Linn Lies

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Linn Lies

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The brainwash is/was very deep. If you create a cult you have to create an "us and them" and the us have to believe they are cleverer and more special than the normal mortal. that is all the flat earth was - A Cult! The people who are in it so deep cannot get out now unless they deny everything they have held to be true, it is a big wrench that some people can't or wont make as it makes them look like idiots for falling for it, well they are/were idiots and the more we laugh at them the more angry they get.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The best way around that is to appreciate that their are no universal truths . All that I hold true , is true for today only , tomorrow can wait as who knows what will happen or what you will find out .

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Anyone who owned a car that needed the setting-up of an LP12 would have sold it and bought something more reliable very quickly.
At the time the TD150 was cheaper, near identical and didn't need the continual set-up. No idea what either sounded like as I have never used them but I too remember those first reviews and on those alone would have taken the TD150 route.

Do people really take their Turntables back to the dealer for regular maintenance and alignment?

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Yes, I used to get mine set up. I was taken in by the whole thing. In 1993, my system consisted of:

Linn LP12 /Akito mk1/K18
Linn Pretek /Powertek amplification
Linn Index 3 speakers on Linn Ku-Stone stands
Linn K whatever speaker "kable"

I had gotten rid of a Naim 62/110 for the Pretek/Powertek and a pair of Royd Edens for the Index/Ku-stones

The whole thing leaves me ashamed of myself :| The amount of money I have wasted over the years is eye-watering.
In the end I finished up so skint, I was reduced to building my own equipment because even after spending thousands over the years chasing my tail everything still sucked. It's not just Linn, it's everything about this damned industry, which seems to be populated mostly by shysters selling blingy overpriced garbage, intended to prize money from the gullible.
Building my own equipment has taught me that getting a proper musical performance out of a piece of gear is no walk in the park, in fact, it is extremely difficult proposition, that takes a great deal of time, auditioning, measuring, testing and doing all over again.
I would suggest that a lot of manufacturers, ruled by the accountant and the sales guy simply do not have the will to put in the work required, preferring instead to crank up the bullshit machine to eleven in the hope that gullible punters will bite.
The fact that the punters who have the money to purchase this outrageously priced stuff mostly couldn't give a flying fook about sound quality has registered with them and hence we have the increasingly stupid looking speaker syndrome, fire hose cables that come in ebony presentation boxes, amps a metre deep and turntables that look like industrial machine tools.
This is the last desperate gasp of a dying industry. It cuts no ice with sensible audio buffs and cuts no ice with the luxury market either. They are akin to the group of T Rex looking up at the prehistoric skyline watching a large object crossing the heavens, then turning away and getting on with scoffing the remains of the Stegosaurus they downed a couple of hours ago.
The future lies in the hands of the small mammals that will evolve after the cataclysm, but the T Rex are oblivious at the moment.
The modern day small mammals, will be the artisan builders, but the bling merchants are trying to hang on by their fingernails. It's futile and they just don't get it.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

DQ i.e. open mind. All religions and even some political philosophies are cults, anything that stops you questioning or has as DQ says universal truths is a cult - full stop!

The world is full of them.

Daniel Quinn

I Watched a Disney film the other day "the good dinosaur" The premise was the asteroid that hit the Earth wiped out the dinosaurs missed .

Roll on a couple of million years and the dinosaurs had evolved human like , though they still looked like dinosaurs . They could talk and cultivated the land .

perhaps there is hope for the Linnies .

and doc , you are correct , the world is full of them ,which is why we must point them out :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Communism

Daniel Quinn

:lol: DQ is not a commy . DQ is a Marxist . Historical materialism will tell you there are no universal truths .

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Geoff.R.G wrote:Anyone who owned a car that needed the setting-up of an LP12 would have sold it and bought something more reliable very quickly.
Too right Geoff.
Geoff.R.G wrote:Do people really take their Turntables back to the dealer for regular maintenance and alignment?
Indeed they do and then they let themselves be told that one side of the Linn felt mat "sounds" better than the other - AND THEY BELIEVE IT! But of course if there were any truth in this and the Customer actually came first, then surely this would be marked at the factory ?

The entire scam is plain as day but because the poor punter must think the dealer has golden ears as well as bollocks, they agree (by God I can hear the difference - yes of course you can :lol: ) and once they do that the dealer then has them in his hands to sell them the next overpriced "upgrade".

It would be great if someone like me and the Doc could turn up at e.g. Cymbiosis for an LP12 session - now that would be interesting as well as very enjoyable I feel :lol: :lol:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

DQ - Ok change that to marxism :teasing-poke: