay right now has the Merlin anyway, so no need for whoever wins it.
Next, I want an excalibur tonearm for my Rock!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.