Hello, and Goodmans Magnum K help.

A place for DIY project discussions.
JasonE86
Has thanked: 0
Great Britain

Hello, and Goodmans Magnum K help.

Unread post by JasonE86 »

Hi guys, thanks for accepting me as a member.

I’ve been reading through the posts and following the advice on mods for these Goodmans Magnum Ks. I’ve got to say they’re wonderful speakers. But I’ve got a few questions if that’s ok? Firstly I want to bypass the L Pads completely, how do I go about this? I’m a complete novice really at DIY audio, although I’m learning and getting a bit better, but I want to be certain. I moved the middle wire to the right pin on both l pads, and I’ve got a serious roll off at about 10k hz, I think perhaps I’ve done this wrong, my l pad is the 50ohm for the tweeter, and the wiper I’m starting to think is the right pin? Is that correct. I’m not sure how to upload pics here but I’ve got some of the crossover. I know theirs a few variations here.

Also one other question, what sort of caps would people recommend? Should I stick with electrolytics? If so then what voltage should I be looking at, I’ve seen reccomendations on here of the mundorfs but the voltage seems too low. Any recommendations and help would be most welcome.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, and thanks again for accepting my membership, and thanks to the Doc, for all his help that I’ve already applied to these wonderful old speakers.

Latteman
Great Britain

Re: Hello, and Goodmans Magnum K help.

Unread post by Latteman »

Do a bit of reading on simple crossovers and ditch the L-pad- plug the hole and any port and enjoy
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

JasonE86
Great Britain

Hi Latteman, yes I did that last night, and think I’ve got my head around it, i think I need to put a resistor the same value as the L pad gives between the ground and wires coming from then cap and to the driver, which I’d join together if I’m reading it right. I’m pretty much a novice at electronics and my head was hurting last night trying to understand it all haha. Just to be certain, I’m the tweeter I’d move the middle wire which is the wiper to the high pin wire and and then a resistor joining those two wires to the ground (wire going to the negative terminal on the amp)? Is that correct?

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Hi, Jason, and (a belated) welcome to HFS. I thought I said "hello" last night after I got rid of your unwanted posts, but obviously, I was already asleep. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

JasonE86
Great Britain

Hi slinger, no worries haha! Thanks for getting rid of my premature post haha!
These users thanked the author JasonE86 for the post:
slinger (Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:01 pm)