Powered Cube to Cubix (P7) to Cubix Pro (P11)

All things NVA
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Powered Cube to Cubix (P7) to Cubix Pro (P11)

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I visited NVA Towers this afternoon. A long drive made tolerable by some rather wonderful TeeDee music (Mala Kunia) and the prospect of Nadia's 'beigels...' Highlight of course was the chance to listen for the first time to the latest incarnation of the 'Cube 1's' in 'Powered Pro' version. They're not 'quite' cuboid these days - I estimate around 14" x 12" x 12"

The power supply boxes, one per channel, are almost the size of BMU's and both of these were plugged into the humungous MFBBMU, which 'sang' along with the music at first, but quietened down, thankfully, as the afternoon progressed and my ears recovered from the journey.

I'm not sure what kind of sound I was expecting from these in all honesty. I love the way the amps have with a musical signal, but these speakers, like their Allison ancestors, deliver the sound-waves in a different way to most other speakers. I have to say I was most impressed and went through track after track with my eyes closed and one in particular brought tears to my eyes... There's a HUGE advantage in having bass drivers directly connected to the amp, as the subtle softeniong effect of passive crossovers is totally missing here.

The main secret of these speakers (unfinished with lower units but truly representative of the Cube 'concept') is the bass and midrange clarity and musicality. What I'm going to say is valid I think to a thread we had some time ago about better systems and the way they reproduce less than perfect recordings. Led Zep II is one of those recordings where I believe the multi-tracks were recorded well, but some form of enhancement/compression was done at either the mixing or album-tape preparation stage, the end result being an powerful but often bloated bass that so far to my ears, no vinyl system can fully resolve. The Doc's rather special two-box Sony CD player had no issues here at all and the Cubes went on to resolve the bass and mids with no issues whatsoever. Indeed, 'Moby Dick' sounded superb, the distortion I hear so often being absent (the disc is the 1994 CD issue). The main driver being on top made no difference to bass and a wonderfully resolved airy feel to vocals, without ever sounding vague, 'over-ethereal' or room-smeary in the slightest.

As for the rest of it, I can't give chapter and verse on every track we played this afternoon, as the 'sound' gave way to the music so easily and totally. I'd love the chance to try angling (or not) the tweeter to see if this had any effect (this pair were slightly toed in). The treble was sweet and rarely drew attention to itself (it won't at all on vinyl I suspect).

In conclusion, I'm most impressed. I'm so 'conditioned' to direct facing speakers I find the sound of panel-type speakers and onmi's in general something that takes time to get used to. The Cubes do just what they're designed to do - work with the room instead of fighting it - and any stereo that stops me speaking for an hour while I get deeply into the music being played HAS to be a good one.. :lol:
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Sat May 09, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Powered Cube 1 (Cubix pro head unit)

Unread post by terrybooth »

I feel a long drive coming on. :grin:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Kaz (Kazam) is coming tomorrow for a listen so he can add to this. At the moment because I don't have time to build anything else there is a standard pot P50 and Soundcord on it. Kaz is bringing his TCS and TIS with him so it should push the system along a stage further. We will compare.

Anyway TA Dave (hack' cough, mumble, gob, where the ferk has my voice gone - f*ck I feel ill - I can't get rid of this FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFing cough / cold).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Sorry if my 'review' is blunt and not too full of waffle (for me anyway), but I like to take other people's stereo's as I find them as even identical systems can sound totally different in different rooms (as my LS5/9's most definitely showed me). The Doc's one just lets you kick back and get on with the music thang :lol: and I'm eager to hear how it develops as the extra layers are added.

P.S. My ear infection is just about under control and I made sure the affected ear canal was clean, not swollen/blocked and dry, especially for the occasion :roll: Trusting my ears is something I just cannot do these days :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

For those who want a list of music played. In order of play

Sara K - what matters
Getz / Gilberto
Ella & Louis - Together
Christy Moore - Ride on
Pletnev - Mozart Piano Concerto 20
Led Zepperlin 2
Dire Straights - Communique :roll: :oops: :x
Tea for the Tillerman - Cat Stevens
Johnny Cash - best

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

MAN.....It will be a belter when all units are together...... Would dearly love a listen. :cry:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Jammy it is only 10 hours each way by train from Elgin to Albany Park, and a mere pittance at £160 return. :lol:

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

I may see if i can cadge a lift in one of the SNP busses transporting loads of our MP's to the HOP. :mrgreen:
SNP MP BUS - Scotland to London Express..jpg
SNP MP BUS - Scotland to London Express..jpg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
:guiness; :lol:

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

jammy395 wrote:I may see if i can cadge a lift in one of the SNP busses transporting loads of our MP's to the HOP. :mrgreen:
SNP MP BUS - Scotland to London Express..jpg
:guiness; :lol:
It will be just like the 'Forty-Five all over again...hopefully without the bloody massacre at the end :)

Might I ask what the additional 2 units will do? Are they just for bass?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

All explained in the original thread. search Cubix Pro.