SSPmk2 Oh Gawd,,,,,

All things NVA
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

SSPmk2 Oh Gawd,,,,,

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Along with Cubes, I've been threatened with a set of these to try for a while now, before I send them on loan to someone else...

Along with setting up a Chromecast Audio dongle (amazing on YouTube but I have yet to find a way to stream local music files although a very kind friend has given me some pointers), I thought I'd give the supplied set of SSPmk2's a try.

First, I thought they'd be unwieldy as the TIS can be, but they're not bad at all. I actually thought that under the black woven jacket, there may be only two conductors inside, but no, there are four :) The effect of four conductors, two for positive and two for return is, I believe, to halve the capacitance, at least I think that's how it works from an already low value on the SSC, which I normally use in my workroom stereo.

So, how do they sound? Well, of course cables all supposedly sound the same, but some sound more the same than others, if you see what I mean ;) To start with, the SC really is a 'get-you-going' level cable, giving a basically clean but perhaps slightly too straight-laced a presentation. I like this, but once the SSC is brought into the equation, the SC is soon discarded I think, as the bass is fleshed out more and the scale of the presentation is improved in my opinion. On AOS, the Klotz MC5000 with posher plugs has found many friends and I agree that it's very good indeed, with a slightly more 'organic' kind of presentation that suits more 'straight-laced' solid state gear in my experience (I use MC5000 in the living room system). Going to the TIS combines the best of both and it's damned hard to live without if your playback system allows it to work at its best.

So, what's the SSPmk2 like in comparison FFS? Right from the outset, it seemed to be a little better than my SSC's in terms of 'air' and 'atmosphere' reproduction. Bass is slightly more powerful I thought and 'tuneful' with it and this goes right up through the range, the midrange clear and open and with treble regions removing the last vestige of 'starkness' that the SC has just a touch of in comparison. The TIS may still have the edge overall, but it's still double the price of SSPmk2 and this latter is so good, I'm thinking that for most of us, it's possibly all you'll need in all honesty.

The 'Oh Gawd' bit means I'm going to have to get myself a set somehow. My workroom system is a bit convoluted, with a DAC with TIS into a P20 coming first, variably driving the headphone amp and the 'Direct' sockets taking line level (SSPmk2 goes here) out to the P50, which drives various power amps to taste, usually SSC to an NVA A70 dual-mono spec power amp. The difference with the SSPmk2 isn't huge as such in my lash-up, but like the TIS, it'll be much missed when it's finally removed from the system as its ability to delve more easily to the back of a recorded mix is important to me.

Anyway, come next week this cable will be available for loan and I'm keen to see if I'm correct here, or just imagining things?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SSPmk2 Oh Gawd,,,,,

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I shall let you know when you send them over! :guiness;

How much longer can I have the BMU for? I'd be really grateful for this weekend if possible :violin:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

OK, as I don't think anyone else wants it just now :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Wonderful. Thank you!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

You watch, we talk about SSP2 construction and Brains will copy it as he did with SSC for his Marco endorsed AoS cables. And of course there will be no acknowledgment as Marco wont allow it. New supa dupa AoS cable cometh :roll: - are any of them capable of any original thought, of course not but as long as Marco endorses it it must be the best - and Brains toddles along to do his bidding.

Their level of knowledge, a thread entitled do cables wear out :roll:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

That thread made me laugh

lets see , its copper , it has been the ground for billions of years and I am worried that once I stick a dialectic around it and plug it in to my hifi , it may wear out ;)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Does playing Heavy Metal wear out your cables faster than Classical music?
How often should you renew cabling before performance degrades ?

There is much material for endless debate here.

:banana-linedance: :banana-linedance: :banana-linedance: :banana-linedance: :banana-linedance: :teasing-tease:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 + LS6+ Sabaj A10a (2) + Little Bear MC2
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 (phono)Aiyima A07 MAX (2) + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

slinger wrote:Image

Love it, a box for giving yer cables head :lol: But not quite the type of box I prefer to dally with ;)

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Has anyone seen how *some* copper mains cables from the 70's goes off? I mean, greeny black tainted copper that seemingly has reacted to the dielectric material originally used.. I've seen Naim A4 cable in black do the same after some years. I know silver tarnishes on the surface but still conducts fine, but I did think that oxidised copper wouldn't conduct as well...

Guy - help please...