Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Room to arrange and discuss bake-offs
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Yorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is NOT a MC or the level will not be where it is, so who ever the feck told you that is talking out of their arse, and so it still continues. There is NO fault condition that will give these results, if there was a fault it would by all the laws of chance be on only one channel, and if it didn't work then it wouldn't work at all - FULL STOP.

Please stop continuing this bullshit from people who know nothing but want to make conflict. The only explanation is it is a MM. Or I suppose there is the possibility I fitted the wrong resistors or forgot to change them, but in any normal circumstances after owning it for 6 months that would have shown up and have been corrected.

With normal phono stages if you put a MC into MM input the music will be all over the place as well as the gain, as I have said so many time I really don't know why I keep wasting my time THE NVA DESIGN IS LOAD REJECTING FOR MANY REASONS I HAVE EXPLAINED MANY MANY MAN...........TIMES BEFORE - DOES NO ONE LISTEN!! so it would sound normal just with low gain.

Why are you getting involved anyway ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Just noticed this part of the game uploaded at that joke of a forum.

It shows a MM load resistor and a MC gain resistor which makes absolutely no sense. Even then they got it wrong, can't even copy out a circuit this simple. Are we supposed to believe these eediots are experts.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Y rdorkshire HIFI club Phono Stage write up / results

Unread post by CN211276 »

I can't get my head around this low volume issue. If there was a problem it would have come to light in the time MCRU has owned the Phono stage. I have a Phono 1 with P50SA and a high output MC and there are no volume issues. The output is comparable to the middle setting of my Chord Qutest DAC.

This volume issue appears to be a hatchet job instigated by Ywanker, MCRU and Open all hours. If this is not the case, they should agree to a name off with the Doc or a Phono 2 owner, apart from MCRU, present.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Lurcher300b

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

If there was a problem it would have come to light in the time MCRU has owned the Phono stage.
He tried it once a few months ago, told me he had a problem with low frequency oscillation, I offered to take a look, he said not to bother, so I didn't.

Don't create a conspiracy where one doesn't exist. It may seem strange to you that some one would buy something, try it once, have a problem and not try and get it sorted, but you don't know Dave :-). I was planning on getting it and measuring it this weekend, but when I asked him he said Mark had borrowed it.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

If it was known that there was an issue, why was it included in the bake off? There was no shortage of Phono stages.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Lurcher300b wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:18 pm
If there was a problem it would have come to light in the time MCRU has owned the Phono stage.
He tried it once a few months ago, told me he had a problem with low frequency oscillation, I offered to take a look, he said not to bother, so I didn't.

Don't create a conspiracy where one doesn't exist. It may seem strange to you that some one would buy something, try it once, have a problem and not try and get it sorted, but you don't know Dave :-). I was planning on getting it and measuring it this weekend, but when I asked him he said Mark had borrowed it.
So he knew he had a problem yet he put it in the bake-off and you say we are inventing a conspiracy, it sounds completely deliberate to me to create this situation. And then he passes it to YNWanker knowing or at least thinking it had a problem, and you think we are inventing a conspiracy. Do me a favour just get it send it back I will see what is the problem give a full public report and then either send it back or give a refund. I would much prefer to do the latter.

Thermionic Idler
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Thermionic Idler »

I was there, and I'm guessing it was just down to low levels from the cartridge to be honest, but tech investigation will confirm. For me, it came as a bit of a relief to have the NVA stage playing a bit less ear-bleedingly loud lol. I could still hear perfectly well what it was doing musically and I thought it sounded bloody marvellous frankly.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So more evidence this is a deliberate spoiler being played.

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

Agreed it sounded fine, just quiet.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Did they turn the volume up enough ? What was the low output cartridge being used? Strange they were playing everything very loud rather than 'normal' levels. Obviously they like PA systems.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)