Life of Pi

A place for DIY project discussions.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Life of Pi

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

montechristo358 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:46 am I haven't but I;m 99% certain it won't sound any better than an allo signature and it won't have the functionality of a Squeezebox

I run Squeezebox server on an old PC, use a PI for the client and control with either its touchscreen or a tablet.

my wife is in her words "to technology what Michael Jackson was to child minding" and even she can use it
Ah, ok :grin:

I have a pal who uses Squeezebox server and has done for years - he abandoned CD's years ago and ripped them all (vinyl went in the 80's). Forgive me being such a dinosaur :oops:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

To settle this argument I challenge any of you to come up with something that has the functionality of a Cambridge CXN and significantly superior sound ( mainly DAC quality) for much less outlay. No more than 2 boxes and having a visual display that can do album artwork (can be a computer monitor) ! I will allow Chromecast audio device as an add on. Also must fit into a hi-fi system unobtrusively (likely fit a rack) and be operable by a technology numpty and be WAF friendly.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

The Cambridge CX series models are widely praised for their SQ, ease of use and VFM. Many of the units use technology developed by Cambridge for their high-end range (which cost far more)

I have heard the CXN and it sounds very good and their CXC CD transport gets my vote as the best in it's price range.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Welder
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Welder »

A cheap laptop with a SSD properly set up feeding the dac of your choice would be my challenger.
I set one up for my daughter a while ago.
I’ve tried the Pi albeit an earlier iteration; okay, but nothing to write home about.
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

I recently looked at this as i used to have a squeezebox years ago that packed up. Ive also used an apple tv as the head into a dac to stream music from the computer.
I looked for a modern alternative to the squeezebox for ages, then sacked it for a couple of years as i used my mac mini directly into a dac instead.

Fast forward and the mac had to be moved from where it was near the system and taken over by the kids to play online games, so was not viable again.
A pi was dismissed as the functionality wasnt there without buying a screen and some form of tablet to co trol it.

Criteria was to have a built in display readable from across the room, about 6m away, a digital out, and remote.

Nowhere to put a separate monitor and using the tv was not viable either as the kids are always using it, buying a tablet just to control a pi is not economical and it would just get pinched by the kids to watch youtube.

So i got another squeezebox classic. Well 2 actually so when one inevitably dies i have a spare.
Still cant find anything that does the same after nearly 15 years since the slim devices ones were released
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Toontrev

Unread post by Toontrev »

I was quite sceptical about the pi until I went ahead and tried it. Whilst it can be controlled with a tablet I just use my mobile phone. The phone app is great. As for sound quality and ease of use its tremendous. The whole thing fits on the palm of your hand its that small. The one I bought had to be assembled with a DAC HAT, apparently there are loads to choose from so it is more of a Diyer jobbie, but for price to performance ratio I doubt if there is much that can beat it.

Fretless
Netherlands

The DigiOne SIG is in and running.

And the bad news is ... it is a major step up from the already impressive DigiOne.

More later.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Fretless
Netherlands

Let's start with a basic fact: Raspberry Pi's were not intended to be high-end audio devices. Just tiny, work-horse computer boards that could be applied in a variety of ways. Try listening to the Pi's own headphone output - audiophile? Far from it.

A mini-industry has sprung up to make use of the data-streaming abilities of these boards and add-on's have been created to allow the music-lover to build cheap and effective digital audio sources. BUT the Pi is a noisy little critter, electronically, not refined with expensive circuitry to damp-down unwanted interference that might affect sound quality. And a major hinderance so far has been that the add-on audio boards have been dependent on the Pi for power and processing, carrying unwanted garbage into the audio signal chain.

The Allo DigiOne Signature turns this around. IT provides the power and uses the Pi as an add-on to receive and initially process the data-stream that it then turns into an SPDIF audio signal.

To achieve this, the Signature has 2 boards: The 'Dirty' board is directly attached to the Pi via the normal 40-pin connector. This board provides power to the Pi and receives the I2S data that the Pi pulls in from the network. the Wolfson chip on this board converts that into a raw SPDIF format that gets passed onto the next stage.

The 'Clean' board. This is where the magic happens. Connection to the rest of the unit is through a smaller 8-pin plug that is galvanically isolated from the other boards. The clean board has a separate power connection and is dedicated to one task - making sure that the SPDIF data is as exactly synchronised as possible. So that when the receiving DAC gets that data-stream, it can turn it into the most accurate analogue audio waves.

So the clean side has special ultra-low jitter clocking chips, high-quality components which can be fitted due to the extra space that the 2-level approach provides, and a substantial capacitor to ensure the smoothest possible electrical flow. Output is via BNC or RCA sockets - no optical as these are just too prone to jitter.

Assembly is the usual fun and cursing (I always make mistakes putting these things together) but you end up with something that looks pretty cool - the extra height from the 3-deck unit has more solidity to it.

Then its time to hook it up; simply swap over the Volumio SD card from the standard DigiOne into the Signature (they use the same setting), Then the ethernet and coax cables, and then firstly power to the Clean board from my LPSU (needs to be powered on first so the Pi can find it) - then power to the dirty board and the Pi from a standard 5V/3A wall-wart phone charger. On power-up the SQ was initially a bit 'dry' so I let the unit warm through overnight.

Sound: well, I fall very easily into gushes of abundant enthusiasm so I will try to exercise a little restraint here.

It's Bloody Amazing !!!!!!!!

Clarity. Control. Authority. There is a new sense of immense space in the music where room is given to every shade of detail. Bass is deeper and intenser.

Suddenly I experienced a familiar recognition. For a while I had a pair of Magnepan MMG panel magnetostatics in the system and these provided a glorious image that allowed you to look into the music as you would a painting. That sense was back - but now with my modest, refurbished Cube 3's doing the work and providing a rich, living vibrancy that the MMG's never quite could.

Actually I'm gobsmacked. This is now an audio experience of depth and impact that I have never had before. That's the fun with this hobby - these moments of total revelation when you think 'Shit - I didn't realise it could sound like THAT.'. Says something about the transparency of NVA gear in that every time the source improves, the rest of the system just glows and shines even better.

It might seem that the Signature is an expensive way to go for a Pi-based streamer, but it will reveal treasures beyond price. Honest.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Chunk McDaniel

Unread post by Chunk McDaniel »

Great review Fret. This sounds as if it could be a very interesting listen.

keepitsimplestupid
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by keepitsimplestupid »

It's a good time to be a pi user, loads of new stuff coming from several makers. I'm holding out for these.
Fifopi, reclocker board, dual XO, swapable clocks, multiple local reg stages.

Dual 9038qm ESS dac board with DOP/DSD and pcm to 768khz

ESS dac controller board

And the daddy pi PSU.
Multi-rail, smart charged LiFePO4 battery supply.

and what do you make with it all....!!!

It's going to be a busy new year