Hi-Fi Honesty

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Hi-Fi Honesty

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:35 pm ...To an extent i know what people mean with the lp12, but not the rega. But there again, it is not my place to say that someone is wrong for liking the rega, and i dont get the attitude of people who feel they have the right to say that someone is wrong for doing so.

Its that attitude that i have issue with, not the fact that they proclaim that x is better than y
What do you think is going on when there's 2 sets of people that have such polar opposite views of the Rega Planar 3?

1 set saying it's the best turntable of its' era short of an LP12.
Another set saying it was the turntable equivalent of AVI ADM9's. :lol:

It's clear that each set of people are convinced that the other set is wrong. You may not like people expressing their views that the other set of people are wrong. But that's the truth of the situation.
We could all be nicey nicey and diplomatic about it. Or we could be more forthright.
I don't mind someone disagreeing with me in forceful manner, as long as it doesn't descend into wide of the mark, ad hominem personal insults.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Well thats the point isnt it. For some reason, these discussions always end up in a stupid row over black plastic.
Life is far too short for that.
If i have no dog in a race, its irrelevant to me which dog wins
I dont have an opinion on what another person likes and doesnt, why would i? Why should they care what i like and dont like.
The arguments over things like this are pointless because there is no right.
Just because something is said, it doesnt mean it needs to be responded to
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
DaveyTed (Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:22 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Edit: why do i think there are 2 sets of people with different opinions? Because they are looking for different things and have found what the want in different products
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:18 pm Well thats the point isnt it. For some reason, these discussions always end up in a stupid row over black plastic.
I dont have an opinion on what another person likes and doesnt, why would i? Why should they care what i like and dont like.
Your opinion matters because you have more experience than most, for example you may be able to prevent someone from pairing an expensive moving coil cartridge with an unsuitable arm. Some combinations are never going to produce a good sound how much one might want them to. There might not be a “right” but there are clearly some wrongs where vinyl playback is concerned.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:18 pm Well thats the point isnt it. For some reason, these discussions always end up in a stupid row over black plastic.
On the other hand:

there's the poking the ants nest form of entertainment.
Why do blokes talk about football down the pub?

There is a right in this case. The Rega Planar 3 was pretty shit.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Investigate when and how people formed thier opinion of a piece of equipment.

This is the single most important thing to know , it is also the thing that people don't offer
These users thanked the author Daniel Quinn for the post (total 3):
Lindsayt (Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:31 pm) • CN211276 (Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:22 pm) • savvypaul (Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:27 pm)

DaveyTed
Great Britain

Unread post by DaveyTed »

If everyone thought, and listened, the same there would be very little choice on the market. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion without criticism. We should encourage helpful guidance such as suitable equipment pairing. For a hifi newcomer to read comments saying their turntable, or whatever, is crap or rubbish is hardly constructive.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Lindsayt wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:10 pm
On the other hand:

there's the poking the ants nest form of entertainment.
Why do blokes talk about football down the pub?

There is a right in this case. The Rega Planar 3 was pretty shit.
I never talk football, I don’t know anything about it, I know somewhat more about the oval ball game with 15 players, which still isn’t much.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

DaveyTed wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 pm If everyone thought, and listened, the same there would be very little choice on the market. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion
I'm with you up to here...
DaveyTed wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 pm Everyone is entitled to their own opinion without criticism.
And everyone is entitled to challenge any opinion, and back up why they disagree. That is (or should be) the core purpose of any forum. I'm assuming that we want to learn rather than be patted on the back. What we don't allow is personal attack (ad-hominem), but anyone can attack the content of anything that anyone says, as robustly as they want.
DaveyTed wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:12 pm For a hifi newcomer to read comments saying their turntable, or whatever, is crap or rubbish is hardly constructive.
You would prefer that experienced listeners do not proffer opinions based on what they have heard?
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
Lindsayt (Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:49 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I like gear that gets out of the way of the music. I judge gear by how long (and how often) I want to listen to music for. Gear can only 'lose' music, so the best gear for me is that which loses the least of the music along the way, and doesn't obviously add anything of it's own - the least dirty window, for me, please. I could listen to a well fettled Lenco all day, I could listen to a 301 or a 401 for nearly as long, I suspect I could listen to a decent Technics for a long time.

When I owned a Linn LP12 (with Naim pre power and Linn Kans), around 20 of my records sounded fantastic, but most of the rest of my 2,000 records sounded a lot less engaging. I was left with the feeling that I was hearing the colouration of the LP12 more than I was hearing the music. A bit like applying a special effects filter.

I could write my review of the Rega 6 that I took a punt on and owned for a few months in one word - meh. It was mediocre at playing any genre of music. It was not a case of strengths and weaknesses; I cannot think of a single area of it's performance that I would rank as strong. I was much happier with a RP10 that I had on demo, though - one of the most engaging renditions of Jimmy Jazz by The Clash.

I think it's true that some gear does some things very well at the same time time as doing some other things quite badly, and I can hear how that suits certain genres better than others. The Klipsch Heresy are great for country, folk, punk etc, but poor on classical. But, they are known to be a certain flavour and I don't think that many people claim otherwise. The Quad 57s are magical at chamber music, but I doubt their ability to have me playing air guitar to White Noise by Stiff Little Fingers.

I think that some of the posts (both here and there) are talking about two subtly different things - performance of the gear vs personal preference. If someone said that the Rega 2 / 3 /6 was their favourite turntable (bar a Linn LP12), I would respect their personal preference but I would think that 'closest to the music' was perhaps not their overriding priority, or that they hadn't heard many other turntables. I would also factor in that one of human beings basic needs is to 'belong'. I have absolutely no doubt that some 'audiophiles' have a greater need for belonging, and you wouldn't 'belong' for long if you went on a forum of Linn and Rega devotees to tell them that they might be deaf.
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post (total 3):
Geoff.R.G (Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:08 pm) • CN211276 (Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:24 pm) • Lindsayt (Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:51 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/