Computer Audio. Wish There Was a Bullet Proof Blue Print

All general audio posts go here.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Computer Audio. Wish There Was a Bullet Proof Blue Print

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Thanks Fretless :obscene-drinkingcheers:
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Hello. I've just joined the group and have used computer based audio pretty well exclusively for the last six or seven years. I have an old Thinkpad which holds my ripped CDs (ripped as WAV files) running JRiver Media Centre. The PC also runs Fidelizer (free version), which optimises the PC a bit. I use a DIY USB cable which uses the data wires only as an unshielded twisted pair into a Musical Fidelity VDac2 with separate MF power supply rather than the wall wart thing. This weekend I tried a friends USB tuning stick from Akiko Audio. The outcome was something of a revelation with hugely enhanced soundstage both in terms of width and height.

In my experience, the quality of the USB cable and the USB input on the dac are critical to the success of computer based audio.

Simon Hickie

I should add that I rip CDs using DBPowerAmp. A free alternative is EAC (Exact Audio Copy).

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

You've obviously put some thought into your set-up Simon. And using WAV's means no hassle with compressed formats (but do you have enough HDD space?). And DBPowerAmp is excellent - I use their file conversion system occasionally.

My first 'proper' outboard DAC was an MF VDac with the matching PSU and VLink. Gave nice results, then I moved up to the MF M1DAC which I found to be noticeably better.

You might try an AudioQuest Jitterbug on your USB. Does wonders IMHO. :grin: :guiness;

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Simon Hickie

Plenty of HDD space! I've considered an Audioquest Dragonfly Red plus Jitterbug recently and may go down that route when we sell the house. Right now, speakers are my number one concern! The Dragonfly Red certainly seems to be well regarded on one of the computer audiophile sites (Jonny Darko?).

Simon Hickie

Jitterbug arrived today and seems to work well with the Musical Fidelity VDAC2. Better separation of instruments and improved soundstage. The biggest benefit seems to be the removal of a layer of 'fug'.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Yup! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The Jitterbug improved my system and I found that adding a second one (in a spare USB socket on my desktop), as Audioquest suggest, improved things further and was worth the expense.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Simon Hickie

I tried the Jitterbug on a friends system today, comprising a laptop feeding a Wyred4sound USB to SPDIF converter, going into a modified Jolida DAC and hence onto a Consonance 300B based amp and finally a pair of Impulse Audio Lali speakers. The effect was similar to my system: more precise location of the various musical elements, greater ambience and a blacker background. The effects are particularly noticeable on vocals. The improvements were pretty obvious.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Realized I havent updated this thread at all. The Singxer SU1 arrived a couple of weeks ago, and its installation was a no muss/no fuss slam dunk. That is about the only thing I like about an Apple OS is that it recognizes devices straight away, no mucking around with drivers and what not.

Ok there is a significant difference between the Singxer and the inexpensive SMSL converter I was using. The Singxer sounds more natural on the top end, with music being more extended, the decay patterns evident, and a lack of artificial sheen that I have had on previous incarnations. So far this has had the best results.

I happened to have a second hand Pangea USB cable I bought for this project at an earlier stage, but it had the wrong terminations on one end. It worked for this set up, so I installed it. Since things are progressing in the right direction, I decided to finish this off with placing an order for the Wireworld Silver Starlight USB and Ethernet cables. They will get compared to the Pangea and the Monoprice wires that I currently have on hand.

So far its been good though. Currently ripping discs, but the end is in sight. I will say the sound is better than my transport in most ways, but there is at least one trait that it has the computer lacks. I don't know if it should be considered a coloration, its hard to put into words, but it has a different essence for sure. Perhaps I have just listened to it for so long that I have come accustomed to it, like the feel of your favorite pair of shoes.

So that is where things sit now. I expect to have at least one more contribution to the thread once the Wireworld products get here.