NVA Cubettes

All things NVA
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: NVA Cubettes

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Paul is by far the best of a bad bunch, but we have to realise that reviewers are more subject to industry politics than anyone else in the industry. They have to seem to be open and honest experts and good and entertaining hacks (writers) in your eyes. At the same time they have to appease their bosses and work suppliers in both the bottom lines of the magazines, readership count and magazine revenue, and of course the manufacturers has a say (normally) on who gets to review his product. So it is a far from easy job which is why largely people should either ignore them or take it with an over large pinch of salt, but from my 40 odd years of having to deal with them the only one I still really respect and give credibility to is Paul, but I am biased as he and his missus have been personal friends for most of that time. Pauls expertise now is largely as editor not so much reviewer, so as long as magazines exist he will still work, but others are scared stiff their income will just dry up.

The only truly open and honest reviews from people about hifi is now on forums, ok not professionally written but honesty replaces that any day. The thing to watch out for though is the industry is now seeing this and the corruption of the old way is spreading across to us. This is what the new Wigwam and the existing Hi-Fi Pig are about and also the shills and spammers and glove puppets *placed* on the forums to hype product, which seem to be the province of the likes of What Hi-Fi forum, which is predictable.

But car mags and lots of other enthusiast things mags are the same, just largely corrupt marketing media, so we should all be used to it.

Ukulele Sam
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by Ukulele Sam »

Well I can second Paul's experience with the Cubettes! I put some music on after lunchtime today and was still listening hours later. My wife and kids usually ignore my hifi ramblings but were getting involved and making requests. The Cubettes are looking good after a few coats of Danish oil and suitably positioned on stands. They sound so open and clear but really fast, detailed and weighty. I picked up a Cambridge Audio CXC cd transport 2nd hand recently and have spent hours revisiting all my old CDs. Bit of a cliche but the NVA kit encourages extended listening, such is the musicality and I am hearing things afresh.
I can honestly say the NVA kit has rekindled my interest in audio after a number of years at a price I can afford and is the best I have had, irrespective of cost. Having owned and then sold various bits of kit I'd become a bit bored with it all but there is an alternative to dealers these days and expensive mark ups and more people need to know about it!
Next step might be to change my ls2 for better cable and a new NVA pre-power amp, problem is this could become addictive!!!

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Nice one U/S..... :clap:

But im getting fed up now, when will we ever get a review that goes....

Sorry, I tried NVA and to be honest, its a bit pants..... :mrgreen:

:evil:

Ukulele Sam
Great Britain

Unread post by Ukulele Sam »

No problem Jammy, if someone wants to donate a spare A60, I promise I will give it an honest review!
Seriously though, My little NVA amp has a real liking for the Cubettes, will be interesting to see if better cable or amp is worth the difference - going to be fun!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't rush enjoy the process.