What RCM?

All general audio posts go here.
rikardo1979
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

What RCM?

Unread post by rikardo1979 »

Ive just finished another record cleaning session. Done 15 records today :chores-laundry:

I have the new Pro-Ject VC-S RCM which I am very happy with. But only after few little modifications I have made to it :whistle: .

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1MFBEEYOo[/BBvideo]

I was not happy when Pro-Ject change clamp design in last minute so I have modified this, and get the original design back.
ProJect new clamp seals is bad and I have reverted all back to original design as it was meant.
Removing the rubbery mats and I put rubber O-ring back. So this way no moisture is going to be sucked into it and than on labels!
ImageImageImageImage

New O-ring material which is 2mm in diameter fits perfectly to original clam grooves. No glue is needed as it is very tight. O have done over 150 records so far and it have not moved a bit.
ImageImageImage

When in groove it still stick out about 0.62mm, which is perfectly enough to make a tight seal once clamped on record

ImageImage

Another simple modification I have done to this machine today, I just chopped 1/2 or even 2/3 of the spindle leaving just 2.5 or 3 threads
It was just way to long and took ages to screw/unscrew top clamp and it was driving me crazy.
Be aware, with this you probably going to loose your warranty! But it does not bother me...

Than I have replaced the plastic plugs on the arm too, replacing them with tight rubber grommet/plugs.
No vacuum leaks which makes it more efficient.

ImageImageImage

I am happy with the results this machine gives. Makes a huge difference to sound. And not only on old, 2nd hand records but also on the brand new ones.
Every record we buy, goes on RCM first before ends on TT :)

So what you all using? If any?
  • AMP -Sugden A21; Pioneer SC-LX59 Home cinema
  • Speakers - Spendor D7 (Special Ebony finish)
  • Analogue - Clearaudio Concept MM
  • Phono - Clearaudio Nano
  • Digital - Philips CD753 with TDA1549; AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO; Sony BDP-S500
  • RCM - Project VC-S
  • Cables - Chord Epic Twin speaker cables; DIY Inteconnects (Van Damme)
[/size][/font]

alfer

Re: What RCM?

Unread post by alfer »

I tried a Spinclean but it was too much of a faff.

Despite spending modest amounts on Stylus, PSU, mats, setup costs to enhance my player even modern new 180g discs were scratchy miserable experiences and my raspberry pi plus I2S DAC sounds hugely improved (not night and day of course).

I tried ripping one LP yesterday strangely. Side 1 was a pleasure, side 2 was click, clack all the time - a pressing fault no RCM can sort.

Farewell vinyl
AtoZ

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

Unread post by Nihil Sleighride »

One of the new white Knosti for me with one of these.
http://highqual.co.uk/modified-clamp-pics/4580316614
Pi 4 - Volumio - SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC - Technics SL-1210 - LDA Power Supply - Ortofon TA-110 - Clearaudio Charisma V2 - Music First 632 - NVA P50SA - NVA A80 - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - NVA LS7/TIS

rikardo1979

alfer wrote:I tried a Spinclean but it was too much of a faff.

Despite spending modest amounts on Stylus, PSU, mats, setup costs to enhance my player even modern new 180g discs were scratchy miserable experiences and my raspberry pi plus I2S DAC sounds hugely improved (not night and day of course).

I tried ripping one LP yesterday strangely. Side 1 was a pleasure, side 2 was click, clack all the time - a pressing fault no RCM can sort.

Farewell vinyl
OK, fair enough ;)
So you not play vinyl at all so your vote is irrelevant :think:
  • Digital - Philips CD753 with TDA1549; AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023 TCXO; Sony BDP-S500
  • RCM - Project VC-S
[/size][/font]

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I still have one of these, a D3 discwasher. For thses (very) rare occasions when I play vinyl.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is the opposite to record cleaning, which is a little known process and I don't think available now, but very popular from the 60's into the early 70's. The best known version was Lenco Clean. You will find pictures on line but I can't be bothered to copy here. It worked on an arm like a Dust Bug, but it was a tube that contained a cream type fluid and brush type dispenser that tracked the record just in front of the stylus depositing the cream. The record did sound better but the best thing it did was suppress record surface noise. The problem was after many uses the cream formed a crud in the grooves and you had to wash your records.

I found a far better version of it in the 1980's which left far less crud on the records in itself but left a surface that allowed dust to stick so still needed cleaning off after time. But in this case a byproduct is the liquid is anhydrous (hydroscopic adsorption / drives and repels moisture away) which is beneficial to the cartridge, and incidentally to the surface of PCBs and other electronics and even metal cases of equipment. I have said what the liquid is before to howls of derision, so I don't talk about it now. It is well worth a try for those who have the courage and an old record. I talked about it around the time of the Peter Belt and Jimmy Hughes thing in the magazines and it got lumped in with that, but this has a physical function and an explanation technically why it works.

I wont tell you what the liquid is I will leave you to guess.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There is a less good version of this I have tried as well which doesn't have the drawbacks of the commercial wet systems or my little idea. It is Wet Playing http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... hp?t=22360

It is a bit of a faff though, another version of the same thing I have tried is ECO natural screen cleaner. Record left wet for the stylus to play through.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Wasn't there also a liquid that dried into a thin, clear layer on the LP? Then you peeled it off in one go and it took all the dirt with it. Late 70's - early 80's.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Still recommended now, it is basic wood glue called Resin W.

rikardo1979

Fretless wrote:Wasn't there also a liquid that dried into a thin, clear layer on the LP? Then you peeled it off in one go and it took all the dirt with it. Late 70's - early 80's.
some people even use PVA glue which I would never do as there is high risk something may stay in grooves. Also risk of damaging label

[BBvideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVlokpKb8O4[/BBvideo]
  • RCM - Project VC-S
[/size][/font]