Townshend seismic isolation products

All general audio posts go here.
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Townshend seismic isolation products

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Spot on Stu, there has to be some movement otherwise it is a coupling. Suspended turntables seem to move too much.
These users thanked the author Geoff.R.G for the post:
karatestu (Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:18 am)

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Stu if anyone was an " all or nothing" person it's you. I am still pursuing the all in mode but I can see myself one day saying, enough is enough and moving on but right now that's some way off.
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post:
karatestu (Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:19 am)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

I am really impressed that a small group of enthusiasts should be able to reproduce the effects of a £500 isolation platform using materials costing two orders of magnitude less. Not only that but managed to identify limitations and exaggerations in the manufacturers advertising.
karatestu (Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:18 am)

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:11 pm I am really impressed that a small group of enthusiasts should be able to reproduce the effects of a £500 isolation platform using materials costing two orders of magnitude less. Not only that but managed to identify limitations and exaggerations in the manufacturers advertising.
Thanks Geoff :oops: We are well known here for being sceptical about claims, bling, advertising and marketing fluff. There have been people who have already done similar and made their own with either tubes or springs. I read that somebody using springs costed the materials at about £80 for two platforms, eight springs and associated sundries. Of the course the inner tube version comes in much much cheaper.

I would never ever consider dropping £500+ on an isolating product. Does that £500 only buy you one ? If so £ 1000 por a pair ? I will leave the real thing for those with more money than me.

It has had an amazing effect on the music for me. Better in every way across the whole audio frequency range of my set up. Happy days.
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

NSNO2021 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:56 pm Stu if anyone was an " all or nothing" person it's you. I am still pursuing the all in mode but I can see myself one day saying, enough is enough and moving on but right now that's some way off.
I hope it works out for you Paul. I don't know what the exact problem is except that you couldn't get it stable. I suppose your speakers weigh a lot more than mine especially with those 8mm steel plate stands that don't have a square footprint. Could you try some light square stands to see if that is the problem? Or a bigger diameter tube and platform ?

With springs you can specify stronger (if thats the right word) springs to go under the side that has more mass if the weight is unevenly distributed . Obviously we don't have that luxury with inner tubes. The Townshend products also increase the footprint of the speakers which gives more stability.

Sorry, not trying to teach you how to suck eggs but maybe a fresh set of eyes might help.

Regards, Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:50 am
NSNO2021 wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:56 pm Stu if anyone was an " all or nothing" person it's you. I am still pursuing the all in mode but I can see myself one day saying, enough is enough and moving on but right now that's some way off.
I hope it works out for you Paul. I don't know what the exact problem is except that you couldn't get it stable. I suppose your speakers weigh a lot more than mine especially with those 8mm steel plate stands that don't have a square footprint. Could you try some light square stands to see if that is the problem? Or a bigger diameter tube and platform ?

With springs you can specify stronger (if thats the right word) springs to go under the side that has more mass if the weight is unevenly distributed . Obviously we don't have that luxury with inner tubes. The Townshend products also increase the footprint of the speakers which gives more stability.

Sorry, not trying to teach you how to suck eggs but maybe a fresh set of eyes might help.

Regards, Stu
I would imagine that the Townshend products have been designed to cope with all the vagaries of speaker weight distribution which will go some way to explaining why they are priced as they are. However, whilst I am sure the make a difference I am equally sure that they are not a universal cure-all. I am sitting downstairs with Radio 3 playing in the bedroom above, I can't hear anything being radiated from the ceiling despite the speakers being on stands spiked to the chipboard floor. This is probably because the level is quite low but sufficient for listening 8 feet away. Additionally there are other noises in the house that are louder than anything from the ceiling, as well as the dawn chorus outside.

Listening to a simple piece earlier, Violin, Accordion and Double Bass, I couldn't detect any problems, the Double Bass sounded fine as did the Violin and Accordion. No indication of "one note bass". Does that mean the claims of improved sound from isolation of the speakers are rubbish? No, of course not. What you can hear is what you can hear, but it is just possible that isolation is only effective in some circumstances. The only way to find out is to try.

As to the seismic isolation claims, a little research suggests that at least some of the waves are well below the frequencies of human hearing, in the region of 1Hz others are above that. Unfortunately, although we can isolate our speakers from these seismic waves we cannot do the same for our walls. Even if the speakers aren't isolated does a movement at 1Hz actually matter? I suggest not because it is always there and we simply don't hear it. In theory it could be on all our recordings, but in practice I doubt it, few microphones are sensitive to such low frequencies and neither are microphone pre-amps. The term Seismic Isolation is marketing speak for "it removes something you never knew was there and didn't affect you anyway".
karatestu (Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:46 pm)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Bought a set of the mini-pucks to go under our mini-Klipsch. We are going to be demonstrating the starter bundle (P50, S80 cables) as a table-top system at shows, so was looking for something to isolate them. A much bigger improvement on the previous hard rubber feet than I had expected. I also ordered a set of washing machine cups, to compare...they arrive next week.

These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 2):
CN211276 (Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:30 pm) • antonio66 (Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:50 pm)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

White or black washing machine cups- there is a difference 😱
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;
Tidal / Radio Paradise
Amplification Nva 300va mono blocks
Speakers Lii Audio F-15 in Open Baffle; Ls6
Weiduka AC8.8- for digital sources
Mini BMU for analog sources

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Latteman wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:14 pm White or black washing machine cups- there is a difference 😱
Oh, dear, lol.

I ordered black.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

savvypaul wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:22 pm Bought a set of the mini-pucks to go under our mini-Klipsch. We are going to be demonstrating the starter bundle (P50, S80 cables) as a table-top system at shows, so was looking for something to isolate them. A much bigger improvement on the previous hard rubber feet than I had expected. I also ordered a set of washing machine cups, to compare...they arrive next week.

Interested in your findings.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc