Life of Pi

A place for DIY project discussions.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Life of Pi

Unread post by Fretless »

Hell's teeth !! That Durio looks like it means business.

I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) and rip to FLAC. (see hydrogenaudio wiki for setup info)

http://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=EAC_and_FLAC

EAC really gets 100% of the data off a CD and I'll be surprised if you don't think that the FLAC's sound better than a CD player. I have also included on another thread how to get the best rips from HDCD-encoded CD's (if you have any).
On even quite damaged CD's you'll see EAC trying hard to go back over sections of disc to get as much data as it can.

There is also the option of running multiple sessions of EAC, I have an external USB CD/DVD drive from Samsung on my laptop so I can rip from 2 drives simultaneously. Seems to work fine.

I rip onto my laptops HDD, then copy the finished FLAC file over to a network disc. Then make a second copy to a USB HDD for archive and then clear the space on the laptop disk ready for more rips.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

walterwhite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Wales

Unread post by walterwhite »

Yep, that's pretty much what I was planning on, good to get some feedback first though - thanks :)
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I'd be interested to hear about the Durio - I've spotted it. I thik it uses a slightly different DAC chip to other cards and the construction is different so that you can power the Pro version separately.

Yes, EAC is what I use in exactly the way you say. I copy to a drive on my PC and then copy from there to a NAS box (three copies including the original CD - I think I'd be able to recover!)
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

walterwhite
Wales

I'll make sure to keep you all posted on its success or failure. It'll be a while before it's all up and running. I don't think it comes with a power supply, so that'll be the first thing to sort when it arrives.
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Well i finally sorted my pi issue's out after much mooching around on the internet and being led down the wrong road so to speak i came across a few things of use this being the closest to my problem the post at the bottom of the page on this link.
https://volumio.org/forum/libraries-doe ... t1892.html the guy has the same issue with the Nas box being involved .

So after checking my network properly as i have a err hurmm :shock: have quite a lot of items that connect to t'internet ethernet and wireless it was not that! it is all present and correct so after loading the volumio image a few times again (same sd card 8 gig 30 Mb's 200x so fast enough i decided to try a new card) same process happened no full file count :angry-steamingears:

Now having had a few isp problems (BT updating to fiber in my are) lately i decided to download a fresh image ( the last image used being a few weeks old after a reinstall/upgrade) of volumio via Torrent which was a hell of a lot faster than my ailing web download speeds lately :x remade the image on a brand new card LO and behold full file count and volumio is behaving itself i am kind of convinced that i had a bad image file but somewhwere in the process possibly downloaded when the connection dropped momentarily as it has recentley i'm not shure could also of been a faulty card i may try to recreate the problem with the old card when i'm bored stupid :shock: highly unlikely :lol: but it's all working as it should now . Phew 8-)
The LARGE print giveth - and the small print taketh away.

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

The Gravitech kit looks good walter cant wait to hear your thoughts on this when you get it up and running it looks very similar to another guys work ( i cant find the link for right now ) he's american maybe he's gone commercial with it will post the link later when i find it .

Lazmo
Jamaica

Unread post by Lazmo »

Here's that link it is the same guy he's now behind the Durio sound project by the looks of it http://www.tjaekel.com/T-DAC/raspi_dual.html

terrybooth
Great Britain

Not sure if it is an alias but the contact eMail has changed. Very helpful with a query of mine. On the dual mono board
For durio Dual mono is quite commercial word.It should be dual Stereo. We parallel I2S on both boards and parallel on output R and L. According to theory and what we can notify we found the sound is a bit smoother and it has lower jitter with higher SNR. My own system I have paralleled 4 boards together.
On separating from the PI so that it can be fed power separately (not this is the Pro board and not the dual mono board)
Yes, Durio Sound can be separated from RPI and you can provide separated power on both devices. You can either cut power PINs on RPI Board if you still wanna stack Durio Sound with RPI. With my knowledge please keep the cable for I2S connect as short as possible to prevent delay or jitter due to Lamda of Freq at i2s.

walterwhite
Wales

The Durio is still en-route from the USA, so no news yet. I'll keep you all informed as and when anything happens.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Nearly ordered one myself twice in the past week. :shock: Resisting so far. Need to conclude current experiments.

The other thing I'm eyeing up are I2S DAC boards.

If I've got this right, I2S is the interface used on CD and DVD players. So, I'm thinking, if I buy something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AK4399-DAC-as ... 418181a696, I'd need to fabricate a connector to get to the Pi I2S outputs. Volumio has a generic I2S driver. Then I'd need to resolve the problem that this board needs +12v and I've based my PSU build so far on producing +5v and +3.5 v