New production TT from Technics

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: New production TT from Technics

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

It is common knowledge the Rega do not endorse and are somewhat annoyed by any after market mods to any of their products , indeed if i remember correctly is says as much on their website .

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Good to see Macca & Marco ripping the piss out of the "Measurement Monkey Cogging Codgers"....... :clap:

'What does cogging sound like'? (Marco)

It sounds like a belt drive enthusiast clutching at straws...(Macca)

LOL... It's a good job that most of us listen with our ears and not test equipment!
Right, I'm off to spin some tunes on my cogged-up-to-the-max Techy......(Marco)

:guiness;

Daniel Quinn

If Jammy is quoting marco, then it is time for me to say that pinky and Sq are talking the most sense in that thread :o

motors are metal spindles , separated by air from magnets and made to revolve by adding electrical charge . they are miracles of nature and science , it is wonder they work as they do . cogging , hunting or any other term for the none universal constant speed revolution of motors are inherent to their nature and especially if you are going to attempt to control the speed by some electronic means, which if i am not mistaken simply boils down to the variation of the electrical charge applied to the motor .

whether it is audible is the arguable point , not the existence of such phenomena .

Seems to me however , that the ac motor used in LP12 and the dc motor in the Technics is 70's technology and we now have motors on mars that work perfectly and in perpetuity by remote control , we also motors that operate in the removal of brain tumors . Unlike many things associated with HIFI , motors are a multi billion pound industry with shit loads of applications and research and development

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

A major problem with multi-pole synchronous motor as used universally at one time, was the sheer amount of vibration it generated. Other more expensive motors looked better (Papst for example), but *apparently* suffered even more. Linn use a thin stainless steel top plate (the Orange Audio/Tiger paw use a thicker casting) and Rega used a laminated chip/fibre board plinth. It took Linn with the Lingo and the later Rega '2000' motor boards to minimise this. Lets face it, decent low-vibration motors cost more money than the pennies allocated to such things usually...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by selby »

My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Not unlike the Dual/Papst EDS motors of the early 70's - basically a linear motor with overlapping fields. I'll try to post a pic of the motor unit..

Good size bearing shaft -

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Must say , I am not liking those magnets so close to the platter and thus cartridge on both those models . ;)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

They're shielded by the platter material, so a non-issue - honest! All my MC's work just fine and it's actually the steel top plate in the Duals that can subtly upset things in the fine low friction tonearm when balancing. The Techies we all love and hate also have their ring magnets attached to the platter and absolutely no issues there either :)