Connecting P50sa - problems...

All things NVA
Anesthetise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Poland

Connecting P50sa - problems...

Unread post by Anesthetise »

It's still quite early, so my mind should be clear, but after 45 minutes of cable switching I'm quite confused...
I just received my P50sa pre amp and I tried to connect it. I have a DAC, plugged it to 'CD' input. The selector is on CD, and only left speaker is playing. When I turn the switch on other positions (tape, tuner, aux), nothing comes out of the speakers. I tried switching the cables between inputs and in all cases only one of speakers is playing, either right or left.
The only working position for both speakers is this one, while selector is on Tuner (sorry for bad quality pic):

There are two options: either I'm silly, or it's broken, but how is that even possible :shock:
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

jammy395

Re: Connecting P50sa - problems...

Unread post by jammy395 »

It's still quite early, so my mind should be clear, but after 45 minutes of cable switching I'm quite confused... (Quote Anesthetise)

I would give yer mind another 4hrs 30min's Anesthetise............... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Luv ya........ But the amps probably said (I aint playin this shit before ive even had time to warm up)........................ :dance: :doh: :clap: :lol:

Figlet will help...

Anesthetise
Poland

But... I... don't...
Ugh, I like your writing style Jammy, but everytime I have to decipher it :lol: Now I have absolutely no idea what did you mean :oops:
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Hi Anesthetise plug the red and black from your Dac! into the red and black of the aux phono's just below Direct set the p50's selector dial to Aux then anything plugged into the dac will play through the Aux ! then anything else cd / tuner etc applies to the relevant switching :)
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Is this a new P50SA?

Looks like you have SP or SSP between pre and amps. Resist moving that until absolutely necessary (look for the Docs guidance on that). However, since you have both channels working, the problem appears to be before that.
Does the DAC have volume control? Have you tried going to the direct input (which should bypass the preamp attenuator.
Hold the P50 steady when pulling the cables so as not to strain the SSP.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

fafarskid

Unread post by fafarskid »

Why did you connect inputs like on photo.? It is wrong. Does it play correct that way?
If you have got build in volume knobs in A80s, you double volume control with P50sa. It is strange, if you use only DAC.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Nope it just dont look right....................... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Anesthetise
Poland

O lol, that is quite... Unexpected :lol: Don't say I have to send back my A80s :x I need a pre amp.

It's a second hand pre amp.
Last edited by Anesthetise on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fafarskid

If you like connect more then one source, you need sources switch. You can use P50sa as switch, but you have double volume pots in the signal way.

fafarskid

Looking on the picture from the left, you've got pairs of inputs red (right) and black (left). One pair is for one switch connection named above each pair.
Second hand means someone used it and should work correct.