NVA SSP mk1 => mk2

All things NVA
Fretless
Netherlands

NVA SSP mk1 => mk2

Unread post by Fretless »

Recent cable disturbances, caused by my two cats deciding to stage a territorial dispute behind the stereo, led me to decide to switch to runs of the newer bendy SSP mk2 in place of the stiffer mk1 version. I now have several cables with a dodgy connection due to the stiff wires. The longer the lead the more vulnerable they are.

I already had a single length of SSP mk2 here, purchased as a digital coax link and so a second was ordered from NVA world HQ and has finally arrived. It looks as if HM Customs and Excise are thoroughly scrutinising every single piece of post that passes to and from Continental Europe at the moment - a couple of months ago something like an interconnect cable or a CD ordered from Ebay would be here in about 3 days. This cable has taken 10 days to arrive and a CD I ordered at the same time has done 12 days since it was indicated as having being shipped.
Hooray for Brexit ! :angry-fire:

Back to audio: Switching from stiff n'solid to new & bendy not only makes my system more cat-proof - it has also improved the sound! Oh, yes. (As a note - the DAC-pre link is still 40cm SSP mk1) There is a subtle but noticeable difference in the character of the interconnects.

SSP mk1 is vital, 'edgy' and somehow slightly 'brittle' in comparison to Mk2. The newer cable is rounder and more restrained but gives more 'air' and breathing-space for the instruments. A sense of increased 3D depth within the sound field. It feels as if the amps are running less 'loud' but make up for that with a greater ease in the presentation.

The end result is an enjoyable, enveloping presentation of the music where I, as a listener, feel more involved.

Pleasantly surprised - thanks, Doc. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: NVA SSP mk1 => mk2

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Nice review Fretless, bravo Sir :clap:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

As an addendum to the above, I have just added a second run of SSP Mk2 from DAC to Preamp replacing the Mk1 that was proving vulnerable to cat-damage. Thanks to Quarknosis for a nice bargain.

These are, possibly, a prototype set (Quark got them from Kaz) and are considerably thicker than the other SSP Mk2 that I have.

Findings soundwise are similar to the impression in my opening blurb here - but more. The 'NVA-Effect' of the whole system opening-up, relaxing and simply letting more music flow out is further strengthened.

Let the music live! :dance: :violin: :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I knew the SSPmk1 cable type used as a bit dependant on the gear it's used with and not sure microwave-type cables work in some stereo setups where there's possibly a lot of uhf shit comping down the cabling that more basic cables damp out or filter away (all supposition of course). The SSPmk2 is different entirely I think and it benefits almost anything you connect it to - at least my loan sample did here. To me, it's a fine big musical step up from the SSC and not too far off the TIS and lucky are those able to buy it imo… Again, wonderful in non-NVA systems too!!!

These wire differences need a few minutes to fully appreciate and on a quick A-B comparison I doubt you'd notice much. Like the TIS mk1 I have here, if you live with these for a while and then go back to something basic like SC or Van Damme, they're sorely missed as the musical 'soul' seems a little further away (can't describe it better I'm afraid)… When my loaner SSPmk2 went off to someone else, I missed it greatly and it made me convert my own SC to SSC at least to try to close the gap a little!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...