First Post Introduction

Forum for admin topics, member introductions and general non-hifi chitchat.
Neonknight

First Post Introduction

Unread post by Neonknight »

Thought I should write a post to say hello. From the U.S., so my system is going to be a bit different from most. I am a one system kind of guy, but I seem to have collected a few turntables along the way. But here it is

Electra Print 300B Custom amplifier
Proceed Amp 2 for the bass drivers
Pass B1 pre amplifier
DEQX 2.6P DSP processor, that also functions as an active pre amp
Audio Magic Kukama DAC Enlightened Audio Designs T1000 transport
Liberty Audio B-1 phone stage
Hawthorne Audio Trio speakers with 10" Sterling Silver drivers
Infinity Cascade 15 subwoofer
Audio Magic Mini Reference power conditioner
Speaker wire from Analysis Plus Interconnects Analysis Plus and VDH Audio Power Cords from ZU Audio

Now as far as turntables, well that is complicated.

Main table is Galibier Serac with Pete Riggle 12" String Theory arm and ZYX 4D cartridge
Second table is a Thorens TD 124 with Eminent Technology II arm and Transfiguration Spirit III cartridge
Casual table is a Thorens AR XA with major modifications from Marc Morin and Denon 103M retyped with LC diamond

Project pieces include a

Garrard 401 restored by Loricraft and a nice condition Technics SP 10 MK II. Tone arms are an Audiomods Classic II and a Project 12CC EVO. Cartridges are an Audio Technica 50ANV and an interesting project...Ortofon MC200. I have a SUT built with Cinemag CM1254, intended for the 103M and MC200.

One day I will have to sort out this turntable collage out....

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: First Post Introduction

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Welcome! Put your knight's-armour on and dive right in.

Hope you don't find the posts here too UK-centric. If you can find stuff to contribute to, it would be good to hear how the US audio industry is doing, how dealers are similar or different to 'here' in the UK and how the US press is too...

As for your decks, I don't know the Galibier, but of the others, it's my opinion that the SP10 II has the potential to blow the others away, despite them looking pretty (I have a huge soft spot for the 401 and TD124, but neither are as 'clean' sounding, whatever plinth you put them in...)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Welcome on board NeonKnight...... :clap:
You wouldn't be a Fan of "Black Sabbaths - Heaven and Hell" album by any chance. :?: :dance:

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Your dead right Neonknight, I don't know much about your system, have obviously heard of a couple of items though. Welcome to the forum and looking forward to an open minded Yanks view of hi fi. :grin:

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Welcome! :clap:

Neonknight

jammy395 wrote:Welcome on board NeonKnight...... :clap:
You wouldn't be a Fan of "Black Sabbaths - Heaven and Hell" album by any chance. :?: :dance:
I don't listen to much heavy metal anymore, but I never have lost my appreciation of Black Sabbath, AC/DC, or early Judas Priest.

The two studio albums that Dio did with Sabbath were remarkable. And Heaven and Hell remains one of my favorite songs, its style and range is captivating to me. But both albums were great, and I do enjoy listening to them when the moment takes me.

Neonknight

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Welcome! Put your knight's-armour on and dive right in.

Hope you don't find the posts here too UK-centric. If you can find stuff to contribute to, it would be good to hear how the US audio industry is doing, how dealers are similar or different to 'here' in the UK and how the US press is too...

As for your decks, I don't know the Galibier, but of the others, it's my opinion that the SP10 II has the potential to blow the others away, despite them looking pretty (I have a huge soft spot for the 401 and TD124, but neither are as 'clean' sounding, whatever plinth you put them in...)
Lets see if I can post a pic of my Serac. Its history is that it was from one of the original members of the Teres Audio Project, which was inspired by the Scheu design.

Ok there it is, but I don't have the ZUX mounted up in that photo, think I had an Accuphase AC3 at that time.

I actually find that the Serac and the TD 124 sound more similar than different. Yes there are differences, but they are more shadings than gulfs in performance.

I have owned a Technics SP25 and 15, and been soundly disappointed in both of them. They lost a lot of ambient information, and tonal distinctions. I am hoping the SP 10 Mk II can be better than both of those tables. I am strongly considering moving the ET II tone arm over to it, and giving it what I feel is my best arm technically speaking. I really enjoy it on the 124, so it should thrive on the Technics.

But I need to acquire a plinth for the SP 10 before I can begin. Although I have been giving it serious thought about placing it free standing with some isolation feet under Neath, and mounting the arm to an inert block of something, possibly acrylic or a dense sandwich of birch ply as a trial run to see what might be possible.

jammy395

Great post NK.....love that wooden arm - Legend has it the original was crafted from Harry Potters Wand....... :lol:

Seriously though, Do you like it. :!:

Neonknight

jammy395 wrote:Great post NK.....love that wooden arm - Legend has it the original was crafted from Harry Potters Wand....... :lol:

Seriously though, Do you like it. :!:
A couple of years back I went down this rabbit hole of multiple turntables, as an experience of what might be possible at the price ranges I play at. I am an audio opportunist, lived in a small town, and was forced to buy much of my gear from the net since it was not local anyways. To maximize my audio kitty I bought nicely used gear, proof on concept one off's, show demo, close outs, and what not.

I do enjoy the Serac/String Theory arm, it does well with dynamic scale, tonal color and texture, and attack. Analog at the price point I play at has frequency discrepancies I think, but all and all its pretty well balanced as a combo. It probably errs to a bit of warmth and robustness, but its not horribly shaded in that direction. The arm I bought as a beta offering, and its inspired by the Well Tempered design, with an azimuth adjustment system similar to the Nottingham design I think. Pricing on tone arms is crazy, but this one was quite reasonable for what I paid. $800USD, but 3 months of waiting till mine was done. Now the arm is $1900 or so.

I still think the ET II is one of the better choices out there, and for what they can be had off the used market, quite reasonable. Although the Advanced Analog MG I looks to be a neat interpretation of the design, and quite affordable.

But when I tally up the cost of all these analog bits and pieces, I could have a mighty fine single table if I wanted. And my default setting is to one great component over multiples. So I plot and scheme. But there is that nagging feeling that the SP 10 Mk II could be as good as anything I can reach to, and I need to find out what its capable of. And if so, all those other tables could be moved, and the funds applied to a serious set of speakers.

But, the flip side is yes, I could live with the Serac, its still better than the 124 ET II, but not by a large margin. And both are very good tables. Heck I could live with the 124. I just want to find out which table I prefer the most, or if there is another level I can reach towards. A SOTA Nova or Millennium with SME V could be attainable if purchased right.

Edit: You guys will have to forgive my misspellings and word salad. Using a tablet, and between a temperamental touch screen keyboard and auto correct, my writings can contain a few glitches.

jammy395

Once again KN great post, very interesting, although I will stick my hand up and say .....A lot of it is beyond me.(So please excuse if I dont respond with a lengthy reply)
Doc or Dave know a bit about TTs (DQ does not..... :lol: ) and will hopefully respond.
Never thought about a long waiting list....but I guess it is hand made. :!:
I waited 3 bloody months for my headphone cable...glad to say it was worth it.
:guiness;