Xmas plonk?

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Xmas plonk?

Unread post by slinger »

The non-drinker goes for it. :guiness;

Grabbed a few bottles of white to go with the Sainsbury's Pecorino, Sainsbury's DC Old Vine Gewurztraminer, and the Vina Araya Moscatel de Valencia I've already bought. The Gewurztraminer, and the Moscatel, are for Christmas/Boxing day, Gewurztraminer with the turkey, Moscatel with the pud. The rest? Well, it's a long holiday when you're a pensioner.

Anyway, who can resist 25% off at Sainsbury's when you buy 6 bottles? (The answer to that question, by the way, is "not me" apparently ):roll:

I've also tried to step outside my old wheelhouse and try a few different grapes instead of going for my tried and trusted old bores too. I'm living dangerously. :mrgreen:

Grüner Veltliner
Yalumba The Y Series Riesling
Sainsbury's Winemakers' Selection Riesling
La Luciana Gavi
Retsina of Attiki, Kourtaki
Sainsbury's Piesporter Michelsberg

So, what are you getting in for Christmas? Anything special, or different to your normal drinking fare?

:text-merryxmas:
These users thanked the author slinger for the post (total 2):
karatestu (Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:10 pm) • George Hincapie (Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:12 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

TheRealAleman
Wales

Re: Xmas plonk?

Unread post by TheRealAleman »

Along with being a coffee, whisky, beer, and Hi-Fi snob, I'm also a bit of a wine snob as well, In the cellar I have,

2015 Crémant de Bourgogne 'Émérite'
2020 Saint-Véran 'Merloix', Pierre Janny
2020 Sancerre Blanc, Domaine de la Garenne
2020 Chablis 1er Cru Vau Ligneau, Domaine de La Motte
2020 Mâcon-La Roche-Vineuse, Domaine de la Belouse

Reds

2015 Petite Sirene de Château Giscours, Bordeaux
2016 Vintage Claret
2020 Vintage Claret
2015 Corbières Cucugnan, Château Trillol
2019 Altura 350, Domaine Peter Sichel, Pays de Cucugnan

I just hope no one from "From Vineyards Direct" rings between now and Christmas or I'll probably buy at least another case, I really fancy some 2020 Coteaux Bourguignons 'Le Renard', Domaine Devillard.

For a great value "drinking" red the Aldi Cairanne is a cracking Cote du Rhone ... personally Cairanne should have "Village" status in its own right, it really is the top of the regions making up the Cote du Rhone

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

slinger wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:07 pm The non-drinker goes for it. :guiness;

Grabbed a few bottles of white to go with the Sainsbury's Pecorino, Sainsbury's DC Old Vine Gewurztraminer, and the Vina Araya Moscatel de Valencia I've already bought. The Gewurztraminer, and the Moscatel, are for Christmas/Boxing day, Gewurztraminer with the turkey, Moscatel with the pud. The rest? Well, it's a long holiday when you're a pensioner.

Anyway, who can resist 25% off at Sainsbury's when you buy 6 bottles? (The answer to that question, by the way, is "not me" apparently ):roll:

I've also tried to step outside my old wheelhouse and try a few different grapes instead of going for my tried and trusted old bores too. I'm living dangerously. :mrgreen:

Grüner Veltliner
Yalumba The Y Series Riesling
Sainsbury's Winemakers' Selection Riesling
La Luciana Gavi
Retsina of Attiki, Kourtaki
Sainsbury's Piesporter Michelsberg

So, what are you getting in for Christmas? Anything special, or different to your normal drinking fare?

:text-merryxmas:
Have you polished this lot off yet Paul ? And did you wake up a mess on the floor thinking you had just watched Fear and loathing in Las Vegas ?
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Hardly touched it, mate. The Gewurztraminer lasted 3 days, and I had one glass from the Moscatel, on Christmas day. A couple of glasses of Chambord liqueur last night, and an early-ish night. Today I'm running a temperature and haven't even changed out of my nightshirt, so I won't be adding to the tally today either.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Unread post by George Hincapie »

TheRealAleman wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:34 pm Along with being a coffee, whisky, beer, and Hi-Fi snob, I'm also a bit of a wine snob as well, In the cellar I have,

2015 Crémant de Bourgogne 'Émérite'
2020 Saint-Véran 'Merloix', Pierre Janny
2020 Sancerre Blanc, Domaine de la Garenne
2020 Chablis 1er Cru Vau Ligneau, Domaine de La Motte
2020 Mâcon-La Roche-Vineuse, Domaine de la Belouse

Reds

2015 Petite Sirene de Château Giscours, Bordeaux
2016 Vintage Claret
2020 Vintage Claret
2015 Corbières Cucugnan, Château Trillol
2019 Altura 350, Domaine Peter Sichel, Pays de Cucugnan

I just hope no one from "From Vineyards Direct" rings between now and Christmas or I'll probably buy at least another case, I really fancy some 2020 Coteaux Bourguignons 'Le Renard', Domaine Devillard.

For a great value "drinking" red the Aldi Cairanne is a cracking Cote du Rhone ... personally Cairanne should have "Village" status in its own right, it really is the top of the regions making up the Cote du Rhone
I love Sancerre. White, not tried red. We had a nice Australian Chablis with lunch on Christmas day, followed by Maury Reserve.

Of course I had to open a bottle of 2010 Graham’s Quinta dos Malvedos while prepping the vegetables, and drank the lot. With a little help from my wife of course.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz