Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: record cleaning

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

Cheers Doc,

ordered 50 - I see that he is the same chap who makes the Moth record cleaner.

I thought that I would see how many records I manage to clean with the litre of resin w, then work out the total cost for doing all my records and make a decision based on that.

Thanks for the advice. Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

He doesn't make the Moth record cleaner, he just sells them. Moth is a different company called Moth Marketing run by Mike Harris.

MOTH MARKETING

10, DANE LANE, WILSTEAD
MK45 3HT BEDFORD, BEDFORDSHIRE

Phone: 01234 741152
Fax: 01234 742028
www.britishaudio.co.uk/index.htm

Helge Gundersen
Been thanked: 0
Norway

Unread post by Helge Gundersen »

There's a 1483-post thread (sticky) on wood glue at Audiokarma:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

I haven't delved into it.

I use a Nitty-Gritty vacuum cleaner. It seems that most vacuum cleaners are roughly similar in performance, although I haven't compared any. I, too, have seen Keith Monk hailed as superior.

The latest and possibly ultimate technology seems to be ultrasound. People buy ultrasound cleaners, often from China. They are apparently not well suited to LPs to begin with, so they are adapted with a motor for rotating the records and stuff like that. People often describe this as building an ultrasound cleaner. There is an ultrasound LP cleaner ready-made in Germany. It can take one record and is very expensive (something like £1500).

guydarryl

Hi Helge,

Thanks for the link.
As the update at the start of the thread says, it is well worth going straight to page 34 - interesting read.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Docfoster wrote:I bought an RCM that one plugs on to one's domestic vacuum nozzle and turns by hand. Works incredibly well and was a lot cheaper than the automatic RCMs
Interesting!

Any links to websites etc?
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

MILD GREEN FAIRY LIQUID......(diluted of course)......... :dance:

or

VANISH.......(in the dish washer)....... Test on Des O Conner first............ :lol:

guydarryl

boom boom :character-cookiemonster:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

A little trick I used at shows to make the dems sound better. It sound incredibly daft and I have spoken about it before and I don't think anyone took me up on it. It smells a bit so I don't use it at home. And if you leave it a few weeks you have to clean the records. BUT it is about £1000 upgrade on your record playing system.

WD40!!! just a light spray, it migrates around the grooves with a little help from the stylus - report back :mrgreen:

BTW I take no responsibility for anything, you do it at your own risk.

guydarryl

Hi Doc,
thanks for advice on glue, liners and WD40!

I think that I will pass on the WD40 - just worried that a coating on the stylus may encourage build up of crud ?

The liners work very well used inside the card inners supplied with many records. No more scratching sounds as I remove the record from the sleeve :dance:

With older records, where there is a poly lined paper inner (lots of Decca) I would like a recommended source of similar liners (Any offers anyone). Or I suppose that I could use cheap paper liners in conjunction with the Nagoaka style inners.

The glue works beautifully. Only problem is the time it takes - particularly cold couple of nights recently and the glue took about two days to cure (indoors but away from radiators).

I used Evostick wood adhesive (£8.00 from Amazon for 1 litre).
I estimate that I could clean about 20 albums per litre
For 1000 albums that would cost about £400.
So for my collection in the region of £500/600 - not sure exactly how many albums I have and wife and kids would laugh at me if I spent an evening counting them, already had enough flack about the cleaning and inner changing :lol:

So it would appear that an Okki would make more financial sense. BUT, having had a look at quite a few of my albums had made me come to the conclusion that they don't all need a clean, and would I really clean the lot whichever method I chose?
I think that I will stick ( :roll: ) with the glue method for the time being, and only use it with those albums which really need a clean.

On a related issue, I don't believe that new albums need a clean to remove "mold release agent", as I don't think that it was ever used in pressing plants. Please feel free to shoot me down in flames on this one if I am wrong, but I think that the actual compounding of the PVC with stabilisers and pigments made a material which wouldn't stick to the stampers anyway. Any ex pressing plant operators available to prove one way or the other?

All the best. Guy