Paths to digital music joy .

Forum for all multichannel discussions (SACD, AV etc) and Movie discussions.
Bencat57
Great Britain

Paths to digital music joy .

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Well I only use digital music so this is all I can talk about . Now there are many paths to get your musical satisfaction from digital simplest being a CD in a player then in to your system . I know Paul has gone down a very different route using HQ player and seems very happy with that . I have found a different path and mine seems to be dominated by the clock . About a year ago I heard a system with a Mutec 3+ usb in and was amazed at how much it improved things . At that time new they were just too expensive and used was the same . By chance found a great condition unit that was affordable . Bought it fitted it and loved what it does . Then was told that an external clock made it even better but the clocks were all thousands rather than hundreds . Then a friend on another forum suggested an LB clock and that this was very nearly as good as the far more expensive ones £175 including postage was at least something I could consider . Bought set up installed (it was not really that simple but that was down to user error not the device) and then a real shock . This sounds amazing not just good ,stereo is an illusion and anything that makes that more real is making the music better . This addition has made my music breathe and come alive real voices , real instruments and more real emotion . I am swept away by this and would just suggest if you have any equipment that can take an external clock then try it out I do not think you will regret it .
These users thanked the author Bencat57 for the post (total 6):
CycleCoach (Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:23 pm) • slinger (Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:06 pm) • Nearlymusical (Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:28 pm) • CN211276 (Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:34 pm) • Grumpytim (Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:19 pm) • antonio66 (Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:09 am)

Nearlymusical
Great Britain

Re: Paths to digital music joy .

Unread post by Nearlymusical »

I concur.
Audio GD DI-20 - Not specifically a clock but does re-clock - was just a smidge less than 500 Euros new, so could be picked up used for much less.
But also deserving of mention is Chord MScaler and upsampling in general - which I believe is one of the benefits of HQ Player.
As you say different paths, but the advantage of digital now is that you can do a lot of signal clean up ( Galvanic isolation , jitter reduction, timing ) at the front end and what can be wrought from 44.1kHz CD quality is unbelievable for me compared to what I experienced over the years with CD players - e.g Linn Ikemi, Naim CD3.5, Musical Fidility 3D Nuvista
These users thanked the author Nearlymusical for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:34 pm) • Grumpytim (Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:19 pm)
Aurender N100H > SoTM USB cable > Audio DG DI-20 (I2s out ) > Audioquest Carbon 48 HDMI cable > PS audio Directstream DAC > Cardas Golden Cross XLR > Modwright 36.5 Pre > Cardas Golden Cross XLR > PS Audio M1200 Monoblocks > Cardas Golden Cross Speaker Cable > Meadowlark Kestrel Hotrod speakers

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

For me, digital audio is reliant on jitter reduction - where reclocking can play an important role. Jitter (a loss of absolute synchronicity within the stream of 1's and 0:s) is audible in digital audio playback as a veiling of the clarity and a reduction in detail and definition.

Recently I swapped the Schiit Wyrd in one setup for the Oehlbach XXL Masterclock and was impressed by the improvement. Not all reclockers are equal.

AudioQuest Jitterbug. Put 1 or 2 in anything with a USB socket. This little device removes a lot of unwanted noise from digital circuitry.

Cables are vital. OCC with ultra-long crystal structures helps reduce jitter. AudioQuest uses silver-coatings to reduce Skin-effect and improve jitter reduction.

Upsampling: using a PC to stream means that there is ample CPU capacity to resample / upsample a digital signal. I like to upsample to the maximum sample-rate that a DAC can handle on input. An exception here is the NOS Metrum Musette that works best on native bit-rates.

Price: there are some amazing DAC's around at reasonable prices - think of Topping, SMSL, Denafrips and Sabaj. And the cutting-edge tech is being constantly improved.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
Nearlymusical (Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:29 pm) • George Hincapie (Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:33 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51499

For me it is upsampling, filtering and clean power.
These users thanked the author CN211276 for the post:
Nearlymusical (Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:29 pm)
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I'd be happy to attend a digital source bake-off if anyone's inclined to host one?
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Tony Moore (Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:53 am)

Fretless
Netherlands

Bencat57 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:17 pm Then a friend on another forum suggested an LB clock and that this was very nearly as good as the far more expensive ones £175 including postage
Bencat, can you put up a link to this unit? I'm intrigued and would like to find out a little more about it.

8-)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Bencat57
Great Britain

Unread post by Bencat57 »

Apologies Fretless I am never sure how each different forum reacts to links to other products so try to err on the side of caution .

https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.ph ... 4a22783f7a

This is the unit and if you are well versed in these things then have a root around . If you want a little help to set it up (I admit that I did ) there is a thread on Audio Addicts forum called tick tock tick tock tick tock which explains and another showing the set up for a Mutec which is what I use it with .
These users thanked the author Bencat57 for the post (total 2):
Fretless (Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:24 am) • CN211276 (Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:09 am)

Fretless
Netherlands

Hmmm. :think:

Interesting that it uses GPS network timing as a reference.

More reading required. :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Bencat57 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:05 am Apologies Fretless I am never sure how each different forum reacts to links to other products so try to err on the side of caution .

https://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.ph ... 4a22783f7a

This is the unit and if you are well versed in these things then have a root around . If you want a little help to set it up (I admit that I did ) there is a thread on Audio Addicts forum called tick tock tick tock tick tock which explains and another showing the set up for a Mutec which is what I use it with .
Interesting. It is similar in size and price to the ifi Ipurifier, plugged into Mscaler I use which brought about a worthwhile improvement. A major difference is the Ipurifier is plug in and play.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

I'm useless with computers and remain impressed by all I read here by those who are able to program or install updates etc. to any form of digital device. Having said that, I decided that now Apple Music is available as Hi-Res Lossless that I would donate all my CD's to a charity shop and go digital... So my system starts with a MacBook Air, feeding an Audiolab M-DAC+ via a Chord Company interconect. I think that the DAC's clock takes over the one in the Mac but whatever I listen to sounds sublime. The system is simple enough for me to use (although it can take me a few attempts to track down artists due to my poor spelling) and provides me with so much scope for discovering unfamiliar music.
These users thanked the author OrangeFixie for the post:
Fretless (Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:40 pm)