Allison Six refurb

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Allison Six refurb

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

:roll: stop nipping at each other you two.

:romance-grouphug:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Right of reply surely :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I agree, there is always right of reply. I am being a hypocrite as I really have a go at people when I want to, but only those outside the forum. Both of you are abiding to the no ad hominem rule, but there is an undercurrent of nip nip nip.

I have said before you are both good blokes IMO so I see no reason for it, but these things happen, so just ignore or go and have a real fight by PM.

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote::roll: stop nipping at each other you two.

:romance-grouphug:
+ 1. Two people whose thoughts I enjoy reading and who are intelligent human beings at one another on this forum spoils the friendly and helpful atmosphere on here. Please forget previous differences and continue with helpful advice to
others. :guiness;

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

After removing the wadding from my allison six's recently i was spurred on by this thread to consider other improvements i could possibly make to the six's being as in stock form they are imo a pretty impressive speaker and i have always been happy with there sound and presentation of music so i ordered a set of 8" doc mod drivers for them as the initial subject of this thread by Kaz had made me wonder what would this mod offer

The doc mod drivers arrived in the week and where fitted saturday afternoon and they have had about 6 hours use far to early for a proper review of the new units save to say they are at the moment sounding good if a little bass light the bass is there but at the moment the tweeters are ruling the presentation a little too much but as the doc mod drivers run in and open up i am shure this will settle down to give a great and balanced sound initial thoughts over the stock drivers is one of a better spacial balance left to right a more open sound the 3d character of the music is more apparent i may consider lining the cabs with sheet metal but for now i want to see how the bass drivers settle with use .
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Move them closer to the wall. Right up against it if you can.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You also need to remove any crossover components in line with the Bass/Mid driver, make it full range un interfered with, as the doping is doing the job of the crossover components, so the job is being done twice..

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Lazmo, well done on giving this a go, I look forward to learning more from your take on the matter. I haven't progressed my pair further of late, so the crossover work and plating remains. I will update this thread, but also now have another pair of speakers on there way to me, which I am looking forward to playing with! Will start a new thread once these arrive. :grin:

Sorry for the delay in getting the spare drivers to you Lazmo, they are packed and I will get them on their way to you shortly.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:You also need to remove any crossover components in line with the Bass/Mid driver, make it full range un interfered with, as the doping is doing the job of the crossover components, so the job is being done twice..
Ok Doc thanks for that info i will give a go in the week when i have more time ! once the bass driver is disconnected from the crossover do i leave the tweeter still connected to it nothing to be altered there ?
kazam wrote:Sorry for the delay in getting the spare drivers to you Lazmo, they are packed and I will get them on their way to you shortly.
No worries kazam at your leisure 8-)
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am more interested in you solving your frequency balance issue. The original Allison driver is light paper, the new one is heavier Kevlar and doped to remove the need for a crossover on it. So to re address the balance you have to move the speaker closer to wall or corner.

The tweeter stays as is, it needs the protection of the crossover network leg it is using.