Tinker, Tailor, Streamer, Pi.

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Tinker, Tailor, Streamer, Pi.

Unread post by Fretless »

NSNO2021 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:20 am For all you digital geeks 🙂

Interesting review with a clear explanation of DSD & PCM. Don't think I'll be getting one of those thougn

What is significant is that the digital audio gear coming out of Chinese manufacturers is advancing rapidly. My own experience with the likes of Denafrips, Topping & Sabaj leaves me looking Eastward for the best performance and prices currently available.

The idea of resampling from PCM to DSD before the analogue conversion is intriguing but would require serious processing capability to do properly and a highly accurate clock to prevent jitter.

:geek:
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post (total 2):
George Hincapie (Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:56 am) • antonio66 (Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:10 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

@Fretless You'll have to dig down behind the settee cushions if you want to afford one of them. :lol:
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
Fretless (Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:03 pm)

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Unread post by George Hincapie »

That Cen Grand brand is strange to me. Loads of people on HeadFi jacking off over it. Doesn't do anything for me. I don't find the design attractive at all. The display particularly looks bad.
These users thanked the author George Hincapie for the post:
Fretless (Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:06 pm)
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables
Forza Audio Works • Blue Jeans • DH Labs • Periapt

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

If this resampling to DSD takes off then there will be cheaper copycat models appearing fairly quickly.

Although with the reviewer comparing it to the Denafrips Pontus, it seems like the Denafrips is a better option at the price.
These users thanked the author Fretless for the post:
George Hincapie (Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:36 pm)

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

Right now I am happy with my Pontus2 but your right give it a year or two and there will be some great affordable DSD units coming out of China
These users thanked the author NSNO2021 for the post (total 2):
Fretless (Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:07 pm) • George Hincapie (Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:36 pm)
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

George Hincapie
Great Britain

Fretless wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:06 pm If this resampling to DSD takes off then there will be cheaper copycat models appearing fairly quickly.

Although with the reviewer comparing it to the Denafrips Pontus, it seems like the Denafrips is a better option at the price.
He owns a Venus II, so he is well taken with the R2R approach I think. He is a very fair reviewer though; he is honest if test components better his reference components.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones
HifiMan Sundara • HiFiMan Arya Stealth Edition • ZMF Vérité Closed Ltd (Stabilised) • ZMF Atrium Open Ltd (Hawaiian Koa) • ZMF Aeolus Ltd (Mexican Bocote)

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

George Hincapie
Great Britain

NSNO2021 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:50 pm Right now I am happy with my Pontus2 but your right give it a year or two and there will be some great affordable DSD units coming out of China
I wonder if Denafrips may do something in that space themselves?

Looking forward to finding out more about their streamer. Due autumn this year.
Headphone Amplification
Linear Tube Audio MZ3

Headphones

Digital
Audial S5 • Pi2AES 2.0

Cables

Power
Farad • Tomanek

Sources
Roon • Tidal • Qobuz

antonio66
Great Britain

CN211276 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:38 am
antonio66 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:08 am @y NSNO2021 To be honest we were a little disappointed in the Muon, some tracks seemed to loose their 'get up and go', smoothing the sound too much, although this can be beneficial on other tracks. The effect was very subtle to our old and not so golden ears. We have received two AES/EBU cables, a Shunyata Delta and one from Network Acoustics, initial impressions are they both better my brothers current Gothic cable. We should also be receiving a Shunyata Alpha cable in the next few days.
Interesting comments on the Muon in marked contrast to my experience with rhe Eno where the improvement was immediately apparent and not subtle.
Talking to the dealer yesterday, who'd been talking to the manufacturer said it was split 50/50 on those who found improvements to their systems using the Muon filter. My brother spoke to the manufacturer having a query with the Muon filter and he was very helpful. It was regarding which way round you used the filter, well in fact two reviews have had it the wrong way round although some preferred it this way, the correct way is with the attached short cable going to your streamer.
I did mention previously we were trialing a couple of Shunyata (Delta and Alpha) and the Network Acoustic Muon AES/EBU digital cables. In fairness we couldn't really couldn't tell much difference between the Delta and the twice the price Alpha so we quickly discounted the Alpha due to it's cost. The Delta was a great cable, tighter and more dynamic than our Gothic Audio cable (no slouch itself), but the Muon surpassed even the Delta with all the pluses, and making the music sound even more fluid.
These users thanked the author antonio66 for the post:
CN211276 (Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:39 am)

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

When I bought the Eno and was immediately aware of the big improvement it connected the Cisco switch to the streamer. This was not possible following the upgrade to the OpticalRendu which has to connect directly with the Cisco. Since then the Eno connects to the Cisco. The high quality short length of DH Labs ethernet cable which used to connect the Cisco to the Eno is now the link from the router to the first Cisco in the chain.

I think all the elements in the chain contribute to minimising noise. I do not think the Eno would have had such a dramatic effect had the OpticalRendu already been in place.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

antonio66
Great Britain

CN: We're using Audioquest Vodka from router to switch and Melco C100 from switch to streamer. We are trialing a new switch in the system at the moment, I'll give further info in due course.