Linn Forum

Commentaries on other forums, people, events etc.
Forum rules
1. No ad-hominem
2. No spamming or shilling
Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Re: Linn Forum

Unread post by Lindsayt » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:23 am

Well Linn did make the Linn Kans didn't they. :obscene-tolietpush:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:07 pm

Well, someone had to...

maybe people forget, 'we' were younger than and loved musical 'excitement' from out stereo's. Linn speakers and CB Naim amps provided this by the effin' bucket load... Domesticated PA system? Almost certainly was, but it kind of suited 70's and 80's pop and rock I remember ;)

Lindsayt
Marshall Islands

Unread post by Lindsayt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:20 am

Yeah, but there was more musical excitement to be had from 1970's to 1980's EV, Altec, JBL speakers than there ever was from Briks, Saras, Kans. And the Yank high efficiency speakers didn't need some stupidly expensive Naim amplification to sing like an aria of canaries.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:19 am

Being there at the time, I think I can say that many 70's JBL's squawked and/orscreeched more than any Linn speaker of the period - the L100 was awful in a HiFi context in original form. The huge ones didn't (I can go down to L65 Jubals if they're lifted off the floor a bit). Sometime in the late 70's or 80's, I gather JBL got in a new designer who worked his bollocks off to improve the range - and in the proper models he did, big time, but by then, the UK market had gone really strange besides the Linn and Naim invasion and the likes of Tannoy (who'd also done much work on their dual concentrics) took their top pro models out of the domestic scene, only represented their not always good bottom-rank models (Tannoy had some floor standers 2000 and 3000? which were incredibly funky sounding) and I remember when an old friend of mine wanted something more lifelike over his late 80's Naim CB six-pack 'brik system and the larger proper JBL and Tannoy market was all but closed to 'us' in the early 90's! Such a shame, but by then, ATC were there to take such people willingly and since then, many others like me followed that particular path (I mean the large three way actives, not the baby models). I deeply regret never being able to hear the then new 'waveguide' large two way models JBL did in the 90's as when I heard the derived/descended 4367 last year -

https://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/id-4367.html

I was stunned in a pleasant way and stood there with a tear in my eye. I doubt many have been sold here though, as they're fairly big things not suited to a UK box shaped living space. I bet Kudos have sold their more expensive (than the 4367) shite actives though, but they were laughably bad to me and also to another old friend of mine who heard them recently at Cymbiosis! The aforesaid JBL's did music very convincingly, the Kudos Titan actives were a dry airless noise to me, even driven by a rack full of large Naim (the other 'room' had tham? Chord driven, so if you know Chord's airless, flat toned amps you'll know how bad it was right from the start before a note was played.

Sorry for digressing.

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 am

Good post DS, totally agree with JBL Synthesis range, heard the S4700 couple of times, i want a pair.

Absolutely you should post here more. :guiness;
Frank...made me do it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:44 am

An excellent few comments on the Wam about some of the new class d Linn streaming products. Something along the lines of a system being chosen because the screen has to fit a particular alcove space, the speakers need to go 'here' and 'here' and it has to be in electric blue (or something similar) - Here's £200k to go and do it all, including a dedicated posh custom housing to fit it all in. The make is irrelevant, the sound less so as long as it works, looks cool and impresses your friends at the end of it.

The first I ever had experience of this was nearly forty years ago in a lovely country house being refurbed on Oxfordshire. The clients were a then thirty summat couple and the stereo was a passive Linn/Naim Isobarik system. I went down to set and check the LP12/Ittok/Asak T from memory, lay the speaker cables in channels created by removing part of the flooring for other cabling being done and connect up the amp and make sure it all worked. One of the client's friends walked in and was impressed by the cool stereo being installed, purely by maker...

Shortly after that I went to a firm selling shedloads of B&O as well as Linn, Naim and Rega and was exposed to this brand loyalty thing almost like no other. Beopeople never looked at anything else, no matter how much better it sounded and I suspect that Linn and Naim are both targeting the current crop of pretty comfortably off people who remember these brands from thirty to forty years ago but maybe couldn't afford them then.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:41 am

The Linn cool aid is still affecting too many people (worst in UK) judging by this ongoing discussion on Hoffman Forum.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/t ... t-19742921

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:50 am

To answer your comments there on the Basik Plus arm and even frailer LVX (I agree the RB300 range upwards are fine as-is and pretty idiot proof), the headshell on this and Ittoks pre the very last LV III's, had screws and loctite holding the shell on the pipe, which was then bolted to the bearing assembly. The lateral races were also bolted and loctited to the pillar tube. It's my experience that careless cartridge changing could and did loosen these joints (especially on the Ittok as the metal bodied MC's often fitted were 'grawnched' up as tight as the bots could go)) and I used to make a point of checking these screws (as instructed by Linn incidentally back in 1982 when 'we' [Michael McClean and I] took apart their demo LP12/Ittok and went through it all) every time one came back for a service or cartridge change.

I readily agree that old LP12's usually settled after a couple of years and new ones with harder and more considerately drilled mounts on the plinths, settle very quickly indeed - a factor in using wood to bolt a springy top plate and bendy under-strap up to. All changed for the better in newer ones I gather...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:03 pm

Must say that bolting cartridges lock tight was a stupid practice and one either started by Linn themselves or certain magazine writers.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:20 pm

I remember my dealer tightening my Akito arm into its locking collar by putting his hand on the armboard to steady it, then heaving on the allen key until the bolt creaked audibly. It was pretty cringe making stuff. He also used the long end of an allen key to tighten in a K18 to the headshell until the allen key visibly flexed. It was terrifying to watch.

Didn't stop the bloody thing sounding like a bag of spanners on anything other than smooth jazz, plinky plonk bollocks.

IIRC, There was even, at the time, a guy called "The Hi-Fi Mekanik" who for a fee, would come round with a big spanner and extension bar, and attack your Kan, Isobarik or Sara speaker stands, drive heavy duty coach bolts into your floorboards to take the points of the spikes, tighten your speaker binding posts so tight to the spade connectors, you'd never be able to change the cables again, and tighten anything else that moved until his temples bulged and his eyes bugged out. He probably only did one job a day due to the effort he had to put in.

I remember, back in '86 or so, playing the pop album "Fore" by Huey Lewis and the News on my LP12. Jesus Christ those gated drums were enough to blow out the windows and fizzed like buggery into the bargain. I positively cowered.

The LP12/Akito/K18 or K9, is the only combo have ever heard that could produce fizzy drum strikes. I mean fizzy cymbals at the ends of sides, yes plenty of combinations other than the LP12/Akito/K18, will do that if the stylus profile is not a fine line, but fizzy drums was something quite unique to the LP12.

I remember concert campaign called "Classical Music Bloody Loud" that did the rounds at that time too. It was classical music from chamber to full orchestral, played through a huge PA system. "Gramophone" was outraged at the whole concept. The originators of that set of shows must have been dyed in the wool Flat Earthers with Six packs and DBLs trying to get classical to sound like it did on their home systems, complete nutters or both. I don't recall "Classical Music Bloody Loud" lasting very long. :lol:
DIY NVA amplification ( roughly equivalent to NVA A60) BTE Designs passive preamp, BTE Designs Lenco L75 turntable, Rega R200 arm, Goldring E3 cartridge, NVA Phono 1
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC, AppleTV4 with Apple Music subscription, ripped CDs streamed via WD MyCloud Home Duo NAS, with PLEX media server.
Speakers - Large sealed cabs, with Fane 12-250-TC 12" full range drivers.