TIS Interconnects

All things NVA
zebbo
Great Britain

TIS Interconnects

Unread post by zebbo »

Soooooo, as the balance comes down on the credit card from the last round of purchases, my thoughts turn to "upgrades". Well, as I don't really want to go for the whole 3 section Cubix-Pro, the only thing left with any capacity for improvement is the interconnects. At the moment I have SSP which themselves were an upgrade from SSC. The thing I can never quite get my head around is this: My Cubix-Pros have small umbilicals of Sound Cord making up the last 9" or so of the interconnect connection and that's fixed, so how come I can get an improvement by changing the cable preceding this? I know it does from previous experience, but why isn't it the case that I'll only ever hear what the least capable bit of cable, (the last bit of SC), will let pass? Do the different cables average out their electrical properties? If the length of the interconnects are 80% TIS + 20% SC am I getting 80% of the TIS performance? How does it all work? Just wondering like. :mrgreen:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / SME V / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 3 + 2X BBPSU - MEGA!, NVA TAS, NVA Cubix-Pro, (top & mid sections). (Oh and Richard's Sony CDP-X779ES, (if I can fix it), for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Latteman
Great Britain

Re: TIS Interconnects

Unread post by Latteman »

Interesting question
I’ve got an older A60 that on delivery needed repair- it had captive interconnect from the board- I took the opportunity after a few weeks to replace them- I used SC for board to the chassis, new rca plugs then SSc to the pre amp- there was a big difference- an define improvement in the sound and I feel it was the SSC
That is 20cm Sc and then 80cm ssc
Analogue- DIY turntable from Thorens TD321, ARB unipivot Arm; Nagaoka SB mp200- phono 1
Digital Sources- Denon CEOL streamer/Cdp; iPhone Xr; Airport Express Cat7 & 8
Amplification-NVA P20 (modified) & A20LE (👍🏼)
Speakers- Diy Cubes; Ls6
Mini BMU to dc blocker

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

IF the system is up to it the biggest quality jump is to TIS and TSCS.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 »

I found the upgrades to TIS (all the way from DAC to A80s) and TISC made huge improvements. My reviews are in the archieve.
System: DC Blocker, NVA BMU, Cisco 2960G, Sonore MicroRendu/MCRU PS, AQ Jitterbug, ifi iPurifier 3, Chord Mscaler, Chord Qutest/MCRU PS, NVA P90SA Mk2, NVA A80s Mk3, NVA Cube 1s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS, Blue Jeans dual BNC, AQ Carbon USB, Cat 8 ethernet.
HP:Grado SR 325e, Chord Mojo, AQ Carbon.
Analogue: Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP.
Second System:NVA P20, NVA A20, NVA Cubettes, NVA LS3, NVA SSC, Arcam Miniblink or Mojo.
Out:Oppo PM3, AQ DF Red.

RIP Doc

Stemcor1990

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I found that the TIS gave an improvement but having given it some thought perhaps I am not using it to maximum effect.

My TIS is from the phono 2 to the P90SA. It’s SSP from the PL71 to the phono 2 and SSC from the dac to the pre and more SSC from the pre to the power. My thinking was that the TIS should be as close to the source as possible.

Might be time to move the TIS so that it runs from pre to power. I could also use the TIS between the PL71 and the phone 2.

Zebbo, thanks for starting this thread as it has got my brain cell working !

I’ll report back at some point in the future.

CN211276
Wales

Unread post by CN211276 »

I originally ran TIS from the pre amp to the A80s and there was an improvement. However, the improvement was far greater when I added a second length fro the DAC to the pre amp.
System: DC Blocker, NVA BMU, Cisco 2960G, Sonore MicroRendu/MCRU PS, AQ Jitterbug, ifi iPurifier 3, Chord Mscaler, Chord Qutest/MCRU PS, NVA P90SA Mk2, NVA A80s Mk3, NVA Cube 1s, NVA TSCS, NVA TIS, Blue Jeans dual BNC, AQ Carbon USB, Cat 8 ethernet.
HP:Grado SR 325e, Chord Mojo, AQ Carbon.
Analogue: Rega Planar 3, Denon DL-110, NVA Phono 1, NVA SSP.
Second System:NVA P20, NVA A20, NVA Cubettes, NVA LS3, NVA SSC, Arcam Miniblink or Mojo.
Out:Oppo PM3, AQ DF Red.

RIP Doc

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Has me pondering too, thinking about future upgrades.

What is the effect of TIS in comparison to adding a (mini) BMU?
NVA: P50sa - SSP - A40 - LS6 - Cube2 - BMU
Digits: E-Medic ST-M PC + Volumio + AQ Jitterbug
DAC: TeraDak V4.5 Chameleon CD: Cambridge CXC
USB: Oehlbach XXL Masterclock + AQ Carbon USB
Ethernet: Silent Angel Bonn N8 + AQ Cinnamon
Cans: AQ NightHawk Carbon + MF XCAN v3

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Different horses for different courses.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I like SSP a lot, but TIS is another step up in clarity, and even better timing, ime.
Amplification - NVA P90SA / A70s & A60
Analogue - BTE Designs Lenco L59 / Garrard 401 / Ortofon TA-210 / Jelco 750L / Audio Technica ATP 12T / Ortofon SPU / Denon 103 / NVA Phono 2
Digital - Sonore MicroRendu / RME DAC-2
Speakers - NVA Cube 1 / Klipsch Heresy 3

“The one who would whistle to, Throbbing Gristle through, harsh times in Umberstone Covert”

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

I had, until recently, a TIS throughput from CD to power amp via passive pre. Certainly everything was crystal clear, and then some. Moving back (briefly to test) to SP easily illustrated what the TIS was doing. Instruments leapt out of the speakers and vocals filled the room. Most notable was the depth of the presentation, an illusion of course, but almost a 3-dimensional aural image.

My encroaching deafness means I've scaled-back to SSP from CD to integrated (NVA) amp. There is a marked difference to be sure, but enough musicality for my ears to be satisfied. I think it's a credit to Richard that all the cables work supremely and both reflect and enhance the components.

Certainly everything I've used has almost negated the Law of Diminishing Returns.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.