Re: Forum room for members system pics

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nope he has four legs :mrgreen:

nerica19
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by nerica19 »

I bought these Carver Amazing Platinum IV speakers on the off-chance last week and promoted the Royd/NVA system to the sitting room. First impressions are very favourable.Image
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I have to say , I am more impressed by them speakers than your dog is :grin:

joe

Unread post by joe »

I'm impressed by the dog!

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

carvers.jpg
carvers.jpg (230.11 KiB) Viewed 2514 times
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

nerica19

Yes, he is a fairly cool dog.

AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Thosw Carvers are interesting and unusual speakers. How do they sound compared to what you had before?

nerica19

Lindsayt wrote:Thosw Carvers are interesting and unusual speakers. How do they sound compared to what you had before?
Hi Lindsay - Well, they replaced a pair of Kef 105/3 and/or a pair of Royd Apex both of which I like(d) in their own individual ways. The Royds sit well with the NVA A60 amp etc, so they and it are downstairs now. The Carvers are hybrids and said to be very sensitive to positioning, so still experimenting, but they are actually easy to move as they are only 5in deep (no enclosure at all), although height and width wise they are fairly massive. Jury is still out on full-on rock music, but on acoustic/vocal and classical, to my ears at least, they are very good indeed, verging on the properly exceptional, with truly excellent mid range and high from the huge vertical ribbons and delightful clarity without being at all scratchy. Despite 4 x 12in bass drivers the bass is sweet too. The sound they put out either suits me, my system, or suits the room, or all three, and I love the fact that they go loud without sounding shouty or hurting your ears, so you get a lot of musical enjoyment for your money ( apparently $2495/pair in black, back in 1990), and a huge sound stage. My big Alner Hamblin amps in bridged mode seem up to the task too. System cabling is all SSP + LS6.

Plus I like their sheer idiosyncrasy and also the Carver ethos. Bob Carver looks like an interesting chap who always ploughed his own hifi furrow against the rest: <e.g. Wikipedia:> "Carver also later sued Stereophile magazine for its alleged bias against Carver products.". :lol: :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Carver

Anyone else had any experience of Carver stuff?

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Hope these have worked ok. I wanted to show you the TCS in place, which i am enjoying immensely. Will expand upon my initial thoughts at some point, as i couldn't seem to find that much information on the web prior to purchase. Spring cleaning windows!

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Looks ace Kazam......Enjoy :clap: