Taking Risks in Buying Audio

All general audio posts go here.
paskinner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Taking Risks in Buying Audio

Unread post by paskinner »

A friend reminded me that I bought my entire system without auditioning any of it. I did what research I could, found the best price I could,,and then just bought the component. This is, of course, foolish and risky, we should always audition stuff before buying, etc etc. But it's not practical. Only a long period of listening at home, in your system and room, will tell you what you need to know. Dealers won't usually lend you stuff on that basis (well, they won't lend to me anyway). Buying stuff and then using the Sale of Goods Act (or whatever) to send it back seems unfair to the dealer.....
So, I gradually fell into the habit of buying stuff on the basis that I'd sell it on in many cases. Buying second hand minimises the risks....but it will cost. Mistakes usually do.
My question is this: is there a better way?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Taking Risks in Buying Audio

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Deal direct with a manufacture who gives a no quibble return guarantee if not happy.

Now I wonder who that is :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

:epop:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

:lol:
My past hi-fi habits mirror yours exactly paskinner. To be honest I quite enjoyed the "trial and error" approach, even if it was a little expensive at times. My hi-fi friends can't believe that I haven't changed a thing since going all NVA, but I simply don't feel the urge to change anything anymore. Well, maybe just a bit more NVA. . . . . . . . . 8-) 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

paskinner wrote:A friend reminded me that I bought my entire system without auditioning any of it. I did what research I could, found the best price I could,,and then just bought the component. This is, of course, foolish and risky, we should always audition stuff before buying, etc etc. But it's not practical. Only a long period of listening at home, in your system and room, will tell you what you need to know. Dealers won't usually lend you stuff on that basis (well, they won't lend to me anyway). Buying stuff and then using the Sale of Goods Act (or whatever) to send it back seems unfair to the dealer.....
So, I gradually fell into the habit of buying stuff on the basis that I'd sell it on in many cases. Buying second hand minimises the risks....but it will cost. Mistakes usually do.
My question is this: is there a better way?
Ive done exactly that. I feel its the best way up until recently, the good thing is NVA will give you a month to try there equipment in the comfort of your own home and if your not happy just send it back at no loss at all. You can still have fun buying and selling hifi by changing your sources until you get the best result.

I will let you into a little secret though once you go black (NVA) you dont go back! ;)

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Its ok to buy without demoing equipment, for me it was a Job225 amp but read good reports and was not disappointed. Now if you were spending £20,000 on speakers would you at least not want to demo at least three or four to make sure they were suitable in your system (I think speakers make more of a difference than any other component). I have had to do this in the past, not for my system but without a family member and although the differences maybe subtle spending this sort of money I feel you have to get right. I will also say when you are spending these sort of sums you DO need to demo.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Sorry my last post at the end did not make sense, I did demo speakers with a family member and also spending this sort of money on any component a demo is a must.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Demos before purchase? Why complicate the process of buying hi-fi equipment?

For me, buying hi-fi has become a very simple process. There are only 4 things that I need to know in order to make a buying decision:

1 How much was it when it was new?

2 How much does it weigh?

3 What is the going price for it these days?

4 How much will the particular item I'm looking at cost?

If it cost over a million Yen when new, weighs more than 30 / 20 / 70 kgs (for TT / amp / speakers), costs less than £500 now, or £1000 less than the going rate then I'll buy it without hesitation.