North West Audio Show, Cranage

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
NSNO2021
Great Britain

Re: North West Audio Show, Cranage

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

£10k, to me that's an awful lot of money but it was very good and I imagine easy to live with
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

NSNO2021 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:33 pm £10k, to me that's an awful lot of money but it was very good and I imagine easy to live with
Quite a bit more than all my source components put together including PSs and cables.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I got a sense of desperation at this years show. Too many companies chasing after too few customers.

None of the visitors to the show gave me the impression that they were looking to buy a new system. Or to make a significant upgrade to their existing system.

In contrast to the first hi-fi show I went to in 1983.

Progmeister
Great Britain

Unread post by Progmeister »

Sad as it is the whole concept of Hi-Fi is of a time and that time is coming to an end with the more of us of that age pass away. Which Hat audio went into liquidation recently and i suspect with the present economic climate more will soon follow. A couple of the big US amp companies recently went bust too.
These users thanked the author Progmeister for the post (total 2):
TheRealAleman (Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:32 am) • Lindsayt (Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:32 am)
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

TheRealAleman
Wales

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

Progmeister wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:47 am Sad as it is the whole concept of Hi-Fi is of a time and that time is coming to an end with the more of us of that age pass away.
Too true. I suspect that the vast majority of those born in the 90's and later having grown up with MP£, and then streaming, have absolutely no interest in quality music reproduction. when I upgraded a few items of my HiFi, I passed the old ones on to my daughter, and bought a new pair of speaker and a CD player for her in her bedroom ... the first thing she did was disconnect one of the speakers and listened in pseudo monoaural!!!
These users thanked the author TheRealAleman for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:32 pm) • Lindsayt (Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:04 pm)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

TheRealAleman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:38 am I suspect that the vast majority of those born in the 90's and later having grown up with MP£, and then streaming, have absolutely no interest in quality music reproduction. when I upgraded a few items of my HiFi, I passed the old ones on to my daughter, and bought a new pair of speaker and a CD player for her in her bedroom ... the first thing she did was disconnect one of the speakers and listened in pseudo monoaural!!!
I am convinced that this is the overwhelming reason why young people are not interested in quality music reproduction. The small percentage of under 50s at hifi shows says it all. The silly prices of some equipment at hifi shows, which does not sound very good (my experience at Bristol) does not help. That said the discerning can buy good sounding kit that costs no more in real terms than it did in the golden age. It is a matter of seeing through marketing :Bllocks: . There was a lot of it in the bumph I was handed in Bristol.

There are other lesser contributory factors such as older people having more disposable income, mortgage free with pension pots, the design of modern houses and the lack of quality and poor production/mastering, compression being a big problem, of much modern music.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Lindsayt (Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:05 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

We used to respect music, and we used to respect musicians. So much of today's output is disposable, for want of a better word, and that's how people want their music now. How many of them darn kids play music "on the go" and almost never actually sit down to "listen" to it, as we do? A listening session often consists of one person sharing an earbud with a friend, so they're both listening to half of a (low-res) stereo recording.

Why would you pay five grand, or even two grand., for an amp with that in mind when you can't even strap it to your back? ...Plus speakers ...some sort of source ...wires made out of unobtanium, obviously. Did I mention the special plugs, with the special fuses in them? Using a streamer/CD player/Wireless? Then you'll want a separate DAC too, cos the one that's built into your streamer/CD player/Wireless is inferior to an external DAC, sometimes it's even inferior to the external DAC made by the same people who made your streamer/CD player/Wireless.

You can, of course, add the current financial crisis to that equation.

We're dinosaurs, but unlike the original dinosaurs, our day will almost certainly come again, and I don't mean in a Jurassic Park way. :lol:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 5):
TheRealAleman (Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:55 pm) • Grumpytim (Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:50 pm) • CN211276 (Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:03 pm) • Lindsayt (Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:06 pm) • Progmeister (Sat Jun 24, 2023 6:15 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Every one keeps talking about the 'younger generation' not being interested in hifi, or at least not as much as some of old buggers.
I remember going to the Harrogate HiFi show more than 40 yrs ago, it wasn't crammed with youngsters eager to hear Quad 57's and the LP12. Give them time.

Hifi Architect
Great Britain

Unread post by Hifi Architect »

For what it is worth as this was our 7th year at Cranage we were greatly encouraged by the amount of women, who were not being dragged around reluctantly, youngsters and families. There were also a significant amount more people we have never seen before. From our perspective the future is looking brighter than ever, certainly for a long time, for hifi.
These users thanked the author Hifi Architect for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:30 pm) • slinger (Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:43 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Manufacturer.
3 Square Audio.
https://www.3squareaudio.com/

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Good point Hifi Architect. I thought that the show was pleasantly busy on the Saturday morning. As the afternoon wore on, visitor numbers thinned-out. When I got to my car at 6.20 PM, the car park was almost empty.

My rough estimate was that 98% of visitors were men.

The £6k KEF LS60's (playing in the KEF room alternately with a £24k Naim / Kef R3 system) would be a good solution for a certain well healed segment of the market. Sound was not too tragically bad (from my highly provisional assessment). With them being modern trendy looking things. And having the wireless functionality.