Unipivots

All general audio posts go here.
Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unipivots

Unread post by Andrew »

Anyone tried them? I'm really curios now after buying a Mayware Formula IV and finding it to be the most enjoyable arm I've owned. It's hard to describe, but I just find it fresher more relaxed and more natural than other arms. Somehow it just puts me closer to the music and makes me realise just how much my previous arms got in the way of the music.

Is this a unipivot trait or a Mayware thing? If there are significantly better unipivots out there, I might be tempted. That said, I'm loving the Mayware, so I might just stick with it.

I'd always been put off by the wobbly nature of unipivots, but once set up this arm is a delight to use. I'd be interested to hear of anyone's thoughts or experiences on unipivots, especially the Mayware.
Last edited by Andrew on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Unipivots

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I had a Decca International way back, and also played with a Naim ARO. They irritate me, I hate watching them wobble, so not a fan.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I always thought there was a degree of visual similarity between the Decca and the Naim, although they were worlds apart in terms of price.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Andrew wrote:I always thought there was a degree of visual similarity between the Decca and the Naim, although they were worlds apart in terms of price.
Some say a similar story about the Roksan Nima being pretty close to the Aro.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They are much easier to design and make than a normal bearing.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Call me cheap, but I always liked the appearance of the (Gold) moerch tonearm. Years ago my father heard one, I didn't which is a pity!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They all sound basically the same to me, it is the musical pitch wobble (worse than belt drive :mrgreen: ) when they decide to dance due to foot fall or record warp, I just don't like it. The funniest thing was an ARO with a Linn LP12, on start up with the stylus in the groove the cart cantilever tried to tie itself in a knot :roll: .

How did those two companies get away with creating such badly designed crap :x

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

In theory they should work loverly.
In practice.....Oooo Er.

Helter Skelter....YoYo....Tiptoe....The wheel's on the bus go round and round - All spring to mind. :lol:

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I've just switched back to a standard gimbal arm: Just plain wrong-sounding, yet it sounded just fine until I experienced the Mayware. I'll see how I adjust after more listening. If I used a suspended deck, it might be a different story, but on my Analogue Works deck, the Mayware is lovely to use and a joy to hear. Unexpected but that's hifi for ya.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Never heard a Mayware, lots like it. My experience put me off, but it is just my experience.