News/ Cartridge.

All general audio posts go here.
southall-1998
Wales

News/ Cartridge.

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I don't mind putting up this type of thread on here, because I like this place for it's big lack of bullshit and good attitude nature. Plus, I don't feel grumpy here :mrgreen:

Hopefully in the next 2 months (Or perhaps less!) the family and myself will be moving house. I'm a London birth and proud of it but we all fancy having a new life and challenge some place else.

My vinyl rig is in bits (Shame on me!) Plus I need to start looking for a replacement platter for my Cranfield/Townshend Elite Rock Turntable. My platter is in a bit of a state!

Once we have moved and settled in our next home, I will get my vinyl rig put together again.

My Tonearm is the old school Rega R200 (The ''S'' Shaped one) I do occasionally get that itch for a Townshend Excalibur tonearm.....God knows what they fetch these days? I know Audio Origami can fettle them if there is a problem with it. Some good news at least!

My Exposure X integrated has a built in MM phono stage. Loading- 47k/470pf & Sensitivity- 3.00mV

I'm a MM man, can the better experienced than me on here recommend me a MM cartridge that will electrically match the Exposure X phono stage?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

zebbo
Great Britain

Re: News/ Cartridge.

Unread post by zebbo »

Why do you describe yourself as a MM man? Bad experience with MC?
Anyhow, if it's MM you want you'd be hard pushed to better the Ortofon 2M Black it is superb IMHO.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

zebbo wrote:Why do you describe yourself as a MM man? Bad experience with MC?
Anyhow, if it's MM you want you'd be hard pushed to better the Ortofon 2M Black it is superb IMHO.
I think it's just physiological!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Try a Goldring 1042 MM i did and its my weapon of choice..... :violence-fencing:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I doubt the Exposure has a 470pf cap on the input that would be there for MC only. All MM needs is to be loaded with 47k ohms, if the cap is in circuit it will audibly roll off the treble.

Apart for the cap the 47k will do fine for any MM or high output MC cart.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The best MMs ever made (musically) are Decca / London but expensive and finicky in mechanical set up. I have run Super Gold in the PL71 arm which is very similar to the R200 and it was a really good combo. Another fun and very musical cart and a bit oddball is the Shure M3D which you have I think.

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

I know you'll get a balance recco here, i thought you hook up with Geoff (walpurgis) over at AoS periodically, i have a lot of time for Geoff over there,
from memory he uses and rates highly of the ZYX R50 Bloom, have you heard it and not like it hence the psycho thing about MC's?,
otherwise Zebbo's 2M Black recco is sound.

P.S. did you not see the recent Ebay ad for a job lot of 3 rock platters?, from memory he wasn't asking for a lot either.

P.S.S. good luck with the move.
Frank...made me do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

southall-1998 wrote:Hopefully in the next 2 months (Or perhaps less!) the family and myself will be moving house. I'm a London birth and proud of it but we all fancy having a new life and challenge some place else.
Trinidad :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
southall-1998 wrote:Hopefully in the next 2 months (Or perhaps less!) the family and myself will be moving house. I'm a London birth and proud of it but we all fancy having a new life and challenge some place else.
Trinidad :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So the recent visit was a site survey mission then. :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

He has family there.

Looking out the window, where would you prefer to be :x