Who makes the most empty box

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Who makes the most empty box

Unread post by Andrew »

Pigsy wrote:guess this one

I think I've seen this one before. If I'm right, I've owned one too. Cambridge CD4 or CD5. I'm guessing CD5

Pigsy

Unread post by Pigsy »

CD4SE that one - lots of empty space yet still a good performer

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Agreed. I really liked my CD4SE. It used to be my brother's and he loved it too. Sadly, it conked out within a few months. I bought a CD5 but it just wasn't anywhere near as good.

Oldpinkman

Unread post by Oldpinkman »

Hey don't be too quick to knock it. Imao a bit of space is a fine thing. The prize for the most crammed full box goes to pip 1 and you'd better pray it never needs servicing! ! :D
Not Funk Firms paid marketing department - but friend of Arthur K's and ex-Pink Triangle.

Open minded, but always right

gus3049

Unread post by gus3049 »

Oldpinkman wrote:Hey don't be too quick to knock it. Imao a bit of space is a fine thing. The prize for the most crammed full box goes to pip 1 and you'd better pray it never needs servicing! ! :D
You ain't seen my OTL :o No room for spiders even!! Or dust. Or anything.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

I thought "less" was best :?:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

its not less per se that is the problem , it is less plus extortionate pricing .

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Is opening the lid on the pip1 the hi-fi equivalent of opening the bonnet on a Bentley turbo?

With the Naim Flatcap being the equivalent of a Morris Oxford with the engine removed?

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Flat cap is an atrocious product in a crappy case that could be easily beaten by a reasonable DIY jobbie. Something like a Teddycap or Sonic Bliss will bury a Hi-Cap, let alone a flattie and will cost less too.

Everything Naim built in that slimline case is an abomination as far as I'm concerned: NAC 92, NAP90, Nait3 and Flatcap are all utter horrors. I've enjoyed many Naim setups in my time, but for me these are the worst products the company has ever churned out.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I agree Andrew. Amps like the old classic 42/110 combination and the NAP250 are decent enough amps. It's just the pricing when new and when 2nd hand that puts me off when there are so many other amps that are at least as good and cost less. And when you go to the more modestly priced products such as the Flatcap or NAP90 the engineering content and sound quality isn't there, but you're still pay a significant amount of money for them.

If Naim sold their products at about 10% to 20% of their current prices I'd be recommending them as pretty good value for money. At £70 to £150 the Flatcap would be reasonable value for money new.