Feck this, I've had enough.

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Feck this, I've had enough.

Unread post by karatestu »

As the title really. I am at the end of my tether. Busily searching for some sonic bliss that doesn't exist I go round and round in circles of frustration. I have had enough now and realise I have been chasing "something" that doesn't exist. Just as I think it comes into view and I get closer it turns out to be a mirage. Like that car that goes past driven by the most beautiful girl in the world only when you catch up and pull along side at the traffic lights you realise it's an old munter who fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I have spent A LOT of my time over the last 15 years passing out modifying and building stuff. It's been a roller coaster of highs and lows and I have ex

erienced a lot of things. The fly in the ointment is I'm no bloody good at this stuff so should just admit defeat and move on. As you stirip away layer after layer of dirt on the musical window the plain truth is the view ain't so good. Some recordings done well sound amazing. Many that were recorded and mastered by a deaf person are bloody awful. I can't live with this situation anymore and not being able to listen comfortably to everything I want to.

So fuck it this is the end of the line. I get much more enjoyment listening to my JBL Bluetooth speaker than six channels of nva based diy efforts, a pimped up naim cdp and God knows what else.I feel like a weight is lifted having admitted defeat and being able to move on to just thinking about the music and just the music.

So where next ? Well as I enjoy my Bluetooth speaker so much I thought to stay with something similar but just bigger and not aimed at the portable market. After all I have said about modern digital electronics in the past I have to admit that I don't care anymore. I have to switch my brain off from this all consuming hobby and enjoy the music again without the OCD obsessing about the gear.

So, I have enquired about a demo at a local dealer of a pair of Kef LS50 wireless 2 all signing, all dancing do everything you want miracle in a box ( well two boxes). The finest class D amplification, dsp new devilry, streamer and dac in a box. I am really hoping that I like these things and can switch my brain off. Jerry said I have a brain like a buzz saw and will never be happy. How right he was, it is spoiling everything. I only really switch off when listening to my jbl Bluetooth speaker so I am hoping that the kef will be just a grown up extended version .

No cd's, no vinyl, no cdp's, turntables and bloody power supplies cluttering up the place. No tracking force, dirty records or cartridge alignment to worry about. Feck it, that shit takes up too much brain power worrying about. From now it is me and my family enjoying our music with a couple of speakers, a phone and a subscription to our streaming provider of choice.

That is the plan. Everything will be up for sale eventually except my vinyl as I've heard too many tales of regret when vinyl sold off.
DIY FREE ZONE

savvypaul
Great Britain

Re: Feck this, I've had enough.

Unread post by savvypaul »

When you listen through your bluetooth speaker, you listen to the music not the sound. You need to do the same when you listen through your system, whatever that system is. Some systems get in the way of the music. Sometimes we get in the way of the music, all by ourselves.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 4):
Fretless (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:22 pm) • karatestu (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:33 pm) • SteveTheShadow (Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:57 am) • CN211276 (Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:23 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Stu, just give all the hobby gear a break for now and see if your mojo comes back in a month/year/decade or so.

Just enjoy music for music's sake.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
karatestu (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:33 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

Have a look at this video… there is also a follow up addressing a few points which were missed on the Sonos.

https://darko.audio/2021/03/a-short-fil ... s-kef-lsx/
These users thanked the author Shevans for the post:
karatestu (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:33 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

savvypaul wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:09 pm When you listen through your bluetooth speaker, you listen to the music not the sound. You need to do the same when you listen through your system, whatever that system is. Some systems get in the way of the music. Sometimes we get in the way of the music, all by ourselves.
I can't do it anymore. I think sometimes that I need something cheap like my jbl charge 5 to truly switch off. Very sad I know but that's what it has come to and it's all my own fault. Rudi was right all along.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:22 pm Stu, just give all the hobby gear a break for now and see if your mojo comes back in a month/year/decade or so.

Just enjoy music for music's sake.
I've tried that before several times. At one point Doc started a thread entitled where ars you stu. I start again and everything is good for a while and then the same thing happens, burn out.

I need to help myself and get out - like somebody in an abusive relationship.

I am listening to my jbl charge 5 right now with my family. Playing songs in turn and it's all good. That wouldn't happen with something I had invested time in. Not just that but everything I have ever made or modified which is audio related is plain and simply crap.

I'm fine with that. Just need to move on. The Bluetooth products these days are really amazing. Nothing like thd cheap crap we were subjected to as kids (Alba, Goodmans, Amstrad etc).
These users thanked the author karatestu for the post:
Fretless (Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:17 pm)
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The equipment is just a tool. For listening to music at home.
Which can either be background noise or a main source of entertainment where you are sitting there listening to the music and giving it your full attention.

Listening to a well recorded album or 12" single that's up your street music wise that you've not heard before tends to be good for main enetertainment. Or revistiting some music you've not listened to for a few years.
Listening to something you've heard dozens of times, whilst you are doing something else tends to be background noise.

There's a huge back catalogue of great music and great recordings from the 1950's to 1990's.

And then there's other things in your life. Today was a wonderful spring day. Great for getting out and doing outsidey things.

Listening to music is a nice pleasure in life. One of many different great pleasures that we have.

Edit: and if I ever got to the stage where I was eyeing up Kef LS50's - which are good speakers for what they are - I'd go down the route of knocking myself up some cheapo, basic DIY'd speakers. Something like my version of Steve's Fane sealed box full range speakers would be my LS50 alternatives.
These users thanked the author Lindsayt for the post:
karatestu (Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:12 pm)

karatestu
Great Britain

Shevans wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:23 pm Have a look at this video… there is also a follow up addressing a few points which were missed on the Sonos.

https://darko.audio/2021/03/a-short-fil ... s-kef-lsx/
Thanks for that Shevans,

I have already seen that video and several more. He is talking about the kef lsx which is not the one I am contemplating (LS50 wireless ii) which is about £1500 more expensive than that model (£1000). Yes I have thoroughly researched this that is how serious I am. £2500 for a pair of all singing all dancing speakers feels like just the thing for me to move on and forget about the gear. They are ported but then my jbl charge 5 has two passive radiators = same thing.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Lindsayt wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:10 pm The equipment is just a tool. For listening to music at home.
Which can either be background noise or a main source of entertainment where you are sitting there listening to the music and giving it your full attention.

Listening to a well recorded album or 12" single that's up your street music wise that you've not heard before tends to be good for main enetertainment. Or revistiting some music you've not listened to for a few years.
Listening to something you've heard dozens of times, whilst you are doing something else tends to be background noise.

There's a huge back catalogue of great music and great recordings from the 1950's to 1990's.

And then there's other things in your life. Today was a wonderful spring day. Great for getting out and doing outsidey things.

Listening to music is a nice pleasure in life. One of many different great pleasures that we have.
Well that's the thing. I can no longer just listen to the music on anything more serious than a wireless speaker. I have ruined it for myself, my own stupid fault.

At least I can now spend the time I spent obsessing about equipment and electronics obsessing about which master is the best :lol:
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I have been in a 'Hifi' & music listening period for about 18 months now, before that I was in an intensive bass-playing music-making period, where I listened to relatively few albums.

Get thee behind thy drum-kit, Stu!

:music-headbanger:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
karatestu (Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:07 am)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450