Creek

Post any interesting items from ebay here...
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Creek

Post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: All the people like DSJR now coming out of the woodwork and saying yes it was bad and we see it now and yet at the time I was treated as a nutter and insulted in the shops these people worked in.
I understand your justified anger issue here, but our slight acquaintance predates this by several years.. I admit to my firm doing this to Myst though, their neatly made little amps being rather better than we ever gave them credit for. The 'terrible-twosome club' was just too big a thing for our livelihoods to ignore. They all but self destructed eventually and I've been told that both companies were up for sale for some years around the late 90's to mid noughties.

Oh yeah, SN2 - take the DAC board out, alter the layout a little and charge loads more for the privilege. Methinks we've been here before...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well forget the talk of merger that was just for ego sake, Naim has been sold / taken over.

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Post by Andrew »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: All the people like DSJR now coming out of the woodwork and saying yes it was bad and we see it now and yet at the time I was treated as a nutter and insulted in the shops these people worked in.
I understand your justified anger issue here, but our slight acquaintance predates this by several years.. I admit to my firm doing this to Myst though, their neatly made little amps being rather better than we ever gave them credit for. The 'terrible-twosome club' was just too big a thing for our livelihoods to ignore. They all but self destructed eventually and I've been told that both companies were up for sale for some years around the late 90's to mid noughties.

Oh yeah, SN2 - take the DAC board out, alter the layout a little and charge loads more for the privilege. Methinks we've been here before...
I was treated as a nutter and mildly insulted for simply trying to hear things like Myst, Townshend and NVA. Actually, the nutter bit was probably justified, but not because I wanted to seek out hifi gems :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There are thousands like you Andrew, but still probably a majority wont admit they were hoodwinked, conned into buying what they wanted to sell you. There was a telling comment a while back as to dem music. Why do you think magazine reviewers pushed Dire Straights all the time. Because it is rhythmically perfectly suited to the flat earth artificial bounce. So the shops used it and it added to the whole thing yet again, just helped create the merry-go-round of stupidity that became the hi-fi industry back then.

Look at some peoples record and CD collections to see where they are at. Not one classical record but loads of Dire Straights and other approved flat earth offerings, even now that is all they listen to.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

:lol: I visited a friend recently, who has always had a flat earth penchant. The same record was sat on his LP12 as it was the last time I visited him. Yep you got it!

Seeing you refer to them above was like you're telepathic or something.

I always seemed to "go my own sweet way" with purchases but I really was sneered at by dealers even though I was buying products they stocked. Often, I had to argue a case for even hearing some things because they wanted to sell me something else.

I'm glad Dave gave a nod to the little Myst amp. What a sweetie that was. I had one for a good while during the bad old days and it saw off loads of contenders. It was finally replaced by.........NVA :D

Welder

Post by Welder »

I was rather fond of the 102/207DA combo from Quantum Electronics.
Another that springs to mind was Crimson Electronics of that era.
There used to be a Hi Fi shop in Watford where I lived at that time. I showed a bit of interest in some second hand Crimson gear they had on a shelf. Could I get them to let me demo them with my speakers and deck…..could I feck!

Had them both at some point and still have the Quantum combo tucked away somewhere. :think:
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That would be KJ Watford. If I remember rightly DSJR worked there for a while, perhaps it was him you dealt with.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I just swapped a Quantum combo to a friend. Very likeable albeit very Naim-like. I also remember KJ West One. A real candy store.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

KJ West One has been sold lots of time, recently it has been owned by Steve Wilcox the owner of the old Hi-Fi Consultants in Peterborough. I think there is a new owner who I suspect to be the Wimbledon Womble.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

You just couldn't find a lot of the "round earth" kit up North. It was a case of travelling to hear it, buying blind via mail order or taking a punt second hand. Somehow the challenge of tracking down many of these bits was half the fun! :D