'Real' bass - ported vs sealed speakers

All general audio posts go here.
savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: 'Real' bass - ported vs sealed speakers

Unread post by savvypaul »

I wouldn't fancy a live band in my front room, but I would like an impression of the dynamic swings and textures of the music that do make your hairs stand on end. Stopping and starting quickly is probably more important to me than ultimate bass weight and slam. Which probably explains why I've been happy to live with Royds, Ela's, Kans, Heresys, 57s etc.

I had a pair of 771s (bookshelf version of the 772) for a few months in the late 90s. I found them inoffensive, and pretty even handed, but not hugely engaging.

As said, personal choice is just that. Difference is to be celebrated.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
Geoff.R.G (Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:57 pm) • DaveyTed (Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:06 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

I have absolutely no doubt that there are ported speakers that cannot be tamed whatever one does with placement. Equally I expect that there are IBs that are just as bad. If we were to identify those products and discount them I think many people would have difficulty determining, in a blind comparison, whether a speaker was ported or sealed.

If it gets your foot tapping and your hands clapping does it matter? No, it’s the music that matters.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
Grumpytim (Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:38 am)

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:50 pm I wouldn't fancy a live band in my front room, but I would like an impression of the dynamic swings and textures of the music that do make your hairs stand on end. Stopping and starting quickly is probably more important to me than ultimate bass weight and slam. Which probably explains why I've been happy to live with Royds, Ela's, Kans, Heresys, 57s etc.

I had a pair of 771s (bookshelf version of the 772) for a few months in the late 90s. I found them inoffensive, and pretty even handed, but not hugely engaging.

I'd fancy a live band in my room, with certain instruments magically reduced in volume and all acoustic or with electronic instruments through the finest PA system ever.

Because that would be the most entertaining listening experience that I could have with my valuable at home music listening leisure time.

More entertaining than listening to a recording via low efficiency slimline ported speakers.

Life is at its' best when you're on an adventure. Or doing something deeply entertaining, or interesting or fun.
Why dilute the experience of listening to music at home by listening to speakers with relatively poor to mediocre bass when for an affordable investment one can have relatively good bass?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:49 pm
savvypaul wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:50 pm I wouldn't fancy a live band in my front room, but I would like an impression of the dynamic swings and textures of the music that do make your hairs stand on end. Stopping and starting quickly is probably more important to me than ultimate bass weight and slam. Which probably explains why I've been happy to live with Royds, Ela's, Kans, Heresys, 57s etc.

I'd fancy a live band in my room, with certain instruments magically reduced in volume and all acoustic or with electronic instruments through the finest PA system ever.

Because that would be the most entertaining listening experience that I could have with my valuable at home music listening leisure time.

More entertaining than listening to a recording via low efficiency slimline ported speakers.

Life is at its' best when you're on an adventure. Or doing something deeply entertaining, or interesting or fun.
Why dilute the experience of listening to music at home by listening to speakers with relatively poor to mediocre bass when for an affordable investment one can have relatively good bass?
I don't disagree with any of that. Other than DIY, what affordable and commercialy available speakers do you think have relatively good bass?
I am in the hi-fi trade

Lindsayt
Nauru

savvypaul wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:04 am I don't disagree with any of that. Other than DIY, what affordable and commercialy available speakers do you think have relatively good bass?
Bozak Symphony and Concert Grand. However they have somewhat average midrange when compated to my EV speakers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295449916024?h ... R9DR5-nvYQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175686961120?h ... R9DR5-nvYQ

NVA speakers have good bass for reasonable money in a reasonably small package.

There will be other speakers that fit the bill - such as once in a lifetime, right place right time purchases of speakers that normally sell for a lot more money.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post (total 2):
savvypaul (Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:28 am) • Grumpytim (Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:39 am)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:25 am
savvypaul wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:04 am I don't disagree with any of that. Other than DIY, what affordable and commercialy available speakers do you think have relatively good bass?
Bozak Symphony and Concert Grand. However they have somewhat average midrange when compated to my EV speakers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295449916024?h ... R9DR5-nvYQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175686961120?h ... R9DR5-nvYQ

NVA speakers have good bass for reasonable money in a reasonably small package.

There will be other speakers that fit the bill - such as once in a lifetime, right place right time purchases of speakers that normally sell for a lot more money.
A chap came round to mine yesterday to listen to our new integrated amp. I had the system set up with new prototype Cubes, but I said to him to feel free to bring along his own speakers.

After a couple of tracks (Elton John and Joan Armatrading) he said "Too much. It just sounds too big and powerful". He then plugged in his slim, ported floorstanders (Triangle) and told me how much better they are.

C'est la vie.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
CycleCoach (Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:33 pm) • Lindsayt (Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:05 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

savvypaul wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:48 am

A chap came round to mine yesterday to listen to our new integrated amp. I had the system set up with new prototype Cubes, but I said to him to feel free to bring along his own speakers.

After a couple of tracks (Elton John and Joan Armatrading) he said "Too much. It just sounds too big and powerful". He then plugged in his slim, ported floorstanders (Triangle) and told me how much better they are.

C'est la vie.
I had a similar experience a year ago. He seemed impressed with what he was hearing and stayed for quite a while, but said he preferred his WAF floor standers. Thankfully he did not bring them round. :lol:
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:05 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Some years ago a violinist friend brought her violin around and played it in my lounge. The first thing to say was that it was loud, very loud. This was just one violin in a relatively small room. Real (live) music is much louder than most Hi-Fi systems are played at.

Another observation is that some pundits used to say that instruments were point sources. They aren't and never have been. A piano is about 6' wide and 8' long, how that can ever be a point source I couldn't say.

Sufficient to say that Hi-Fi myths abound.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Geoff.R.G wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:51 pm Some years ago a violinist friend brought her violin around and played it in my lounge. The first thing to say was that it was loud, very loud. This was just one violin in a relatively small room. Real (live) music is much louder than most Hi-Fi systems are played at.

Another observation is that some pundits used to say that instruments were point sources. They aren't and never have been. A piano is about 6' wide and 8' long, how that can ever be a point source I couldn't say.

Sufficient to say that Hi-Fi myths abound.
I measured a violin and viola quartet in a school hall, with me sitting about 15 feet from them. SPL's were in the 70 something dbs for most the time they were playing with the odd peak creeping into the 80's.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

My hifi plays at 80 dB to 90 dB depending on genre of music .

Ps . Is it necessary to quote the post your post if you are responding to the post directly above yours 😁
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:15 pm)