Home made cubes

A place for DIY project discussions.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Home made cubes

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Mate, when because of this every room you walked into at shows were playing it and if they weren't a large number of the space cadets were walking into rooms with a copy under their arms. When you walked into a flat earth dealer to show them your wears out it came to compare how Naim reproduced it, and you had to be the same presentation but better and of course you were never considered to be better. IF you had lived through that crap you would be as jaundiced by the records as I am. THO' yesterday with Terry we played Making Movies and it did sound fine.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Certainly one of the reasons I've never bought a Dire Straits record till the other week. :grin:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

joe

Unread post by joe »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: When you walked into a flat earth dealer to show them your wears out it came to compare how Naim reproduced it, and you had to be the same presentation but better and of course you were never considered to be better.
I very much enjoyed waving aside the Sound Organisation's offers of Ben Sidran, Dire Straits and the like and getting them to play my copy of 'Raw Power' by Iggy and the Stooges. It quickly drove the toe-tapping salesperson out of the demo room!

orbscure
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by orbscure »

I have to admit that I hated Dire Straits back in the day... but having pick up all of their studio album remasters on brand spanking new CD's and for silly prices from an HMV in Croydon, I have to say that they all sound damn good... now I never thought I'd ever say that! :shock:
Power: Restek MAMP monoblocks
PreAmp: Densen DM20
CDP: Sony SCD-555ES
DAC: M2Tech Young & Palmer PSU
Speakers: JBL4311 studio monitors
Streaming: Bespoke Korus server
Cabling: Belden 9497 speaker cable & NVA SSP interconnects

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

We had a bigger range of music, but still biased to the mid twenty year old graduates who usually bought the stuff. Joan Armatrading, Supertramp - various, Voyage by Brian Bennett, Brand X (Gawd bless 'em), Peter Gabriel III, Bob Marley, plus a whole load of other stuff either side of this era. The Dire Straits album we played most was later - Love Over Gold and 'everyone' had Brothers In Arms...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

Joe, you have to come clean about the salesman. I used to spend a lot of time there in the 80's. I can imagine that some of the chaps would have loved a bit of Iggy & Co.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

So after all these years I can finally hold something against the "Flat Earth Brigade" then? They stopped people listening to what those same people now know is bloody good music, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There was no internet Slinger, there was no way to challenge these people, the magazines were stitched up and the only way to break in was with a LARGE advertising budget. And a good review was a guarantee of nothing. I remember Linn reps telling their dealers, "well if you want to sell that turntable then you don't need ours" after Pink got a couple of very good reviews. And of course the famous case of a Linn rep being caught on camera fecking up a Pink T suspension in a shops dem room. I am told it was company policy passed down from on high. So the failure of PT wasn't entirely down to the incompetence of Pinky :lol: :lol:

Five years or more ago when I was the first to highlight all this on the forums I was vilified and called a liar, banned etc etc, and slowly now people are realising I was telling the truth. So many people now are saying it (still not enough), but am I acknowledged, of course not I am still vilified.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

PS - I thought the vote at TAS for me being the anti-christ would have been fun :whistle:

joe

Unread post by joe »

Stemcor1990 wrote:Joe, you have to come clean about the salesman. I used to spend a lot of time there in the 80's. I can imagine that some of the chaps would have loved a bit of Iggy & Co.
I think it was Roger Macer; he was the bloke who came and installed the Roksan I bought, anyway.