Sitting, standing, walking or crawling

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Sitting, standing, walking or crawling

Unread post by karatestu »

Do your speakers sound the same wherever you are in the room, standing, sitting or sat on the floor ? I don't think there are any that would sound exactly the same but some get close. Others fail miserably (point & squirt anybody ?).

I heard my sister's B&O speaker recently (yes singular). It sounded near enough the same wherever you were in the room. There was just not enough BALLS to the sound if you know what I mean. It is quite small after all. Not nearly enough bass and dynamics for my liking but nevertheless I could probably prefer it to any point and squirter that I have ever heard.

Semi omni's can never sound the same everywhere even with an up firing mid bass. Once you get off axis of the tweeter then all bets are off. Add some more tweeters and you get closer to the goal subjectively. Sounds bloody good to me.

I can imagine the fights that happen in point & squirt residences. Hey it's my turn in the hot seat. No it's not you fecker. Tis so you bearded, smelly pathetic excuse for an audiophile. But if I sit off axis I can't hear all that lovely imaging that makes you think they are in the room. I want them to be able to smell my beard and that last fart I just did. Why would you want that. Would it not be better if we were in their room smelling their beards and their smelly farts ? Oh why didn't I think of that. I could do with a bit of variety.

You can imagine the rest....................
DIY FREE ZONE

TheMarlin
Great Britain

Re: Sitting, standing, walking or crawling

Unread post by TheMarlin »

Many modern monitor speakers are like laser beams, the sound great as long as you keep your head fixed in a foot square space.

That’s why I love old Tannoy Dual Concentrics, a bit like ELS57’s, they spread the love all
Over the place while maintaining solid placement and separation.

Even humble Tannoy Reveal passive monitors impress.
Modded Belles A150 MK2, P90SA, & NVA SSP cables, and LS5.
Leak Stereo 20 & First Audio Classic Copper V2
Modded Lenco GL75 with Saturn arm, heavy custom plinth. Nagaoka MP500.
Nottingham Audio Hyperspace + heavy kit, + Origin Live Conqueror + Koetsu Black
Tom Evans Micro Grove MK2 MC phono
Bluesound Node2i (x2) both with latest power upgrades.
Topping D90MQA and Topping D90SE
Audiolab 6000 CDT transport.
All NVA cables

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

My Arcam One's are not 'properly' positioned, more for background listening in the living-room and subject to furnishing requiements.

But they do manage to fill the room with sound and give enough of a stereo image to place instruments, singers and effects.

Doesn't matter where you are in the room. They sound pleasant, full and delight with their relaxed, gentle detail.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Laser beams - that doesn't sound good to me. If you are sat up straight on your sofa to get in the sweet spot it is a shame you can't lay down or slouch and still be in the zone.

I was under the impression that the cone of a Tannoy acted a bit like a wave guide i.e makes the tweeter more directional. :think:
DIY FREE ZONE