FS: Cube 2

Private sales of kit go here.
baitrunner

Re: FS: Cube 2

Unread post by baitrunner »

Me too. Have had my finger hovering over a YES PLEASE posting for weeks . The only thing that has stopped me is my Cubettes work so well in my room, i am worried bigger may not be better.
These users thanked the author baitrunner for the post:
BillyBones (Sat May 23, 2020 6:53 pm)

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

I started with Cubettes, moved up to Cube 3's, and then finally my Cube 2's. I do not have a huge listening room (5 x 4 mtrs) but each upgrade in speaker has been an improvement. It doesn't matter what type of music I throw at them either.

At the time when The Doc brought out the Cubettes at their ridiculously low price the value for money was as good as it got.
These users thanked the author BillyBones for the post:
baitrunner (Sat May 23, 2020 7:45 pm)

baitrunner

Pretty much same size room as mine . What do the 2's give over the cubettes, is it just a fuller sound with more body or do they give greater detail and insight as well.

BillyBones
Great Britain

There's definitely a bigger presence as you go up the chain, if I can put it like that. When I met The Doc at the NW show once I asked about going up from the A20 to a pair of A40's to a A60 etc and what I should expect. He said just more of everything, simple as that. Same with the Cubes.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Having reworked a pair of old-style MDF Cube 3's up to current spec with The Doc's own doped bass-mid drivers and Visaton tweeters I was really impressed. These replaced a set of Magnepan MMG's which I had loved for their incredible imaging, but the little Cubes added a 'life' and punch that the planar speakers lacked.

RD told me that my little Cubes were about the same as his newer Cubettes and when a chance came to buy a set of Cube2 then I jumped for it ( the last purchase I made from him before his untimely demise).

The Cube2 slams the Cube3 mk1 / Cubette definitively into the shadows. Presence, weight, imaging, soundstage, authority. The Cube2 has it all. Do I need more? No. Would I like more? Erm ....

Billy - don't sell those great speakers unless you're really sure you want to let them go.
Anybody else - grab a terrific bargain while you can.

Happy listening folks. :guiness;
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
BillyBones (Sat May 23, 2020 11:29 pm)
NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube2 - BMU
DAC: TeraDak V4.5 Chameleon CD: Cambridge CXC
Digits: Acer Veriton L460 PC + Volumio + AQ Jitterbug
USB: Oehlbach XXL Masterclock > AQ Carbon USB
Ethernet: Silent Angel Bonn N8 > AQ Cinnamon
Cans: AQ NightHawk Carbon + MF XCAN v3
Laptop: AQ Dragonfly Red + Schiit Wyrd

BillyBones
Great Britain

Don't worry I'm not! Check out my earlier post from this morning. I was sat quietly this morning listening to them and I realised it would be a mistake I would always regret if I did sell them, so I withdrew them from sale. As Terry said, sense has prevailed :grin:

baitrunner

Interesting , looks like i have missed the boat. Definitely whetted my appetite. If you change your mind and decide to sell i am up for trying them.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

baitrunner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:46 pm
Me too. Have had my finger hovering over a YES PLEASE posting for weeks . The only thing that has stopped me is my Cubettes work so well in my room, i am worried bigger may not be better.
If you look back in the archives, I think you will find the Doc's explanation for this. A domestic hifi speaker is a box (the speaker) in a box (the room). Most speaker designs try to ignore the second box (e.g. trying to sell on the basis of readings made in an anechoic chamber). The Cube design (and others) try to work with the room. Hence the many lectures on how to position Cubes.

I have Cubettes, Cube2s and the CubePros, they all work with the room. Moving up the range, like most of the NVA stuff, just gives you less of the mush and more of the music. (sorry, Paul, I want to patent that last bit.) :mrgreen:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Chunk McDaniel
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Good call Billy. If you get the distance from the wall and the toe in just right the Cube 2's disappear and just leave the music in a totally 3d soundstage.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

baitrunner wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:39 pm
Interesting , looks like i have missed the boat. Definitely whetted my appetite. If you change your mind and decide to sell i am up for trying them.
Make some of your own. There is a fair bit of information in the archives and several people here who could hold your hand through a build.

:guiness;
DIY inspired by Richard "The Doc" Dunn RIP