Linn Lies

All general audio posts go here.
Alfi
Wales

Re: Linn Lies

Unread post by Alfi »

Apparently he's a professor now! :hbs: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alfi.

PS . The LP12 is a good turntable with no springs, a tidy sub chassis and the motor in a different location to standard :o
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

jayman67 wrote:what really winds me up is the price of a new belt,£50 for a poxy bit of rubber,i mean you can buy a car tyre for that and thats steel re-enforced! how can they justify that??
If the design is based on the Thorens TD150 a Thorens belt should fit, at under half the price. Probably get a suitable belt for around $15 from Vintage Electronics but the Linn enthusiasts wouldn't do that would they?

Malaikat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Malaikat »

Even Russ Andrews sells one for less than Linn: Origin Live belts for Linn (an alleged upgrade, no less) £29.60!!!!! - Unless, I misread it of course and it was £296.00!!
I'm a NAIM owner but beginning to see through the rip-off culture. I always wanted a NAIM (having believed the bullshit). I wish I had known about NVA then - but at least I've got a NVA BMU - easily the biggest upgrade I've heard in any system I've owned. I know which brand I shall be buying next! The entertainment value on this site is amazing ! too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Malaikat wrote:Even Russ Andrews sells one for less than Linn: Origin Live belts for Linn (an alleged upgrade, no less) £29.60!!!!! - Unless, I misread it of course and it was £296.00!!
I looked up the price of a TD150 belt from Bob at Vintage Electronics, he wants $9.50. He also lists a belt for the LP12, also $9.50. Even with postage at $8.00 that comes out at a fraction of what Linn think it should cost and still much cheaper than £29.60 too.

I think £35 is a lot to pay for a sticky label with the Linn log on the packet.

jayman67
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

yes but and i quote.....The unique Origin Live Upgrade Belt is made from a special :Bllocks: rubber far superior to that found in normal belts :hbs: , providing a great opportunity to seriously upgrade the performance of your turntable.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Really? Special rubber eh? Does it come from a special rubber plantation too I wonder?

The original belt on my TD160 was replaced very recently after over 30 years, it wasn't up to spec but it was still usable (much to my surprise). What should I expect from a £50 belt, 100 years?

The belt in my tape deck didn't do as well, it was unusable after about 25 years, now if Linn did tape decks what would they want for one of those I wonder? Judging by the price difference between turntable belts and tape deck belts, something like £100 and of course I wouldn't be able to fit it myself would I?

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As with most hifi bullshit , there is an element of truth they have usually borrowed from elsewhere . There is a clearly a science to rubber and various qualities just ask formula 1 tyre manufactures . However how this assists the revolution of a platter at 33.3 via a motor is somewhat opague .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is nothing about a Linn LP12 that justifies the rip-off prices. Or anything else Linn either. It is a clever marketing company with duff product living on the bullshit it has created for decades.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Ivor T and Linn have spouted :Bllocks: since the LP12 first hit the market place. He still does, as does his Son!

The real sad thing is people still believe the mantra. Hell, I was taken in by it - more fool me, but I'm getting my own back now! :mrgreen:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

When I discovered that the Glasgow mafia were charging £50 for a drive belt, and their reasons for justifying the price, it brought back memories of how I had upset these rip off merchants with home truths over 35 years ago. As I still have the magazines, I could not resist bringing this to light on the Internet.

What amazes me is that, though many have seen the error of their ways, there is a priesthood who lap up the bull purveyed by these charlatans. Ivor’s response to my letter received some sympathy on pfm! Are those who have blindly followed the LP12 upgrade path showing signs of senility? It has always been the case and is even more so now, as the dealers and magazines they controlled no longer hold sway, that you can always do far better at well below the prices Linn charge for anything in their expanded range, which was built upon the success of a king with no clothes on.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc