Flat Earth - what does it mean in Hi-Fi terms?

All general audio posts go here.
Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Re: Flat Earth - what does it mean in Hi-Fi terms?

Unread post by Ordinaryman »

standards, that's a good one :pray:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

In terms of the sound - when compared to my known references - I would describe a heyday 1983 Flat Earth system LP12, Ittok, Asak, Naim 32.5, 250, Briks as having a wooly bass from the TT, a somewhat bleached two dimensional sound with a synthetic midrange from the amplification, with nebulous imaging from the speakers. And in my room the choice of tight but too lean bass with the speakers pulled out into the room, or a less tight fuller bass with them against the wall. Dynamics were OK, better than many systems, but not as good as the best. The upper midrange had a hypnotic quality, reminding me of the ringing of a small pleasant tinkly hand bell. The treble was sweet. Sacharine sweet.
Biggest sonic flaw of this top end flat earth system was that it lacked separation and focus of the musical instruments.

Other systems do a better job of making it sound like there are actual musicians playing actual instruments in your room.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

My LP12 / Ittok / Karma - 32/160 - Kans set-up sounded wonderful...

...on about 6 records out of 600. And those really did sound fabulous. Lots of toe-tapping.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

keepitsimplestupid
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

I think the meaning has been reinvented and shifted numerous time over the years. It's just a catch all term for simply designed uk kit.

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Just makes you wonder why people are still so verbose about it, so long ago and probably would be forgotten if not constantly referred to? And in the end who, if any suffered from it, only those who committed to it? If you weren't one of those then why continue to complain. Nav objected because of the flack received as I understand it, and quite rightly so it would seem. I wonder how many people complain about certain manufacturers without ever owned any of the products refers to? Any money I sp----d away was down to me, my decision no one ever forced, coearsed me in my recollection.
If you were cleaver, bright enough to have avoided it good for you. I dare say we all enjoy whatever we listen to and as someone once said, two ears one mouth use them that way. :grin:

Andy-831
Great Britain

Unread post by Andy-831 »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:13 pm My LP12 / Ittok / Karma - 32/160 - Kans set-up sounded wonderful...

...on about 6 records out of 600. And those really did sound fabulous. Lots of toe-tapping.
And that for me was the problem your system chose the records

Andy

Started with LP12 ittok asak into 72 /140 into Sara's finished with 82/135 mono plus various other main bits and not forgetting the power supplies of which there was many.
Analogue
401 / PU7 / AT33ev
Longdog Audio Quartz Garrard PSU.
Longdog Audio Phono stage (MCj1)
Digital
NVA BMU.
Innuos Zen / Caiman Seg and Dorado
Cambridge CXC
Amps
Tron Seven Linestage.
Bel Canto Set 40, or Audiolab M-PWR
Speakers
Tannoy GRF Memory.
Tannoy ST100 Supertweeters

Berty bass
Great Britain

Unread post by Berty bass »

The question was prompted originally by someone on another forum referring to themselves as 'a proud flat-earther'. As I'd only ever really understood the term to be used disparagingly I thought they might be using it to describe themselves as an adherent to the Linn/Naim nexus. From this discussion I think that - broadly speaking - appears to be not too far off the mark. The merits of being a flat-earther are a different discussion all together, of course - though none the less interesting for that. :guiness;

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

Absolutely right.
there is little knowledge to be gained from a 40? Year old argument what couldn't be sorted then is unlikely to be sorted now, everyone and and his uncle have an opinion (including me). Best left to to those who have nothing better to do, or bears some sort of malice. ;)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ordinaryman wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:25 pm Absolutely right.
there is little knowledge to be gained from a 40? Year old argument what couldn't be sorted then is unlikely to be sorted now, everyone and and his uncle have an opinion (including me). Best left to to those who have nothing better to do, or bears some sort of malice. ;)
An argument about whether it's worth arguing about is not a worthwhile argument...I would argue.

Maybe, you have nothing better to do?

;)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Ordinaryman
Great Britain

im sure you could, point proven and like me you seem able to "find the time" :roll: