What Router do you use?

All general audio posts go here.
Grumpytim
Columbia

What Router do you use?

Unread post by Grumpytim »

It looks like our current Draytek router is on it's way out, which after just over 2 years service is less than stellar.

So a question for those of you not using the ISP provided box, which router and why?

In terms of a replacement I've used Netgear wifi access points and found them reasonably robust and user friendly. Likewise their managed and POE switches seem well built and have been trouble free, so I'm inclined towards them.

We had a Linksys router/ap that we didn't really get on with, and haven't had a great experience with TP link switches.

So any suggestions would be welcomed, I'm not directly interested in improvements to streaming quality, what I'm looking for is reliability, though both would be nice.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: What Router do you use?

Unread post by Lindsayt »

If I weren't using an ISP provided router, I'd use a used Cisco business grade router. Or possibly a HP Procurve.

I'd have to google for a starting config, and maybe spend some time going through my CCNA textbooks to get it set up OK.
I love the Cisco and HP Procurve CLI's (Command Line Interfaces) - which may seem daunting to the novice, but they are actually fine once you get into them.

The Cisco and HP Procurve business networking kit is engineered to a level a few steps above consumer grade stuff.

For home use it would be a case of getting a branch office type business router.

For AP's to extend my wireless network, I use used business Cisco AP's. About £15 a pop from ebay last time I bought one. They're fussy about the console cable USB adapter you can use. But nice bits of kit apart from that.

For my mum's CCTV system I bought a used 24 port fanned Cisco business switch with POE for £28 off ebay. It has worked flawlessy for 5 or 6 years now in that system. One of those fit and forget solutions.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Grumpytim (Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:03 pm)

Grumpytim
Columbia

Cheers, currently the router is behaving but I'll have a look at the Cisco stuff, may see if I can get something off ebay and have a play first. There may be some dumb questions in the future.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Before buying, make sure the router has the correct sockets on it for where it will be installed. Inparticular, for the connection to the outside world.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
Grumpytim (Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:54 pm)

Grumpytim
Columbia

Lindsayt wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:23 pm Before buying, make sure the router has the correct sockets on it for where it will be installed. Inparticular, for the connection to the outside world.
As I'm learning very quickly it's not as easy as it looks - or should be.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I'm currently using BT's own "Smart Hub" but I've just ordered a TP-Link Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 AX3000 (Archer AX53). I've also got a Cisco 2960G 8-port switch hanging off of the router which feeds all of my musical and AV stuff that needs a connection, and that's all hooked up with Blue Jeans Cables Cat6a.
These users thanked the author slinger for the post:
Grumpytim (Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:54 pm)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Tony Moore
Great Britain

Unread post by Tony Moore »

I've used a home built pfSense router for the last few years. It has been totally free from problems and has more facilities than anyone can possibly want I'd think!

https://www.pfsense.org/download/

You can get their hardware or just buy a small MiniITX or similar fanless PC from Ali Express and load it. I bought one with 4 network ports and use 2 for WAN connections and one for the internal side. Of course it does not have a modem so for ADSL connections you then also need to get an ADSL modem. Or if you have full-fibre then no requirement for the modem.

The good thing about pfSense is the amount of info out there on the web in setting up things. For instance I'm using vLANs throughout which allows me to separate dodgy "internet of things" stuff from sensitive private systems.
These users thanked the author Tony Moore for the post (total 2):
Grumpytim (Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:34 am) • slinger (Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:51 pm)