What does your car say about you ?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: What does your car say about you ?

Unread post by karatestu »

I once parked outside Image Audio in Leeds (about 1999) in my Fourtrak. I had to park at the side of the road with a concrete bollard quite close to front bumper and when parked i could not see the bollard over the top of the bonnet.

Well i came out of said hifi emporium with some goodies and a big smile on my face. Threw said goodies in the back got in the drivers seat, started the engine and set off without a thought for the concrete bollard in front. There was quite a noise as i pulled away and steered slightly to the right to join the carriage way. I stopped and got out to have a look.

The bollard was laying on it's side. Oh bugger what has happened to my car ! Went around the front and found a very small dent in the metal bumper and nothing else. I managed to hammer it back out when i got home. That was the first dent and scratch of many that this thing has received and it just laughs them off. Built like a brick shit house. 19 years old this September and it sailed through the last MOT.

Oh and it is good in the snow too (being a 4WD) and it makes me laugh to see the BMW (worst car in the world in snow) wankers stuck and waiting for help.
DIY FREE ZONE

Jonty2547
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

I posted a pic of my Subaru track car earlier in the thread and i've done thousands of miles on track (Snetterton, Brands, Silverstone and "The Ring") and as theres some spirited drivers on here, some of you guys should give it a go.
As well as having a bit of fun it'll make you a much much better driver whilst understanding the limits of what ever car you drive in the safety of a race track.
I gave it up a few years ago due to costs, but i can't think of more fun to be had for reasonable money.

Some vids on my old Youtube channel..
https://youtu.be/LbUA-w06Oh4
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

I drive a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with 115,000 miles on it now. Two wheel drive, standard cab with 6 foot bed, 5 speed, no power doors or windows. Just a basic bit of transportation and work. In good condition, but nothing fancy.

Used to have a 1994 Mustang GT that I owned for a lot of years, but sold it before we moved. It was a victim of downsizing. Fun car to drive, but it has kind of lost its allure. We previously lived in a rural area with lots of open roads. When I first acquired it, friend and I put it through its paces, and had it up to 143 MPH.

These days if I had my druthers I would have something comfortable. I would prefer something along the lines of a Nissan Maxima, an Infinity, or maybe an Acura sedan. Having a bit of horsepower when needed, but comfortable seats, low road noise, and good tunes is what interests me.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Neonknight wrote:I drive a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with 115,000 miles on it now. Two wheel drive, standard cab with 6 foot bed, 5 speed, no power doors or windows. Just a basic bit of transportation and work. In good condition, but nothing fancy.

Used to have a 1994 Mustang GT that I owned for a lot of years, but sold it before we moved. It was a victim of downsizing. Fun car to drive, but it has kind of lost its allure. We previously lived in a rural area with lots of open roads. When I first acquired it, friend and I put it through its paces, and had it up to 143 MPH.

These days if I had my druthers I would have something comfortable. I would prefer something along the lines of a Nissan Maxima, an Infinity, or maybe an Acura sedan. Having a bit of horsepower when needed, but comfortable seats, low road noise, and good tunes is what interests me.
Do you live in the US?

I love the look of the Tacoma. We had a Ford F150 for a week last summer - it's my dream car. Just huge. Not massively practical with the load space, they really ought to invent some sort of sectioned storage, but awesome to drive :guiness;

Neonknight

George Hincapie wrote:
Neonknight wrote:I drive a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with 115,000 miles on it now. Two wheel drive, standard cab with 6 foot bed, 5 speed, no power doors or windows. Just a basic bit of transportation and work. In good condition, but nothing fancy.

Do you live in the US?

I love the look of the Tacoma. We had a Ford F150 for a week last summer - it's my dream car. Just huge. Not massively practical with the load space, they really ought to invent some sort of sectioned storage, but awesome to drive :guiness;
Yes I do live in the US. Olympia in Washington state, just about 50 miles south of Seattle.

In the US trucks have become well appointed vehicles, but with some sobering price tags. They are as comfortable as any car, yet the bed sizes seem to have shrunk LOL. I personally view them as a mechanized wheel barrow, meant to haul things and do work, so I appreciate the long full sized beds versus the extended cab models. One truck is as good as another to me.

