A place for DIY project discussions.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
nilsatisnisioptimum
Great Britain

Lead free so

Unread post by nilsatisnisioptimum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:14 am

I have tried a few "audio" solders and they have been ok. I was going to try some lead free stuff Paul at Evolution Audio was raving about but he seems to have stopped trading. Can anyone recommend a good lead free solder ? Thanks in advance Paul
Planar 8,AT-OC9, TE MicroGroove+Xmk2, NVA P90 SA MK2, NVA A80 & PSU X 2, Meridian 204 FM tuner, Lehmann Linear HP amp, Oppo 2 cans, NVA Cubix & LS6

Simon Hickie
Great Britain

Re: Lead free so

Unread post by Simon Hickie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:34 pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WBT-WBT-0805-L ... B002UAWAR4

Lead free, 3.8% silver. Looks decent.

valvesRus
Great Britain

Unread post by valvesRus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:57 pm

Just be aware that lead free solder may require a higher temperature soldering iron.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Why do you want lead free ? I use lead solder all the time, it's still available and a lot easier to use than the lead free.
DIY inspired by Richard "The Doc" Dunn RIP

TroutFisher
Great Britain

Unread post by TroutFisher » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:25 pm

karatestu wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm
Why do you want lead free ? I use lead solder all the time, it's still available and a lot easier to use than the lead free.
+1

Daniel Quinn
Wales

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:24 pm

+2

With only 1 hand, I really do not need anything that makes it harder

nilsatisnisioptimum
Great Britain

Unread post by nilsatisnisioptimum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:13 pm

+3 😀
No particular reason other than someone whose opinion I rated was very enthusiastic and after a bit of head scratching I think it might well have been the Mundorf stuff with the high silver content as I recall him saying it came from Germany. My digital soldering iron says it reaches 340c How accurate that temp reading is I don’t know but hopefully it’s hot enough to work it. I doubt very much I will be penning another thread stating it’s sonically better but I am by nature curious and in short lengths it’s not going to break the bank so what the hell?
Whilst we are at it I am tempted to replace the standard pvc sheathed copper cable with silver plated PTFE sheathed cable, any thoughts on a good wire gauge for amps and speaker internal wiring ? All the best Paul
Planar 8,AT-OC9, TE MicroGroove+Xmk2, NVA P90 SA MK2, NVA A80 & PSU X 2, Meridian 204 FM tuner, Lehmann Linear HP amp, Oppo 2 cans, NVA Cubix & LS6

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:26 pm

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:13 pm
+3 😀
No particular reason other than someone whose opinion I rated was very enthusiastic and after a bit of head scratching I think it might well have been the Mundorf stuff with the high silver content as I recall him saying it came from Germany. My digital soldering iron says it reaches 340c How accurate that temp reading is I don’t know but hopefully it’s hot enough to work it. I doubt very much I will be penning another thread stating it’s sonically better but I am by nature curious and in short lengths it’s not going to break the bank so what the hell?
I was issued with a reel of solder in 1973 as a third year apprentice, I still have some of it left. I therefore suggest that a 100g reel will last you a very long time.
nilsatisnisioptimum wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:13 pm
Whilst we are at it I am tempted to replace the standard pvc sheathed copper cable with silver plated PTFE sheathed cable, any thoughts on a good wire gauge for amps and speaker internal wiring ? All the best Paul
I doubt you would hear much difference but it is your money.

nilsatisnisioptimum
Great Britain

Unread post by nilsatisnisioptimum » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:45 pm

The money for 5m of the fancy solder and PTFE sheathed cable will be less than £30 including postage and as I enjoy playing around with some of my system that’s good value in today’s world. As to whether I hear any improvement, well I’m starting on the basis that it probably won’t so I am not going to be upset if that is actually the case. On a positive note, my curiosity will be satisfied and there’s a slight possibility it might sound better and to my way of thinking it’s more fun than watching the tele on a dark wet evening 👍

Daniel Quinn
Wales

Unread post by Daniel Quinn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:51 pm

It's fun and you'll of been there done that. But I'd have yourself committed if you hear a difference ;)