Goodman's Magnum K series MEGA collection... Mod advice

A place for DIY project discussions.
lysergic-skies
Great Britain

Re: Goodman's Magnum K series MEGA collection... Mod advice

Unread post by lysergic-skies »

CycleCoach wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:37 pm Plastidip should work fine on your tweeters. In fact "tweeter doping" works well to smooth out a spiky treble frequency response on some tweets.
As with Bison Kit on woofers, add a layer or two and then listen.
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it’s a possibility. ;-)
CycleCoach wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:37 pmYou can probably add more than you think, but just remember - you can't take it away once you've added it!
After thinking I had over applied to the first set of mids, I am very conscious of this! I will use the kiddy paintbrush and old jam jar lid of Plastidip to tentatively apply in sparing layers, listening one layer at a time, and be patient. Photos to follow when I am brave enough! Watch this space! :-)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I use spray cans of Platidip, and as with all paints, make sure I've mixed it really thoroughly before applying.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

lysergic-skies
Great Britain

This is a spray can too. I shake for a minimum of 60 seconds before spraying.

I’m sure at some point I’ll just load it on straight from the can again like I did to start but I wanted to be careful when applying to the second set of mids after thinking I had ruined the first. Turns out that a little curing time works wonders… As you so rightly put it though - you can’t take it away! :-)

Tomorrow I’ll attempt a light coating of Plastidip on that tweeter.

This has been a very rewarding (yet somewhat unsettling) experience. I’m used to working in absolutes - do this, that will happen etc but all of this is just judgement and “see what that does”… in that respect, Riat gets a point with his hardcore crossover mentality. But at the end of the day, with better sound quality - Doc gets bonus points. I don’t care for much except the end result, and this certainly delivers. I’ve listened to these K2s so much recently. They’re becoming a real joy. I’m considering getting rid of furniture to make way for Lindsay’s atmos vision :think: and gutting the Laser 100s that I have upstairs (which I love) and doing the same… :text-dope: :greetings-clappingyellow:

lysergic-skies
Great Britain

We’re making progress here…

Tweeters not destroyed and looking better:
5F39BC90-82AF-459B-B190-CA943B5A0672.jpg
5F39BC90-82AF-459B-B190-CA943B5A0672.jpg (114.61 KiB) Viewed 5157 times
I’ve messed around with the wiring so much tuning these that it’s a mess so I’m doing a complete rewire today and tidying things up.

Does it matter what order the bass and mid are connected in series?

777027D1-7A5D-4451-9132-25D7BE44A42B.png
777027D1-7A5D-4451-9132-25D7BE44A42B.png (6.04 KiB) Viewed 5157 times
Which is the preferred arrangement? Or doesn’t it matter?
These users thanked the author lysergic-skies for the post:
CycleCoach (Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:42 pm)

lysergic-skies
Great Britain

Daniel Quinn wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:15 pm The bass and midrange you dope and run full range and run in series .
I think I have misunderstood something else here so I’ve been re-reading the thread. I thought the mid always had to have a cap on it? Or this is only while doping? I was looking at this thread: https://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic. ... m&start=20 and there is a permanent cap on the mid. Are you saying the end goal is to have nothing on there at all?

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

If you're running Mid and Bass in series it doesn't make any difference which order you put them in.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
lysergic-skies (Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:25 pm)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)