But I do understand the appreciation of an F150. It is a well laid out vehicle, comfortable, and useful. Even the gas mileage is not terrible given its size. Now the fuel economy on a diesel truck, that is something to be thankful for. Your operating costs can be quite reasonable....until you have to repair the thing.

About 10 years ago I owned a 1990 F150, and it was a great truck. But when it finally died I decided to try a car for running back and forth to work. But as a home owner I decided I needed a truck again. I bought the Tacoma for gas mileage as it was supposed to get in the high 20's and my F150 only got in the low teens. When driving 33 miles each way to work, that gas mileage adds up at the pump. Things have changed though, and I wish I had a full sized truck for its bed and towing capacity.

But yes I am in the US. Which is why my audio rig consists of stuff like JBL, First Watt, Galibier Audio, PS Audio, Wireworld and what not.

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

You seem to like Japanese brands and I was amazed at how successful Japanese cars have always been in the states my relatives in USA would often drive Hondas when I would have preferred there Pick up Trucks or SUV as that's what I think the yanks do best.

Neonknight

Frasernash wrote:

You seem to like Japanese brands and I was amazed at how successful Japanese cars have always been in the states my relatives in USA would often drive Hondas when I would have preferred there Pick up Trucks or SUV as that's what I think the yanks do best.
The European and Japanese seem to do the comfortable sports sedan with a bit of zoom zoom better than American car manufacturers. The European ones seem to have the sports component down well, but the service costs in the US are a bit steep. The Japanese get the reliability and fit and finish down pretty well, and still have a bit of fun and performance in the car.

The domestic models have gotten to be reliable and have nice fit and finish these days. The only new car I ever bought is a 2015 Chevy Cruze for the wife. It has been a fine car in every meaningful aspect. However the American sedans have no soul in terms of driving. Now my Mustang GT was a kick in the pants to drive, not expensive to maintain, but a bit primitive in terms of creature comforts. Which is fine for an American pony car, but I am no longer in my 20's or 30's, and now appreciate the comfort of a car as well as its ability to violate the speed limit.

Used to own a 1993 Saab 9000s for a work car. Loved driving it, the insides of the car, and great on snowy roads. However that car was neurotic, and was not happy unless something was broke on it. I finally gave up trying to fix stuff as it was sucking me dry in maintenance costs. I drove it to over 200K miles, so I got my monies worth out of it.

American trucks are great. Solid, well thought out, powerful, relatively easy to maintain. They are getting a bit expensive, but they are well appointed these days. More like a nice car really. The downside has been gas mileage. Where I lived the last twenty years it was not uncommon for me to drive 18 to 20K a year. If you get 16 MPG on the highway that turns into serious money. I bought the Toyota Tacoma for its improved gas mileage as its supposed to get 27 MPG on the highway. Never realized that though, more around 23 to 25 MPG. But I miss the big bed of a full sized pick up and its towing capacity. Where I live now I could use a full sized pick up since I don't drive as much, and wish I had another Ford F150. But the Tacoma is a good rig for what I need. Which is haul some stuff from Home Depot or the furniture store from time to time.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

2007 Cmax with a dented door. Plus a 2004 Nissan Elgrand with a 3.5 V6. I've no idea what either says about me, except the latter will supposedly do 0-60 in 8.2 seconds even though it weighs 2.2 tons.

Jonty2547

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

My long suffering Peugeot finally gave up the will to get me anywhere in safety and i now own a Toyota Prius!
It says absofuckinglutely nothing about me whatsoever.
The only plus side is that i'm a technician for Toyota/Lexus so i can fix it if it goes wrong :mrgreen:
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

I own a beautiful 2000 Toyota Celica (without the rear spoiler), and an older but equally beautiful Honda VFR 750. Both are comfortable, reliable, start on the button and give me hours of driving enjoyment without a great outlay. I've tried the likes of MGB GT V8's, TVR's, Triumph Tridents, Norton Interstates and the occasional Italian Iron, all of which I've enjoyed. But the reliability, engineering and sheer grace of these designs means I will keep these vehicles until I can no longer drive/stand/dribble/pee... whichever comes first.

What does this say about me? Means I'm not bothered about fashion, I want things to work, do what they're supposed to do, bring me immense pleasure, look good, won't cost me an arm and a leg, easily maintained, good backup/service/parts, Oh.... and I love having them around... Over to you Mr. Dunn.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.