LP12

A place for DIY project discussions.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: LP12

Unread post by karatestu »

Yeah. It's mostly that one record so far.

Very kind offer Ant that I will probably take you up on. Sending myself round in circles at the moment at more than 45 rpm.
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Dont do that stu, its no fun
It should be fun
You're welcome whenever
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
karatestu (Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:36 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

karatestu
Great Britain

Just played The White Stripes Elephant and it made things rattle in the room.

The volume is higher than what I have for CD. I don't have a volume control as such. Just resistor based potential dividers. I didn't have exactly the same value for the one I am using with vinyl

Even so, this vinyl is totally blowing the bloody doors off. I'm at a loss to explain it apart from my cd player is anemic or the CD matering is anemic or both.

Totally bonkers.
DIY FREE ZONE

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

I know it’s not the same but I put a cd on in my car stereo instead of the usual streaming by iPhone and the harshness was very evident- the cdp is by Clarion - I think it demonstrates how streaming is so advanced and that vinyl got it right first time 😜
In my house vinyl is for listening streaming is background/ light listening
These users thanked the author Latteman for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:41 am)
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

karatestu
Great Britain

If I had a "normal " system then it would make it easy to swap one component out at a time to try and highlight any problems. It's not easy for me to do that though because I built stuff so bespoke.

Easier for sources but I don't have another working TT. I have another cdp and a Naim Stageline phono amp. Don't have any more amps I can easily swap in. I do have speakers .

I hope I get there in the end with a bit of sanity left :angry-steamingears:
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Sanity is for wimps Stu.

:teasing-tease:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:33 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:11 am Just played The White Stripes Elephant and it made things rattle in the room.

The volume is higher than what I have for CD. I don't have a volume control as such. Just resistor based potential dividers. I didn't have exactly the same value for the one I am using with vinyl

Even so, this vinyl is totally blowing the bloody doors off. I'm at a loss to explain it apart from my cd player is anemic or the CD matering is anemic or both.

Totally bonkers.
Vinyl is a more 'full fat' experience here, also. I usually refer to digital as 'semi-skimmed' and vinyl as 'gold top'. That said, my 401/ SPU are big on bass, and the Cubes are not short of bass, either... and your LP12 will be 'fruity' enough.

I only really take any notice when I go straight from one to the other. Otherwise, my ears quickly adapt.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:27 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:11 am The volume is higher than what I have for CD. I don't have a volume control as such. Just resistor based potential dividers. I didn't have exactly the same value for the one I am using with vinyl
That is generally a problem and one reason why active pre-amps have variable gain settings. All that is necessary for a passive is an attenuator (potential divider) in the louder source if the difference in level is a significant issue.
karatestu wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:11 amEven so, this vinyl is totally blowing the bloody doors off. I'm at a loss to explain it apart from my CD player is anaemic or the CD mastering is anaemic or both.

Totally bonkers.
The difficulty with comparing vinyl and digital sources is that the former has mechanically limited dynamic range and thus the mastering has to account for that. A degree of compression is inevitable. There are ways to increase the dynamic range but they are expensive to implement and make the end product expensive for the buyer.

Digital has an inherently wider dynamic range but the sampling rate imposes other limitations not to mention the effect of converting from one sampling rate for the mastering equipment down to 44.1KHz for the final CD pressing. Many digital mixing desks natively use either 48KHz or 96KHz sampling, Dante allows up to 192KHz, the CD is definitely old school.

However, you are probably hearing differences in both equipment and mastering. You can use the same master recording for both vinyl and CD but signal processing required to remain within the mechanical limitations of vinyl mean they can never sound "the same".
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:27 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Thanks for the last two posts.

The problem for me is I am now absolutely paranoid that something is not right with my system. I had everything playing nicely together, I could play any CD I own and not be annoyed by anything. Now I introduce vinyl and I can't level match the two. The vinyl is louder but even so, I shouldn't be wincing at the bass output of some records.

I am only playing stuff I have played on CD recently. Probably different masters, I have no way of knowing.

Stevie Wonder Innervisions- on a couple of tracks the bass sounds like it is a fart. This is not real bass however, Stevie played the bass on a synthesiser.

Gorillaz Demon Days - lots of deep synth bass on this but on CD my system behaves perfectly. On vinyl it is just a mush down low.

Certain Marvin Gaye songs also have too much bass.
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:00 am Thanks for the last two posts.

The problem for me is I am now absolutely paranoid that something is not right with my system. I had everything playing nicely together, I could play any CD I own and not be annoyed by anything. Now I introduce vinyl and I can't level match the two. The vinyl is louder but even so, I shouldn't be wincing at the bass output of some records.

I am only playing stuff I have played on CD recently. Probably different masters, I have no way of knowing.

Stevie Wonder Innervisions- on a couple of tracks the bass sounds like it is a fart. This is not real bass however, Stevie played the bass on a synthesiser.

Gorillaz Demon Days - lots of deep synth bass on this but on CD my system behaves perfectly. On vinyl it is just a mush down low.

Certain Marvin Gaye songs also have too much bass.
Stu,
I suspect that the cartridge you have is part of the problem, what is it? If it is a Moving Coil then a new stylus is going to be relatively expensive but a Moving Magnet type allows you to do the change. I suggest you look for a recommended, economy, cartridge as a trial. If that makes a difference then you can consider other options with the one you already have.

If a low cost cartridge doesn't change things the problem is elsewhere but, as you already have concerns about it, I would go for the cartridge first.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:03 am) • TheRealAleman (Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:47 am)