Speakers for P20+A20?

All things NVA
Raul_77
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Spain

Speakers for P20+A20?

Unread post by Raul_77 »

Please, recommendations of speakers that sound good with the P20+A20, especially between 150-200 €. But any recommendations will be welcome.

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Speakers for P20+A20?

Unread post by Fretless »

I picked up a pair of Mission 760's for €35 in a secondhand shop. Took the wadding out, sealed the cabinets and lined them with steel plates that I got from a DIY store. They sound like high-grade monitors now.

There is a wealth of information on HFS about this process.

Something like that - any well-made speaker of reasonable quality that you can get hold of second-hand can be easily improved and will sound quite formidable with any NVA amp.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Raul_77
Spain

Unread post by Raul_77 »

Thanks. When I search for 'doc mods' find 1159 matches. Please, what is the good for speakers?
Sincerely

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

Hi Raul_77
If you want cheapish ready made, then Royds have been found repeatedly to be an excellent match for NVA amplification, in particular Royd Minstrels. Or I think that elsewhere the Doc is advertising a pair of demo cubettes (a line he is discontinuing) which would be perfect.
If you want to go the "Doc Mod" route then anything. There hasn't yet been found a speaker which hasn't benefited.
Doc Mods is a system of do it yourself modifications which the Doc has published to encourage people to get into doing it yourself. Initially it was thought that you should use a donor speaker with good quality drivers and a solid cabinet, but it's been found that sufficient plating improves pretty much any cabinet, and the doc will provide (for a fee of course) good quality pre-doped drivers in a variety of sizes.
The initial steps are easily reversible if you want to have a trial, but I guess if it's your first go it'd be best to use a donor unit that you're not too precious about.
1 remove all internal wadding
2 line inside of cabinets with steel plate
3 replace crossover components with resistor on tweeter
4 Dope driver(s)
I think Daniel Quinn was amongst the first to try the Doc Mods route hereabouts, but many people have also experimented on a wide variety of donor speakers, and all including the Doc himself are free with advise and happy to answer questions.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Last pair of Cubettes can only be collected which will be very long drive for him.

Raul_77
Spain

Unread post by Raul_77 »

[replace crossover components with resistor on tweeter]

Is this correct, it will not be a capacitor? Thanks
More suggestions, please.
Sincerely

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Capacitor and padding resistor if needed.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Raul, just check out any of the Doc Mod threads for all the info you need. Once you have got a pair of speakers to modify then someone here will be able to give specific advice for that model.

Where do you live in Spain?

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I have found JPW speakers to be very good with NVA. The Sonata can be had at very good prices from ebay but the P and AP series JPWs are even better and excellent candidates for Doc mods using a pair of 8 inch drivers.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Raul_77
Spain

Unread post by Raul_77 »

I live in the Northwest of Spain, currently in a town called Santiago de Compostela, but I come from an area of fishing villages that they call 'Coast of the Death' because of its unexpected storms and treacherous sea currents. It rains a lot and that's why the area is very green. Life is quiet and the food is reputed to be very good, it is said that it looks a lot like Ireland.
The modifications for loudspeakers interest me, I can build what I want, but the question really goes to commercial products, most people do not dedicate to DIY, and it is for them that I have asked the question. For example, you have talked about Mission. Are these good speakers for the P20+A20 set? Are there other commercial products recommended?:

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/mission-lx-2-speakers-pair

http://www.mission.co.uk/product.php?cid=13

https://www.avforums.com/review/mission ... view.13229

By the way, a preamp+power stage are two boxes, comes out more expensive and is more uncomfortable in addition to needing an extra like the connection cables. It is easier to place a single box as an integrated amplifier, in addition there are fewer contacts in the way of the signal by not needing the cables, which I suppose can improve the sound somewhat.
Would not it be better to increase the size of the A20 and convert it to an integrated amplifier? The switch could be a two-position lever without a button, these two things could still lower the price a little more, which would be good for an initiation amplifier, which is what is assumed to be the P20+A20.
It would also be good to complete the initiation system with a few basic speakers. Little Cubettes?
As the initiation amplifier would seem too much to the AP20, perhaps in the AP20 could be put the power transformer of the A30, the small increase in price surely no one would care due to the increase in power.
Yes, I will not put any more suggestions, I promise, do not be angry Mr. Dunn, you do not have to answer, I promise that I will never, never, ever put another suggestion :-)
More suggestions about speakers, please. Sincerely