BBC World Service Gear Auction

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: BBC World Service Gear Auction

Unread post by wallace »

I went all the way to page 25, but by then I was only interested in the stair carpet... :confusion-confused:
I wonder what 8 days will bring to the LS3 5/A's.They will all end up in Japan, best place for them I say, never rated mine... :D
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

wallace wrote:I went all the way to page 25, but by then I was only interested in the stair carpet... :confusion-confused:
I wonder what 8 days will bring to the LS3 5/A's.They will all end up in Japan, best place for them I say, never rated mine... :D
Yup! another waste of time and money, BBC loudspeaker designs and designers. :handgestures-thumbdown:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

I made mine from a Wilmslow Audio kit in the 80's.I didn't know much about stuff then :think: ,but I was amazed at the size of the crossover board, it filled the whole of the rear of the cab, only the BBC licence payers could have funded this sort of anal enginering.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The BBC way, cardboard cabinets, honking Bextrene drivers, and a ridiculously complex crossover to justify the design and to compensate for the crap they used.

The old way, expensive and quality drivers, heavy cabinets and simple crossover. AND Lindsay will tell you along with the old Tannoy users which way is right.

dazmb

Unread post by dazmb »

And phase 2 is lined up with a mere 1000 lots...

"Phase 2 (Equipment released after July 1st 2012) - Over 1000 lots of Calrec, Audix, Audionics, Rogers, EMT, Sonifex, Denon, Revox, Tascam, Sennheiser, ElectroVoice, Edirol, Harbeth, Technics, Studer, Allen & Heath etc broadcast / studio sundry equipment "

I think the BBC are as guilty as any other public sector entity of having totally lost their way with budgetary restraint. Anyone see 'Volcano Live' recently on BBC2? Oh yes, let's just send our two presenters all around the world before we get to Hawaii to shoot fairly lame film segments to fill air time.

Even worse was a recent Horizon special of a once in a lifetime solar eclipse of little UK general public interest, where 3 ladies choosen for their looks it appeared to me went on multiple excursions each around the globe to help 'explain' to us plebs the science behind the event which apparently can't be done in a studio in London or Manchester. Of course it can't BBC. Why do that when you can jet teams of film crew off around the world (doubtless not economy class) at the licence payers expense.

The BBC should be moving to a pay per view system. It won't happen as it would shake their leftie/liberal world to the core. Heaven forbid the public find out the truth that much of the BBC's channels output costs are a shed load more to produce than could be supported by a small interested audience paying for it. Like the tat on BBC3 for example....
NVA - AP20 / LS5 / SSP / Rega RS1 / Arcam DV139 / Atacama Nexus

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Good rant :clap:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:The BBC way, cardboard cabinets, honking Bextrene drivers, and a ridiculously complex crossover to justify the design and to compensate for the crap they used.

The old way, expensive and quality drivers, heavy cabinets and simple crossover. AND Lindsay will tell you along with the old Tannoy users which way is right.
Like the Snell Type K and Js 8-)
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Snell aren't old in these terms, they are American, where they didn't fall for the BBC bullshit. They followed the old way from the Vilcher / Alison / Klaus way originating in the Acoustic Research AR1 in the 1950's.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

OK, I see Richard. Can't say no to a good pair of Snell Type JII speakers. Bloody good sounding speakers IMO.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I completely agree with you, and compared with a pair of shite early BBC Spendors like the BC1 it is just musical chalk and cheese.